Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dress code for restaurant staff

(125 Posts)
Judy54 Mon 13-Mar-23 13:24:38

I went to a pub/restaurant for a meal recently. It's not the sort of place that you would just go for a drink, the emphasis is on the food. It is beautifully decorated and very comfortable. I was somewhat surprised that both of the staff who served us were wearing ripped jeans. They were not teenagers but thirty somethings. Maybe it is an age thing but I feel if I have made the effort to dress smartly then surely the staff should to. Don't restaurants have a dress code for staff anymore. AIBU.

Riverwalk Mon 13-Mar-23 13:32:32

Ripped jeans are a fashion staple so I don't have a problem with staff in a gastro pub wearing them.

Katie59 Mon 13-Mar-23 13:32:54

Many do, it’s your choice, if you dont like staff in”mufti” eat elsewhere. Often it’s the boss that is not in uniform.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-Mar-23 13:39:17

I haven’t got a problem with ripped jeans I have a pair.

NotSpaghetti Mon 13-Mar-23 13:43:01

If it was a gastro-pub rather than a restaurant I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't actually dress up myself to eat in a pub. I would look smarter for "fancy" meal with silver-service (or contemporary equivalent!).

Chestnut Mon 13-Mar-23 13:54:06

Eating out is no longer something special, so no-one bothers to dress up unless at a proper restaurant with white tablecloths, as NotSpaghetti says. You would not see staff in ripped jeans at a place like that. The dress code these days is mostly pretty casual so I guess you'll have to go to a posh restaurant if you want to dress up and be served by smart looking staff. Times have changed and we have to go with the flow.

Riverwalk Mon 13-Mar-23 13:56:10

Many big old boozers have been taken over by restaurateurs - so gastro pubs are a hybrid of high restaurant prices for food and drink, but they still have to maintain a pub vibe, to attract casual drinkers.

Theexwife Mon 13-Mar-23 14:12:54

I agree with what others have said. Dressing up to eat out is not really a thing now. If you wanted waiting staff to wear a smart uniform it would have to be in a top-end restaurant.

Thankfully people are not judged on what they wear anymore.

Lollin Mon 13-Mar-23 14:19:39

I have seen a few people wearing ripped jeans this winter where I feel they must been wearing out or ripped accidentally so they have ripped them some more because they really left you wondering how cold the wearer must be. Seam to seam and big gaping rips. Back to restaurant dress code, the thing I dislike most is when I’ve been in a nice restaurant and noticed the black & white clothing, and sometimes shoes, chosen for staff to wear look mucky and most likely not the result of spills from that day. However I noticed it in banks back in the day too when it looked like white shirts had been washed with colours.

twinnytwin Mon 13-Mar-23 14:19:59

I love getting a little dressed up whenever I go out - to the pub or a restaurant, on holiday etc. We went for a chinese buffet on Saturday lunchtime and I still made an effort - for myself, no-one else. It was very casual. I'm not bothered how others dress - I dress to please myself.

micmc47 Mon 13-Mar-23 14:22:53

If both of the staff who served you were wearing ripped jeans, perhaps it's a type of uniform dress. Ripped jeans do seem to be in fashion, at least with the young. Personally, I don't really care what staff wear, provided both they and the clothes are clean. I do however feel that some uniformity of dress does allow customers to identify staff, should they wish to communicate with them.

timetogo2016 Mon 13-Mar-23 14:37:43

I wouldn`t be over impressed myself,but,if the food was worth the money i would turn a blind eye.

Fleurpepper Mon 13-Mar-23 15:37:46

A uniform of sorts to attract a certain type of customer and perhaps 'discourage' others.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 13-Mar-23 15:43:15

I don’t dress up to go for a pub meal. I have no problem with the staff wearing ordinary clothes so long as they are clean. A proper restaurant is a different matter.

dragonfly46 Mon 13-Mar-23 15:47:31

A long as their clothes are clean I don’t mind what they wear.

Katie59 Mon 13-Mar-23 15:48:42

If anything many “dress down” to go out, I do expect staff to have a pride in their appearance and ripped jeans is not that. Of course if it was the local greasy spoon then it would be acceptable but if I’m paying £20 for a maincourse and £30 for a bottle of wine I do expect reasonable standards.

Franbern Mon 13-Mar-23 15:50:26

ripped jeans ARE dressing up. Have you seen the price of some of them,?

Norah Mon 13-Mar-23 15:52:24

In a pub clean clothing seems sufficient.

Dickens Mon 13-Mar-23 15:55:43

It is the very fact of the jeans being ripped that they are worn - they are a fashion item. Similar to what faded denims were in my youth. Now they're ripped and faded.

They possibly get washed more than a 'normal' pair of trousers ever do - to keep up the fading.

M0nica Mon 13-Mar-23 16:09:53

I just go out dressed as I am, whatever 'dressed as I am' means in context. We nipped out last Friday for lunch at a local small gastropub. I think I was wearing a brown tweed skirt handknitted sweater and knee boots. Whatever it was, apart from the boots, I wore the same clothes all day.

As for ripped jeans. It now seems to be standard waiting staff uniform.

Hithere Mon 13-Mar-23 16:55:51

Looks like the management of the establishment approved of it

Hygiene, cleanliness and food quality are more important factors in my book

Norah Mon 13-Mar-23 17:00:01

I wear jeans/ trousers apart from Sunday, is clean not enough for others?

NotAGran55 Mon 13-Mar-23 17:02:21

As long as the food is good, the staff and the place look clean then I’m not bothered what anyone wears.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 13-Mar-23 17:04:50

As long as the waiting staff are clean and polite that’s fine.

Sago Mon 13-Mar-23 17:10:09

Call me old fashioned but I think it’s unprofessional.