Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect more than .......

(29 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 06-Dec-21 16:40:43

just an exchange ?
DH bought 4 yogurts in Aldi this morning. I looked when he got home and SB date on all of them was 1st Dec ?
Took them back this afternoon asked for the manager "he's busy". DH got a grudging apology and replacements. Was I wrong to think a voucher or something would have been nicem

Blossoming Mon 06-Dec-21 16:47:47

I’m sure a voucher would have been nice, but I wouldn’t have expected one as well as an apology and exchange. I always check the dates on things before I put them in the trolley. If any were out of date I’d tell a member of staff.

BlueBelle Mon 06-Dec-21 16:53:25

I wouldn’t expect more than an exchange

AmberSpyglass Mon 06-Dec-21 16:53:58

Why on Earth would you expect a voucher?

Calistemon Mon 06-Dec-21 16:55:08

Tesco would give a refund and replace them as well.

That would seem to be fair, as you've had to go to the trouble of returning them.

AGAA4 Mon 06-Dec-21 17:02:53

I had to contact M & S this morning as a birthday cake I sent was 4 days late arriving.
They gave me my money back and the delivery charge. That's all I wanted. Don't expect freebies.

ninathenana Mon 06-Dec-21 17:04:41

That's what I was thinking Calistimon I've had that from Tesco in the past.
I check before putting things in the trolley but DH was on his own.
ASG for the inconvenience.
Am I right in thinking they could be reported ?

kircubbin2000 Mon 06-Dec-21 17:08:16

A packet of fresh cheese from M and S ballooned till nearly bursting so I threw it on the grass as I didnt want to go back to the shops. A seagull nearly choked himself eating the whole thing in one piece.

MerylStreep Mon 06-Dec-21 17:10:47

In these situations you get a far better response if you contact customer services by email with a photo of your receipt.

Elizabeth27 Mon 06-Dec-21 17:16:20

Maybe your husband should check the dates before he buys.

Calistemon Mon 06-Dec-21 17:16:59

I check before putting things in the trolley but DH was on his own.
I've had that problem too!
Then DH asks what I'm staring at (the best before dates, dear).

Nansnet Tue 07-Dec-21 03:56:18

I recently did an order with M&S. Two items were missing, the packet of one item was split open, but the contents were OK, and a large tin of chocolate biscuits was damaged (the contents were fine). I emailed customer services and said it wasn't what I expected from M&S, and wanted to let them know about the issues. I only assumed they'd refund the missing items. However, I had a very nice apology, a full refund, not only for the missing items, but also for the item with split bag, and also for the lovely tin of biscuits. In addition, they gave me £5.00 off my next order. That's what I call customer service. Well done M&S!

Spice101 Tue 07-Dec-21 03:59:48

Was it a use by date or a sell be date? I've had yoghurt that has well passed it's use by date that has been fine to eat.

I would not expect anymore than a replacement.

CanadianGran Tue 07-Dec-21 04:17:42

Our local grocery stores will replace, but not offer anything else by way of apology. I'm sure if you phoned the manager or emailed customer service they may offer you something for the inconvenience.

Kircubbin - why did you toss a package of cheese on the grass? Packaging and all? The birds will end up ill.

BlueBelle Tue 07-Dec-21 05:48:12

Kircubbin what a strange post ….is that supposed to be funny?

Ashcombe Tue 07-Dec-21 06:43:24

I once found a small piece of plastic in a black cherry yoghurt from Lidl. With some difficulty, I found an email address on their website for the Head Office so I wrote to complain. They requested that I send them the offending item, my receipt and the batch number of the yoghurt, all of which I did.

After some weeks, I received a reply claiming it was a piece of cherry stone (yeah, right!!) but they enclosed a £10 voucher which I happily accepted!

MayBeMaw Tue 07-Dec-21 06:54:52

Of course YABU!
The yogurts should not have been on the shelves past their sell-by date but it is up to the customer to check where this information is visible.
Caveat emptor

Marmight Tue 07-Dec-21 07:20:55

I don’t think I would expect a voucher when returning 4 out of date yogs. An exchange plus an apology would suffice. In fact I probably wouldn’t have trailed back to Aldi just for 4 pots of yoghurt. 5 days in the life of a yoghurt isn’t much so I’d probably have eaten them ?

A couple of years ago while eating a M&S biscuit I crunched on something hard.
& spat out a 4cm piece of metal suspiciously like a bit of watch strap, along with a large piece of tooth. I sent the offending piece (suitably cleansed) plus packaging to M&S with a covering letter, resulting eventually in them not accepting liability as ‘after investigation, the machinery where the biscuit was made was not at fault at that time& had recently been serviced’. The correspondence batted back and forth for a couple of months during which time I paid a not insubstantial dentist’s bill to have the tooth capped and ended up with a paltry £5 M&S voucher which I returned as I felt it was a total insult.
I no longer knowingly consume their biscuits!

MayBeMaw Tue 07-Dec-21 07:40:04

TBH I regularly eat things out of my fridge which are past their “sell by “date. If it looks or smells off I bin it, but yogurt would be perfectly edible!
I hope you didn’t have too long a drive to exchange the yogurts!

lemsip Tue 07-Dec-21 08:20:06

you get a voucher only if you contact customer services by phone or email....in store can only give you the money back or replace.

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Dec-21 08:32:38

I think a refund’s perfectly fine for a pack of yoghurts. Mistakes happen.

I did have a Margot Leadbetter style exchange with Ocado though on Christmas Eve 2019, when the bashed lid on a jar of cornichons led to vinegar dripping all along my hall and kitchen floor and leaking into the flour, sugar cubes and cocktail blinis. Christmas wasn’t cancelled grin, but they did very generously refund the cost of the four items and add on a £15 voucher.

lemsip Tue 07-Dec-21 08:33:17

when I shop in M&S foodhall they now ask if you want a receipt, I always say yes please. Why wouldn't you.? I had to return a prawn salad recently and without the receipt would not have got far. .......The prawn salad only had a few prawns in sauce hiding loads of pasts which i don't like! Should have been labelled Pasta salad with prawns then I wouldn't have bought it.

Georgesgran Tue 07-Dec-21 08:47:06

I think (legally?) that you should only expect to be ‘made whole’ by any incident and not ‘profit’ from it, which is what happened in OPs case. The item wasn’t actually faulty as such. Any other compensation would be at the sellers’ discretion.

CafeAuLait Tue 07-Dec-21 08:55:05

I think an exchange was appropriate. I always check the dates on these kinds of products as sometimes expired ones aren't noticed and swapped by staff. Most of the time it's fine, but I check just in case. I think an exchange and starting to check expiry dates is appropriate.

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 07-Dec-21 09:03:56

No....they did the right thing, albeit begrudgingly. I usually check dates...not because they might be well over, as in your case...but because I only shop once a week, and things need to be within that week as far as possible.