Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sorry another mask rant

(123 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 01-Oct-20 09:31:07

Boris Johnson's dad seen shopping without a mask. His excuse that's he's been abroad for a couple of weeks! How long has mask wearing been compulsory - more than a couple of weeks, and what is more, decent people have been using them for many months out of consideration for others. If Mr Johnson Senior is not fined, (a la Mr (s)Cummings' exemption) , then what is that saying to the British people? I also sincerely hope that the bit of 'abroad' he's been in didn't require quarantine on return, or is he disregarding that as well? Sorry for the rant, having a bad day over all of this bl**dy covid situation.

NfkDumpling Thu 01-Oct-20 09:35:22

I forgot to put mine on as I walked into a local shop the other day - there was a chorus of "Mask!" from several directions. Without a lanyard or large badge you don't get away with it around here! How did he manage it?

Jane10 Thu 01-Oct-20 09:38:31

I occasionally see someone in a shop not wearing a mask but don't quite know what to do. I was shocked in Tesco last week to find that none of the staff stocking shelves or walking about were wearing masks including the manager. I'm swerving that branch.

Chewbacca Thu 01-Oct-20 09:38:37

Pretty much every shop around here has a notice on the door reminding customers that the must wear a mask before entering the shop. As for Stan Johnson... I would have though that having "been abroad for a couple of weeks" was even more reasons to wear one.

MrsRochester Thu 01-Oct-20 09:39:17

NfkDumpling

How did he manage it?“

Didn’t he manage to break isolation restrictions by using a circuitous route on his “essential” travel to the Greek Islands too?

EllanVannin Thu 01-Oct-20 09:42:51

He shouldn't even be leaving the country. It's flights to and fro that are adding to the spread.

EllanVannin Thu 01-Oct-20 09:45:25

If I'd have had my way things would have come to a complete halt in March for 3 months solid. I mean everything.
We wouldn't have all this nonsense now.
A virus has to be contained and it hasn't happened here.

Witzend Thu 01-Oct-20 09:48:32

Except for me and the bloke at the till, hardly anyone I see at the local corner shop wears one. They have a sign up saying 2 customers only, which generally seems to be adhered to, but nothing about masks.

IMO we’re generally not nearly tough enough with masks. It’s all too easy for anyone to say they’re exempt, if they don’t feel like wearing one.

The other day 2 very healthy looking teen/early 20s girls breezed into the corner shop - no masks - I happened to be glancing in their direction and one of them said, ‘What are you looking at?’ as they went past - in the sort of tone that made me think they actively wanted me to say something about masks, so they could tell me to f*ck off, you old bag. They just had that air about them if you know what I mean - sorry to use the C word, but chavvy.

IMO there’s quite a bit of this sort of attitude about.

Charleygirl5 Thu 01-Oct-20 09:48:59

I hate it when it obviously does not apply to him.

Nannytopsy Thu 01-Oct-20 09:49:05

Why isn’t most of Greece needing two weeks quarantine? Is it cynical to suggest it’s because Johnson senior has a house there?

pollyperkins Thu 01-Oct-20 09:55:52

In the big supermarkets here everyone wears masks but in the village corner shop it’s not the case. The one SJ was in looks like a small corner shop. Still no excuse though. Shouldn’t he be in quarantine if he’s been abroad?

Leah50 Thu 01-Oct-20 09:59:45

I felt very stupid yesterday, after an uncomfortably hot bus journey with steamed-up specs, I put my mask under my chin. Went straight into a charity shop, sanitised hands & completely forgot to put mask back up...I should have been shouted at.

TerriBull Thu 01-Oct-20 10:01:11

Many staff in supermarkets don't wear masks, I imagine having to wear them for the duration of what could be a long shift could be problematic for some. I thought I read somewhere that they have a choice in that. Sainsburys have intermittent announcements to the customer reminding them to wear masks and distance, although they do point out that some people are precluded from wearing masks due to certain medical conditions, although I doubt whether Stanley could use that excuse! I have to admit they can leave the wearer very hot and bothered at times, but we need to support the ethos of mask wearing to protect our fellow shoppers.

Aepgirl Thu 01-Oct-20 10:07:31

Stanley Johnson is an embarrassment and liability to his son. Boris is having a bad enough time at the moment without his father acting like a spoilt teenager.

Jane10 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:12:37

Staff in the supermarket I usually go to have to wear visors if going 'on the floor'. Some of them wear masks too.

Lexisgranny Thu 01-Oct-20 10:12:54

I was quite surprised when out to see that most young people were wearing disposable masks, I was expecting a wide range of styles matching outfits. We have to emergency disposables in the car, but the rest I made from material I had available. Double standards here - none of them particularly match anything I am wearing!

polnan Thu 01-Oct-20 10:13:25

He shouldn't even be leaving the country. It's flights to and fro that are adding to the spread.

I so agree Ellan Vannin.. I think you are the first one I have seen who says what I have been thinking for ages

polnan Thu 01-Oct-20 10:14:58

TerriBull, I have seen this comment before, but the nursing/doctors etc wear the masks and far more uncomfortable clothing etc for longer shifts than the shop workers..

Pantglas2 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:17:41

I don’t understand the argument about flights being dangerous if all recommendations are followed. Surely aircrew would be going down like flies by now? Perhaps cleverer minds than mine can explain why it hasn’t happened....

Froglady Thu 01-Oct-20 10:17:45

But no excuse for Stanley if he is caught again! Then slap him with a fine. What is it about 'celebrities' that make them think they are different and don't need to keep to the rules, which are there for their's and our protection? I despair of the human race sometimes.

Americanpie Thu 01-Oct-20 10:19:51

Sorry but I am totally against masks for the general population. Where I am people seem to think it's an invincible shield and stand six inches from you and I have to keep backing away. I much prefer sticking to the 2 metre rule. I do adhere to the rule re masks but hate it. I had the unfortunate experience to see one old man wearing a mask that appeared to show what he'd had for lunch! Ugh.

Parsley3 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:22:23

Is Greece on the quarantine list? Anyway, the PM has no credibility with me while he does nothing to address the behaviour of his own family and advisors. If they cannot follow his guidance why should we, the Great British public.

ps. I do follow the rules but I shout at the telly when the PM is in advisory mode.
“ What about Cummings and your Dad?”

trisher Thu 01-Oct-20 10:24:16

All I can think is 'like father, like son'. Both over privileged, self centred, egotistical individuals who think the rules don't apply to them.

QuickFire9 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:24:29

GrowingOldDisgracefully this is why the virus won’t go. The country is full of idiots like Stanley Johnson .

NotSpaghetti Thu 01-Oct-20 10:26:18

NannyTopsy, my friend has just come back from her little home on Greece. She is on one of the islands which still hasn't had a single case.
She did, however, say everyone was wearing masks in indoor spaces such as shops and she heard no real complaints about it.

If Johnson senior was in Greece he should be well practiced in mask wearing.