Gransnet forums

AIBU

Complimentary hotel toiletries... love them or hate them?

(89 Posts)
Sago Mon 12-Apr-21 18:08:32

AIBU? I hate the little bottles and tubes left in hotel/ self catering accommodation.
It’s just landfill!
Apart from a hotel in Dubai that gave generous Hermes trios I have never had quality items nor have I ever relied on them.
A small bar of hand soap fine but spare me the wasteful plastic bottles.
One of our favourite hotels has vintage decanters filled with bath oil, far nicer.
Is it just me?

BlueBelle Mon 12-Apr-21 18:14:14

Only stayed in a hotel once for my first honeymoon Can’t remember if there was anything I usually do self catering, caravan, tents, narrow boat, or B and B
What’s a ‘Hermes trio’ I only know them as a parcel delivery firm

Buffybee Mon 12-Apr-21 18:14:55

I agree! They’re absolutely useless and I always scoop them out of the way.
When I was first married we staying at the George V in Paris and as we were packing to leave, I decided to throw the little bottles etc in the case.
My husband told me, he didn’t think we needed to do that and I blushed as I put them back into the bathroom.

welbeck Mon 12-Apr-21 18:15:09

apart from saying what's a hotel ??
no i disagree.
if i am paying for a room, i appreciate items i can take away for future use or use there and then.
i don't like the idea of re-fillables, even before all this.
i like separate sealed items. i don't care about brand. think they are all much the same basically.

Sago Mon 12-Apr-21 18:20:26

BlueBelle Should have been Hermès!

Gannygangan Mon 12-Apr-21 18:22:05

Oh I love the little bottles of this. that and the other.

Always makes me smile.

AmberSpyglass Mon 12-Apr-21 18:33:01

I never remember to bring stuff like that, so it’s always useful!

GrandmaKT Mon 12-Apr-21 18:36:35

I find them very useful to carry around when I am travelling, especially when flying (remember that?!) and only taking hand luggage.
I appreciate what you are saying about landfill, but I do sometimes reuse the bottles by re-filling from big bottles.

NotSpaghetti Mon 12-Apr-21 18:43:58

I have had both good and bad in hotels and also self-catering.
I loathe the sachets you have to rip open and don't like the same pump-thing in the shower as in the washbasin.

I do love it if they are lush though. And not all are in tiny plastic either.

Maggiemaybe Mon 12-Apr-21 18:46:02

I’ve had some really nice ones over the years. But yes, I’d much prefer to have big refillable bottles of toiletries in the room.

Casdon Mon 12-Apr-21 18:49:32

Love them - the last hotel I stayed in had miniature bottles but made out of glass, and bamboo toothbrushes, which I thought was a good compromise.

Elusivebutterfly Mon 12-Apr-21 18:51:36

I've only seen very cheap products which I don't like so don't use them. If I went to expensive hotels maybe the products would be better.

Auntieflo Mon 12-Apr-21 18:55:40

I usually love the toiletries in hotel rooms.

I did see, a programme, some time ago, about all the left over soaps etc.
There is a company that collects them all, they are then made into new bars, and distributed to countries where people who cannot afford these things.
Perhaps it can be Googled, I'm not sure. I'll have a look.
There may be someone on here who has heard of this as well.

Jaxjacky Mon 12-Apr-21 18:57:00

Many moons ago, late 80’s/90’s, when I travelled a lot, I loved them and anything I didn’t use was bought home for the children when they were old enough. This was in the days you used to get a lovely little flight package with socks, toothpaste and brush etc. There wasn’t so much eco awareness then.

Blossoming Mon 12-Apr-21 18:57:14

I love the ones in Malmaison in Oxford ?

J52 Mon 12-Apr-21 18:58:14

I prefer my own brands, but if they’re a good quality brand I’ll take them home. Useful if making a short trip with only hand luggage.
Complimentary tooth brushes are useful to use when cleaning grout etc.

Grannynannywanny Mon 12-Apr-21 18:59:25

My problem is that they are so small I can’t read which is shower gel and which is shampoo/conditioner. I’ve already got my glasses off by the time I’m in the hotel bathroom and the water is running.

If I go back into the room for my glasses they steam up and I’m none the wiser! So, I only use them if I forget to bring my own.

CanadianGran Mon 12-Apr-21 19:13:30

Grannynannywanny (long name!) I find the same. Now I make sure to find out which is the shampoo before I step in the shower!

Depending on the quality of the products I will use what I need and leave the rest to the side so they know they are not touched. When travel was a novelty for us I would take what was not used and bring it home, but found I had a collection of unused products, so don't do that anymore. Unless I find a really nice little wrapped bar soap. The Fairmont in Vancouver has divine rose scented soaps, and they leave one by the bath and one by the sink. One of them will come home with me.smile

The only place I have seen dispensers in the showers have been in all-inclusive resorts, and some budget hotels. It's fine by me either way. Less waste for sure. I wonder if better quality hotels will start doing the same.

Grannynannywanny Mon 12-Apr-21 19:39:06

I’ve never been keen on using multi use dispensers on the occasions I’ve come across them in hotel bathrooms.

I think they’re less likely to measure up to hygiene standards now thanks to covid and everywhere will have single use items.

Puzzler61 Mon 12-Apr-21 19:44:43

We once stayed at a lovely hotel in Cyprus and the bathroom goodies were Molton Brown. Those were a real treat.

NotAGran55 Mon 12-Apr-21 19:49:23

Agree Blossoming Malmaison are very amusing smile

They do vary , I never use the shampoo and conditioner as I’m fussy about my products, but do like to try the shower gels . They do vary though , some great, others less so .

Maggiemaybe Mon 12-Apr-21 20:02:45

There is a company that collects them all, they are then made into new bars, and distributed to countries where people who cannot afford these things.

That’s good to know, Auntieflo. I really hate waste. I’ve often wondered if all those little hotel bottles are refilled, but somehow I doubt it.

J52 Mon 12-Apr-21 20:06:33

CanadianGran ohh Fairmonts, totally agree. We ‘ve stayed in several Fairmonts. Lovely toiletries. Lovely everything else!

Witzend Mon 12-Apr-21 20:10:13

I never use them - I take my own.
I’ve known people who hoover them all up to take home and use, though - most notably an old aunt of dh who I used to call Queen Midas!
She would also hoover up any sachets of sugar etc. in cafes. Needless to add, she was far from hard up.

fiorentina51 Mon 12-Apr-21 20:17:54

A local charity helping homeless people, use the freebie toiletries donated to them and put together wash packs for their clients. I think this is a national initiative.