Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bad jokes

(16 Posts)
nanna8 Sun 28-Nov-21 11:05:51

I often tell corny jokes when I am involved in public speaking and people often give me jokes to tell because they like them. The other day I was given one of those Irish homes but I told the person who gave it to me that I couldn’t use it because I thought it was offensive. She thought I was being too precious but I don’t really see why it is not racist to tell Irish jokes to the detriment of Irish people whereas if it had been a joke about Africans or Asians it would definitely be considered racist. They are all the same to me.

nanna8 Sun 28-Nov-21 11:06:16

Irish jokes not homes

Ali08 Sun 28-Nov-21 11:50:09

I really don't want to get into this, but good for you for standing up for what you believe in!!!
Some jokes can be taken too far, so next time just say thanks and put it on the back burner!

Judy54 Sun 28-Nov-21 16:30:30

It all depends on how other people receive our jokes. They may be funny to us but not necessarily to the recipient.

Grandmabatty Sun 28-Nov-21 17:02:27

Any joke which relies on stereotypes of anyone isn't a joke in my book. A joke is only funny if both sides find it so. Good for you. My ex husband used to make unpleasant remarks about me and then claimed I couldn't take a joke. It's a well documented form of abuse.

Granniesunite Sun 28-Nov-21 17:26:44

Grandmabatty my eldest AC knows that feeling all too well. flowers

Coastpath Sun 28-Nov-21 17:59:28

Totally agree with Grandmabatty.

Dickens Sun 28-Nov-21 19:57:01

I think there's a subtle difference between joking - in a gentle and affectionate way - about people's idiosyncrasies, and mocking them for their perceived stupidity... and those 'Irish' jokes usually fall into the latter group.

People's whimsies can be quite endearing - and they can often join in the joke and usually with such banter, there is no malice or intention to insult or hurt.

ValerieF Sun 28-Nov-21 20:42:37

Not really knowing what “one of those Irish homes” is. I do believe people are losing the ability to laugh and joke for fear of offending. Look at it objectively, any joke observing human nature is at the expense of someone whether it’s wife, colleague, parent, friend. Look at say Peter Kay, Romesh, not to mention those in past.

It’s getting to stage nobody can say anything for fear of offending someone!

I absolutely ADORE Ronesh and his mum in the Ranganation because they are funny, self deprecating in a harmless way but I’ve cried laughing at them.

Too many people fearful of offending now. Loved a comment Romesh said “How exactly would I know If someone hated me because I am black or just because I am a total a**hole??. Made me laugh.

Urmstongran Sun 28-Nov-21 20:45:40

I agree.
We’ve moved on as a society from ‘there’s an Englishman, a Irishman and a (whatever the jokes were) in a pub’ etc.
Stereotypical profiling, mostly harmless but nowadays? No. It’s not right in my opinion.
Best leave those kind of ‘jokes’ where they belong ... in the past.

MissAdventure Sun 28-Nov-21 20:57:52

I'm not bothered about jokes.
As far as I'm concerned, if you go to see a comedian then you've a pretty good idea about their subject matter.
I watched Billy Connolly earlier, talking about Irish and Scots people, and he just pokes gentle fun at them, as I see it.

Kate1949 Mon 29-Nov-21 08:52:07

My family are Irish and have always laughed at Irish jokes. They're not just laughing to 'join in'. They can laugh at themselves.

25Avalon Mon 29-Nov-21 09:10:18

Surely we don’t really believe that Irish people are like the jokes, anymore than we believe blondes are dumb like the jokes? You can substitute other groups in the joke such as a rival football team. So long as everyone sees it for what it is they can be quite clever in their construction. The difference is being laughed with rather than laughed at.

Sarnia Mon 29-Nov-21 09:36:20

My husband was Irish and took it all in good part when the Paddy jokes started. He gave as good as he got but in those days people didn't take offence to the slightest thing said to them. I think people got on better then, having a bit of banter between themselves.

eazybee Mon 29-Nov-21 12:53:23

Many years ago, when Irish jokes were at their peak we met some Belgians, French and South Africans on holiday in Greece. Many of the jokes were current in all those countries: the Greeks against the Cypriots, the Flemish against the Walloons, the French against the Belgians and the South Africans against the probably not allowed to say it so I won't.
But roughly the same content.

JenniferEccles Mon 29-Nov-21 13:11:16

I guess it all boils down to how far the jokes are prepared to go simply to get laughs from certain quarters.

Certainly lots of comedians from years back would find that their jokes wouldn’t go down well these days, but I think the exception to that would be Dave Allen.
His humour was gentle, self deprecating, and being Irish himself made it all acceptable, even I would have thought to the permanently offended brigade.

“May your God be with you” !