Gransnet forums

AIBU

How can I ask politely for money owed.?

(45 Posts)
Folkestone78 Thu 14-Jan-21 15:12:03

Can you help please. I was asked to knit two blankets for a colleague. After discussing the first blanket I said it would be £20 to cover the wool. The second blanket is needed two weeks later. All good so far. A week later we discussed the second blanket which is very similar . No problem to do them but how do I say that I had meant £20 per blanket , I am worried they think I meant £20 for the two. How can I clarify this politely? Thank you

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 14-Jan-21 15:15:39

If you haven’t knitted them yet, why not ring them and just ask them if they realised it was £20 each? and that you were just checking before you went ahead and purchased the wool.

GagaJo Thu 14-Jan-21 15:15:45

Do you have to talk to her face to face, or online / via email?

Ngaio1 Thu 14-Jan-21 15:19:29

The way your post reads is that £20 covered both blankets. I would ask if you had made it clear that this sum was for one blanket only and you were making sure that you had expressed this clearly.

cornishpatsy Thu 14-Jan-21 15:43:08

A text is less embarrassing saying what Oopsadaisy1 suggested, you can even add a smiley emoji to make it extra friendly.

GagaJo Thu 14-Jan-21 15:48:31

I agree cornishpatsy.

Folkestone78 Thu 14-Jan-21 16:38:13

Thank you . I can do it by text ; which feel less embarrassing; I just can’t seem to get the rights w ords

GagaJo Thu 14-Jan-21 16:43:13

What about something totally apologetic and humble?

Hello X,

Many apologies, but I feel I may have been a bit unclear about the cost to make the blankets? The wool for EACH is 20, therefore 40 in total.

Really sorry if I misled you. I didn't realise at the time I may have been unclear.

Is this still an acceptable price for you? 40 for both? Totally understand if you've changed your mind.

Apologies again

Grammaretto Thu 14-Jan-21 16:56:56

They are still cheap at that price. You don't say how big the blankets are but a handknitted blanket for £20 is a snip!

ElaineI Thu 14-Jan-21 22:54:59

I would read it as £20 for both but GagaJo's suggestion is good.

lemongrove Thu 14-Jan-21 22:59:20

Oopsadaisy1

If you haven’t knitted them yet, why not ring them and just ask them if they realised it was £20 each? and that you were just checking before you went ahead and purchased the wool.

Yes, I agree with Oops.....and make it crystal clear.

Doodledog Thu 14-Jan-21 23:08:39

lemongrove

Oopsadaisy1

Yes, I agree with Oops.....and make it crystal clear.

I would do this. Are you knitting them free of charge? I think that £20 per blanket is a very good deal, even if they are baby blankets, and given the length of time a blanket takes to knit you are already doing them a favour and should not be out of pocket on top of that.

vegansrock Fri 15-Jan-21 04:21:22

Have they already paid you the £20? You could text with something like -,
Just to clarify our conversation about the blankets. Each blanket takes xx balls of xx wool. These cost £xx per ball. Therefore the cost of the wool is £20 for each blanket, so £40 in total. This just covers my costs. I hope you are happy with this and apologise if I did not make this clear. I look forward to hearing from you.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Jan-21 05:42:19

Personally I would text her and say I have now completed the two blankets how would you like to pay the £40 in cash or into my account ?

Calendargirl Fri 15-Jan-21 07:25:38

I would never have found myself in this particular situation as I can’t knit!, but can well sympathise.

Too late I have agonised over the fact I have not been clear about how much I am expecting to get when selling something to a friend, or doing a little job for them. Often easier when dealing with strangers.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 08:18:04

Exactly Calendargirl. I have for years charged way below the going rate for private tuition. It was a parent of one of my tutees who told me to put my prices up! Nuff said.

Jane10 Fri 15-Jan-21 08:22:10

Em. Those are extremely wordy texts! They'd be OK for emails but texts?
I'd suggest 'Blankets £20 each. Still OK with you?'

harrigran Fri 15-Jan-21 09:00:10

Yarn for blankets is not cheap surely they would not expect two for £20, what about payment for your time ?
When I used to hand-knit jumpers, the price was the cost of the yarn and the same again for labour.
I think you need to contact this person and make sure they understand otherwise you will be out of pocket.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Jan-21 09:20:33

Jane10 I totally agree but I wouldn’t say £20 in the text as that’s all the person will connect with I d definitely say I ve finished your 2 blankets which will be total of £40 I only charge for the wool

Scentia Fri 15-Jan-21 09:41:14

If you were to knit me two blankets I would think £20 was very cheap and would assume you meant per blanket. Don't worry, just ask her to pay the £40 as soon as she is able. I am sure anyone would realise it was per blanket.

Rumpunch Fri 15-Jan-21 09:44:40

I would ask for payment for the first blanket so that you have the money to buy more wool for the second blanket.

Moggycuddler Fri 15-Jan-21 09:46:28

I would just text and say "Hi, the 2 blankets are ready, £20 each to cover the wool as agreed." If there was any misunderstanding, the recipient will probably just think it was them who misunderstood what you said originally. It's a good price anyway, so there shouldn't be any problem?

annab275 Fri 15-Jan-21 10:05:26

You are giving a considerable amount of time for free. Make it clear it’s £20 each without apology and have a look how much knitted blankets are onnotonthehighstreet (at least £36) and other market places. If she quibbles, just say that you are doing these as a kindness and would at least expect your materials to be covered .

4allweknow Fri 15-Jan-21 10:18:55

Blankets ready. How do you wish to pay? Cost of wool @ £20 per blanket. Happy with cash or bank payment. Surely she will add something for your time and effort too.

Grammaretto Fri 15-Jan-21 10:26:11

I like it Jane10 and Bluebelle.

I went into a posh yarn shop in Edinburgh when we could and asked about a sweater in the window. By the time I had been shown the wool required plus the pattern it came to a little under £100. I gasped and said I still have to knit it and backed out of the shop.
I found some cheaper wool on-line and made it for £30 but was sorry to see that shop has now closed.