Gransnet forums

AIBU

House buyers family and friends

(28 Posts)
Vintagejazz Fri 07-Oct-22 12:36:04

We have gone sale agreed on our house. The estate agent asked if the buyers could have access for an hour this morning to measure up. We had things on but agreed they could get the key from the estate agent and let themselves in for an hour from 10 o clock.

We returned at 11.45. They were still there with about six family members, one of whom was upstairs using the loo and another was sitting in the garden smoking.
It is still our home and we only agreed that the couple could have access. I feel really annoyed that they have obviously been showing family members around our house, going in and out of the bedrooms etc with us not there.

My sister said we should have insisted someone from the estate agent accompany them.

AIBU to do this next time?

Namsnanny Fri 07-Oct-22 12:40:31

No of course not.
We havent moved house in over 20years now. But we had a similar experience back then.
Lesson learned.
Good luck with the move

Joseanne Fri 07-Oct-22 12:45:07

I think you should complain, loudly, to the Estate Agent who should have accompanied the buyers anyway if you were out. At least it won't happen again, but not nice.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 07-Oct-22 12:57:20

No you are not being unreasonable, what a cheek!

Grandmabatty Fri 07-Oct-22 13:01:13

I would not let them in again. And I would be letting the estate agent know.

Oldwoman70 Fri 07-Oct-22 13:01:29

When I sold the agent accompanied the buyers when they came to measure up even though I was at home (I stayed out of the way in the conservatory!) This was a failure by the agent.

Vintagejazz Fri 07-Oct-22 13:02:26

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I was overreacting. Hopefully they've done their measuring now and won't ask for access again. But I'm going to complain to the estate agent.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 07-Oct-22 13:08:20

They really shouldn’t have been allowed in to measure up until you had exchanged. I also wouldn’t let them back in.

biglouis Fri 07-Oct-22 13:11:57

I would have said something directly to them! House purchasers can be an arraogant bunch.

Many years ago when I was renting and the landlord decided to sell I was foolish enough to allow prospective purchasers to view the house in the last few weeks. I wont go into detail but one man was rude and disrespectful and I ended up ordering them out of the house. I heard the estate agent apologise to THEM rather than to me.

Next day I rang and complained and said I wanted a 30% rent reduction to allow any more viewings. The agent refused so there were no more viewings. I had already got another property to move into so did not need a reference. There were no smart phones back then but whenever I saw their number on the phone I didnt answer.

TerriT Fri 07-Oct-22 14:14:43

No you are definitely not unreasonable. I am shocked the agent wasn’t with them and am pretty sure that’s against their code. Ridiculous though it sounds these people could have moved in as you invited them in and refused to go! That is why they should not have been in your home without you or the agent present. Go back to the manager of that agent and complain loudly.

Vintagejazz Fri 07-Oct-22 14:52:33

I have called the agent to complain. She sounded shocked and said the wife had asked if her mother could come to help measure up. She had okayed that but didn't agree to anyone else coming along.
I said I'd rather they didn't come again until the sale has gone through and she has agreed.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-Oct-22 15:18:10

Blimey, what a cheek.

The Estate Agent should definitely have accompanied your prospective buyers.

TerriT Fri 07-Oct-22 15:44:33

The agent should not have given your key out. Unbelievable. I used to run an estate agency and cannot believe the casual attitude this agent has to their clients property. I advise an e mail to head office telling them what has taken place. All very well for this office person to say sorry thought only mum was going along, obviously doesn’t understand the law. She needs to have it explained that they could have taken over your house and refused to leave. For any doubters I suggest you look it up.

pascal30 Fri 07-Oct-22 15:50:05

TerriT

The agent should not have given your key out. Unbelievable. I used to run an estate agency and cannot believe the casual attitude this agent has to their clients property. I advise an e mail to head office telling them what has taken place. All very well for this office person to say sorry thought only mum was going along, obviously doesn’t understand the law. She needs to have it explained that they could have taken over your house and refused to leave. For any doubters I suggest you look it up.

those were my thoughts exactly... quite a risk

sodapop Fri 07-Oct-22 16:14:57

Absolute cheek and what a risk as others have said. The agent needs to know this was not acceptable although on rereading your post it looks like you agreed it.
Another lesson learned and hopefully noted by others.

Sparklefizz Fri 07-Oct-22 16:32:13

This is totally unacceptable that anyone at all was given your key and allowed to let themselves into your house unaccompanied, whether that's buyer or family/friends.

They could have got your key copied or stolen your property.

Daisymae Fri 07-Oct-22 16:38:33

I can't believe that they had access to your property unaccompanied. Suppose something went missing? The agents are laying themselves wide open. I would never have agreed, but as others have said lessons learnt.

Callistemon21 Fri 07-Oct-22 17:02:41

AIBU to do this next time?

No you are not being at all unreasonable.
They are really pushing the boundaries.

If they ask again, insist that only the buyers are allowed access accompanied by the Estate Agent and don't allow them in until after contracts have been exchanged. If at all.

All your possessions are still in the house, it is still your home until completion when their money is in your account.

Callistemon21 Fri 07-Oct-22 17:03:54

The woman who bought our last house wanted the key before completion. Her solicitor was very pushy.
We refused.

Mapleleaf Fri 07-Oct-22 17:11:04

I don’t think I would be happy with strangers wandering around my home unaccompanied by the estate agent. It’s still your home, they could have been up to all sorts. I hope everything is still there…

Vintagejazz Fri 07-Oct-22 20:40:31

Yes everything's still here. Talk about give an inch....
Anyhow they will not be crossing the door again until the sale is final.

Sara1954 Fri 07-Oct-22 20:49:59

Oh that is most definitely out of order, I would be making a hell of a fuss about it.

How in anyones world can that in any way be acceptable?

JenniferEccles Fri 07-Oct-22 22:44:58

Has your house been taken off the market following the offer from this cheeky couple?
I’m afraid, for me, warning bells would be ringing after their recent behaviour.
If they had the cheek to bring their extended family to poke around your home unaccompanied, then what other dodgy tricks could they pull in the months ahead before completion?
Unfortunately experience over the years has taught us how unreliable buyers can be.

Vintagejazz Sat 08-Oct-22 07:27:51

Yes it's off the market. We're just hoping the sale will go through smoothly.

Franbern Sun 09-Oct-22 10:32:42

Do hope your sale goes through without problems. Surely, measuring up really only takes place right towards end of selling process, when idea of moving date is in sight.

Bad practice by EA. When I moved to this flat three years back, I asked to have a quick visit to measure up three weeks prior to what actually became the moving date. I also needed to be able to make a 'map' for my daughter who was going to be the person who got the keys and let in the removal firm whilst I was still driving down here.

The flat was virtually empty, just last few bits of furniture as the previous owners had died, yet the EA came and sat in the flat whilst daughter and myself did all that measuring/mapping, etc. as I expected.

Recently, as Secretary to the Management Company, I let someone doing a quote for carpet cleaning into an empty flat soon going on the market. (The current probate owner live a long way away). Would not have dreamt of just giving this company the key - I opened up, sat in there whilst they measured, etc. and locked up when they left.