Gransnet forums

AIBU

BBC overkill on reporting proposed european super league

(114 Posts)
EkwaNimitee Tue 20-Apr-21 13:24:08

I'm a regular listener to Radio 4's 5pm, the 6pm News and the World Tonight at 10pm. Yesterday, the lead news item on all 3 was the proposed european superleague for football. Each program had lengthy discussions on the subject. And the same today so far.
Is there really nothing more important or interesting going on in the country and the world than this?! Past surveys I've seen show that the majority of us just aren't interested in football. So why? Any answers anyone?

Lucca Tue 20-Apr-21 13:28:54

So last week BBC got it in the neck for too much about princess Philip, now too much about super league.......who thinks they could do a better job ?

Casdon Tue 20-Apr-21 13:31:43

Football is the most popular sport in the UK, 46% of the population are regular viewers, me included.

This is the biggest news in football in the last 20 years or longer, it will completely change the landscape of the sport in the UK if it comes off.

There’s no type of news that interests everybody, but this is huge for those who are interested.

Alegrias1 Tue 20-Apr-21 13:31:46

I think the scale of the coverage is less about the actual football and more about the fact that half a dozen super rich club owners think they can mess about with a hundred-year-old system and undermine it for their own gains.

I'm not even going to mention Lucca's typo in case I get sent to the Tower.

millymouge Tue 20-Apr-21 13:33:10

I hate to say it but I honestly don’t know what the European Super League for football is about shock

Ilovecheese Tue 20-Apr-21 13:33:15

Boris Johnson is apparently considering holding cobra meeting about it, he might attend this one.

Ilovecheese Tue 20-Apr-21 13:34:36

He is also threatening to use a "legislative bomb" to stop this happening. He seems to think this is very very important.

nanna8 Tue 20-Apr-21 13:36:22

It even reached Australia and the Melbourne talk backs. No one who rang in supported what they see as the destruction of the game. Not being really into soccer, I don’t really have an opinion.

Lucca Tue 20-Apr-21 13:37:34

Aaaaargh.... so sorry ?

Jaxjacky Tue 20-Apr-21 13:41:22

In the 2019 season, in England and Wales, aggregate attendance was over 30 million, that’s how popular it is. That’s just league 2 up to the Premiership. I used to be a season ticket holder before I got an allotment and know many who still are. The majority who subscribe to either BT or Sky sport do so for the football. So, EkwaNimitee it is, as others have said, extremely popular. I won’t voice my views on this current proposal!

Bibbity Tue 20-Apr-21 13:56:17

It’s understandable if you’re not into football to be bored by it.

But this is massive news that is deserving of up to date courage.

maddyone Tue 20-Apr-21 14:17:24

I don’t give a toss about football. They can do whatever they want. There has been a lot on the news about it, but I only get fed up with it because I’m not remotely interested.

Ngaio1 Tue 20-Apr-21 14:20:40

I cannot fathom why it was given any air time. Boring.

Blossoming Tue 20-Apr-21 14:22:18

It’s taking people’s minds off the lobbying scandal, the two jobs scandal and the race report.

Oldwoman70 Tue 20-Apr-21 14:25:11

I'm not interested in sport but listening to the reports it does seem like this is a really big deal. I gather some supporters of these clubs are tearing up their season tickets (personally I would have tried to get a refund but have no idea if that is possible).

It seems this it is thought this Super League will have a detrimental effect on the clubs in the lower leagues so perhaps it is big enough news to take up time on the various news channels.

Casdon Tue 20-Apr-21 14:38:59

To quote Bill Shankly:
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

Whether we like it or not, sport is the lifeblood of millions of people in this country, and it’s absolutely appropriate for this to be given top billing on the news. Politics is there every day.

eazybee Tue 20-Apr-21 14:46:59

This is an area the fans could have some impact if they stopped buying the overpriced tickets and attendant merchandise and stopped paying extra to watch these matches on television. But they won't.

Personally. I loathe football but many people don't, and they are being deprived of a relatively innocent pleasure by the greed of American venture capitalists.

Alegrias1 Tue 20-Apr-21 14:53:49

Abramovich is Russian, Lewis is British and Mansour is from Abu Dhabi. Its not only rich Americans who are ruining the game.

varian Tue 20-Apr-21 14:55:31

I believe that German football teams must have a majority of their shares owned by the fans which may be one reason that no German teams have joined this group

Loislovesstewie Tue 20-Apr-21 14:58:10

Not just Americans but also various Middle Eastern countries, China, Russia, Thailand, Pakistan, Italy the list goes on.
The clubs have made it clear that the fans don't matter, profit is the name of the game.

EkwaNimitee Tue 20-Apr-21 15:12:49

It may be of interest to millions but that hardly justifies it taking precedence over everything else that's going on in the world. That's the point I'm making.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Apr-21 15:17:40

I thought the Tories were strong proponents of laissez faire?

Loislovesstewie Tue 20-Apr-21 15:24:07

EkwaNimitee

It may be of interest to millions but that hardly justifies it taking precedence over everything else that's going on in the world. That's the point I'm making.

Well, some people are interested in one topic, others not, that's just the way it goes. Tomorrow it will be something else that takes precedence, today's news wraps up fish and chips tomorrow.

Casdon Tue 20-Apr-21 15:25:26

I’m not sure you’re fully in the picture EkwaNimitee. If it comes to the crunch and Boris is seen to have a hand in stopping this happening, his personal kudos will rise enough for him to have a very good chance to win the next election, no matter what else happens in the interim, that’s how important it is to the future. I hope the football bodies themselves can sort it out without government intervention.

M0nica Tue 20-Apr-21 15:45:42

I have zero interest in football, but can understand enough to understand that this is all about a group of wealthy men who own some of the top football clubs for the money they can make for them, trying to make sure that they can make even more money by running their teams seperately from everyone else and to the disadvantage of the remaining national teams in whatever country they are in.

Football is a game that started as a street/village green game that flourished and grew and as well as being fun to play, requiring little in the way of expensive equipment or kit, watch children playing it in any park or playground, became very popular a spectator sport that is now being exploited by, mainly, indecently rich men, to make themselves richer.

The principles here go further than the game and the rich parasites who own them. It goes right back to the purpose of sport and who does it at playing field and sports centre level and people's commitment to their sport and to see greedy guys like this lot, damage the way the sport runs just for the money, is distasteful, to put it mildly.

I think professional football clubs should be owned partly by their fans, who should be able to affect how the club is run.