Gransnet forums

AIBU

Wobbly legs...my fault!

(64 Posts)
Glenfinnan Thu 04-Mar-21 09:06:49

When I get up these mornings my legs feel wobbly! I have had every intention of walking everyday during this pandemic but haven’t done it! So now suffering the consequences! So today I’m starting a walk every day! Use it or lose it!

Hetty58 Thu 04-Mar-21 09:08:03

Exactly, get moving Glenfinnan!

Witzend Thu 04-Mar-21 09:11:14

Just think how nice and virtuous you’ll feel afterwards!

Must admit that I do sometimes really have to force myself - especially yesterday, when it was grey and misty with a bit of drizzle thrown in, and all I wanted to do was slob on the sofa with my book!

foxie48 Thu 04-Mar-21 09:15:57

Good for the legs, good for your balance and good for the soul! I had a health issue last summer which meant I was struggling to walk any distance and I really missed it. I am so glad to be out walking my dog again even when it wet and windy! Get your walking shoes on and get going!

MissChateline Thu 04-Mar-21 09:16:20

Go for it. Walking is wonderful exercise and really great for all aspects of your health. I make sure I do 10 miles every day. A walk through the woods and fields before breakfast for an hour and at least a couple of hours after lunch up on the moors. There are days when I really don’t want to go out but always make myself as I know how great I will feel having done it. Even in the rain and snow.
The benefits of healthy living were starkly spelt out this morning with a report that the countries with the most overweight and obese population suffered from covid mortality the worst. Age is something we can’t do anything about but looking after our health is definitely something we should all take responsibility for.
The best bit about going for a walk is that it is free!

vampirequeen Thu 04-Mar-21 09:17:03

I struggled to walk after Covid. I'm still building my distances back up.

Hetty58 Thu 04-Mar-21 09:36:55

Witzend I know that feeling of just wanting to sit by the fire. It's such a drag getting all wrapped up to go out.

Still, unless it's raining, there's a little doggie face just pleading for walkies - so off we go.

It's amazing, just how great I feel when I'm half way down the road, though, simply wonderful out there!

Ellianne Thu 04-Mar-21 09:44:47

That's a good attitude MissChateline.

Glenfinnan
1) make an early start, by the afternoon I am less keen
2) get a dog who likes to run free
3) invest in good walking shoes and coat
4) buy a step counter gadget to play games with your own performance
Just go for it and feel so much better, mentally and physically.

Kim19 Thu 04-Mar-21 09:52:06

I walk for an hour every day, unless the weather is completely intolerable, mostly afternoons. Does it for me mentally and physically. Spring promise is longed for.

midgey Thu 04-Mar-21 10:08:48

I do agree, if it wasn’t for my dog there are many days when I wouldn’t bother to go out. I find the most important thing about walking is shoes or boots that are comfortable!

Aveline Thu 04-Mar-21 10:20:04

I make my myself have a walk each day. I no longer enjoy it at all. It's a matter of 'just get on with it and get it over with'. I used to quite enjoy a walk but with Covid I've walked every possible permutation possible round here. I just plug in my earphones and listen to something potentially amusing as I trudge round. I meet lots of lone walkers doing the same thing each day. We acknowledge each other with a grimace.
I like the virtuous feeling once I've done it and checked my Fitbit to see if I've done enough.

Nell8 Thu 04-Mar-21 10:44:50

Go for it Glenfinnan! Now that Spring is here there's something new to see outside every day.

If the rain is bucketing down and the footpaths are dangerously slippy you can still give those wobbly legs a workout by marching on the spot in an energetic way while the kettle boils. Another exercise is standing at your kitchen sink with your feet hip width apart then slowly rising up and down on tiptoe.

I feel a bit of a hypocrite dispensing this advice as I sit slumped in my armchair with a mug of coffee and little intention of moving...... better assume the standing position and get my circulation going!

Callistemon Thu 04-Mar-21 10:49:09

Oh dear.
It's so chilly out there, do I have to?

ExD Thu 04-Mar-21 10:52:09

Oh wow, how enthusiastic you all are.
What do I do with arthritis in both ankles, and feet that swell up out of all my shoes and slippers after a walk of half a mile? Gawd they hurt, every step brings up shooting stabs into my right foot ..... and, you're right, your balance suffers.
I do sometimes walk down the road to the church and back, but I pay for it later.
I get pain killing injections - but the clinic isn't open at the moment.

Doodledog Thu 04-Mar-21 10:53:59

I've been the same, as I have asthma, and have not wanted to take nay risks withe the virus, so have stayed indoors for a year now. I think I would have found a way to do more if I'd realised how long this was going to go on, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I recently bought a 'cycle' thing that is intended to go under the desk of office workers, and plan to build up to a couple of miles on that. I'll have to take it slowly, though, as I'm so out of condition. I know it's not the same as getting fresh air, but at this stage I feel as though I should wait until I get my vaccination - after all this time I don't see the point in taking risks now.

When I've been vaccinated I hope I'll feel more confident about going out, even if it's to places where there are very few people.

Caramac Thu 04-Mar-21 11:07:15

Please, please try and walk every day. You mobility is so important and if you lose it you lose so much more - possibly your independence,(assuming you are independent).
Diabetes UK have advised walking within your home if you are shielding and if I’ve not done 10,000 steps by evening that’s what I do.
The better weather is on its way, many people are being vaccinated, (I’ve had Covid and since had first vaccination), and being mobile will help you enjoy a little more freedom and fresh air.
After Covid I had no energy to walk at all but once I started to feel better I pushed myself to walk my dog, only 3,000 steps followed by a rest initially. Now I’m back up to 10 -15k per day. On Tuesday I did 22k.
I’m also doing the 3000 squats in March challenge. You need to be walking well I think to start squats and maybe use a chair for balance if needed but boy it strengthens your legs.
Good luck with your walking efforts everyone.

Callistemon Thu 04-Mar-21 11:09:34

ExD sending sympathy.
I have terrible feet and now it seems to be affecting my knees and hips.

Is it still good to walk if you can hear your knees creaking/grinding at every step?

EllanVannin Thu 04-Mar-21 11:14:49

Lack of movement has been my downfall this last 12 months too and if I do visit the local shop, I scurry rather than take my time. I was always walking somewhere, through the local park then along the prom but feel it's going to take a while before I get in my stride again.

I can relate to the wobbly legs Glenfinnan, a horrible feeling, also the balance goes haywire too as I have to lean on the wall to put tights and trousers on, which is worrying. I've got no excess weight either----greyhound breed grin which should make it all the easier to get back to how I was, but I've gone lazy if the truth be known.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 04-Mar-21 11:21:01

I’ve just started walking out around 715am it’s great hardly anyone about, down to the town and back changing routes depending what the weather is like, this morning it was fine rain so I came back the quicker way, you do feel good though it sets me up for the rest of the day, and to be honest I like to look at my iwatch to see how many steps I’ve achieved every night before I go to bed, and try to improve each day,

Ashcombe Thu 04-Mar-21 11:21:06

I have six exercise videos links, supplied by my “Move It Or Lose It” teacher last summer. I use them when the weather prevents me walking. If you'd like me to share them with you, then please PM your email address to me.

humptydumpty Thu 04-Mar-21 12:14:13

Since I live in a ground floor flat, there've been no stairs to go up/down - have just started going into work a cou[le of afternoons a week where I have to go up stairs from ground floor to second floor and was appalled by how exhausted I was when I got to the top sad

JenniferEccles Thu 04-Mar-21 12:14:56

Going out for a walk is so much more appealing when the weather is good and even though I do try to get out every day, I’m not so motivated that I stride out in the rain!
However on dry days I do head to the village to buy the newspaper and sometimes if I am with a friend we will get a takeaway coffee and sit somewhere before heading back.
Very enjoyable. Ten miles a day though? Wow that is an achievement.

I remember reading a comment from a physiotherapist who said that if we sit around too much, our fitness levels drop far quicker than most people realise.

Nell8 Thu 04-Mar-21 12:21:34

I've just remembered there are several simple leg exercises that can be carried out whilst you lie on your bed to take the weight off your joints. I was given a sheet of them to do to build up muscle strength after my hip replacement op. The next set could be done while standing and holding on to a worktop. I'm sure all GPs and physios would be able to advise.

ginny Thu 04-Mar-21 12:28:29

We go out each day although I must admit I often have to convince myself to go. Usually go in the morning .
When I’m by the sea or on holiday I am quite happy to wander all day. The promise of tea and ‘stickies’ at the end always helps.

Spinnaker Thu 04-Mar-21 12:39:15

Just started walking again - properly this time grin

Now looking for an upgrade in suitable trainers - anyone have any recommends please ?