Gransnet forums

AIBU

Food bank rollercoaster. Huge empathy to Fury!! Is it just me?

(166 Posts)
WhyWhyWhyohWhy Sun 04-Jun-23 18:54:54

I volunteer at a local food bank, there are several in my area. My role is to input into the computer the details of those who contact us so that they receive food from us which is usually delivered directly to their door with the exception of those who live closest to the distribution centre. People can self refer so no hoops to jump through and most of our users are also using the other food banks and charities where we live. I am a small cog in a big wheel, and just follow the rules of what I am asked to do, others make those rules.
We as a family are not well off but have the ability to manage our small income to make ends meet, if we can’t afford it we don’t have it, it’s that simple. I probably would qualify for help if I had our income and outgoings looked at but we prefer to stand on our own two feet. I was brought up not to waste resources and have tried to educate our children in the same way. I do know how lucky I am to be able to manage to get by. And here it comes…. The more I learn about the people who access our service the more flaming annoyed I get, there are genuine people who literally do not have enough coming in and to me this is who we should be prioritising and I get so annoyed that they are falling through the cracks and left behind. What I find more irksome is that week on week while the poorest fall further behind I receive what amounts to shopping/wish lists. Apart from those who have special dietary requirements such as Celiac disease and the like I am apt to think that folk should be grateful for any support that we can provide bearing in mind that we rely on donations from the public to redistribute, but honestly I do wonder if this monster that has been created actually helps the majority of our users to learn essential life lessons like budgeting at all? Some of the requests are to me outrageous so for example instead of asking for deodorant they ask for expensive brands like Dove this or that fragrance, last week someone requested freshly ground coffee which was a further step up from the usual requests for Nescafé, or Douwe Egberts, then there’s the mums who request really expensive formula and nappies to feed children they cannot afford whilst becoming pregnant with more children they cannot afford. Then there are those who obtain food so that they can buy illegal drugs with their money.
The icing on the cake this weekend has been from someone who has up until recently been given a store voucher one day and food the next day. The £25 weekly vouchers have stopped and the single person user isn’t happy because they usually buy fresh fish, meat and other ingredients with it and has now taken to contacting the local Conservative MP to complain. The irony of that isn’t wasted on me.
As a family of 4 who can rarely afford to buy fresh fish and meat ourselves but tries to be altruistic I’m getting a bit peeved at the rights over responsibility attitude of some people and I am beginning feel as though I don’t want to give or help, especially when the recipients are posting on social media their takeaways and grand days out.
I know I sound like a hard hearted bitch when in reality I know that you have to walk a day in someone’s shoes to know how it is for them but some peoples idea of being in desperate need completely contradict my knowledge of it. AIBU?

Ilovecheese Sun 04-Jun-23 19:06:38

Perhaps this is not the right position for you.

boheminan Sun 04-Jun-23 19:06:45

If you're a hard hearted bitch, then I'll join you on the bench over this. Of course there's a lot of people out there who are in genuine need of the donated food but unfortunately my experience in this area has been scarred by the few that I know of who sell it on at 'bargain' prices to mates.

Sorry, it's put me off donating, especially as like you, WWWOW, I have a minimum amount of money myself to survive on.

Coronation Sun 04-Jun-23 19:08:56

I always thought you had to be referred to a food bank so I'm surprised it is self referral. The potential for abuse is high. Has anybody else noticed it ? Perhaps the policy will change soon.

A lady in a food centre, users are referred said some drug users will sell the goods. I'm not sure that can be stopped though

Sago Sun 04-Jun-23 19:18:29

I have said this before and will repeat.
If the donation I make means 1 child will go to bed with a full tummy then I will continue even though the feckless are benefiting.

Theexwife Sun 04-Jun-23 19:37:09

Every service will have a few that abuse the system but the majority do not. Maybe this is not the job for you anymore.

VioletSky Sun 04-Jun-23 19:37:37

I'm not sure this is the right job for you either unless you can take a big step back and without judgement

BlueBelle Sun 04-Jun-23 19:49:53

I totally understand where you are coming from whywhy I love my work in the charity shop but what really gets my goat are the dealers that come in (and yes we recognise them immediately) and buy up things that are meant for people who can’t afford expensive toys for their kids (they are after bric a brac too but we are fairly astute and not much gets by us on that score ) but the toys are for mums who can’t afford expensive birthday presents or for the little ones coming in with their pocket money, not to go on a stall and line someone else’s pocket
The thieves aren’t on my favourite list either and yes we do get them too

AGAA4 Sun 04-Jun-23 19:51:34

I would be as annoyed as you are if I thought that the poorest people were losing out to those with a sense of entitlement. Perhaps it's time for referral only.

Mollygo Sun 04-Jun-23 19:58:50

Better letting off steam on here about what you see happening and continuing to do a good job where you are.
There will always be those who work the system but a bit like Sago said, if one child benefits who would otherwise suffer, it’s worth doing.

Calipso Sun 04-Jun-23 20:05:27

Forgive me if I'm being dim here BlueBelle but are charity shops only for those who have limited means? I've always understood their purpose as being a vehicle to generate profit for their ascribed charity. How does it make sense for them to only sell to the poor? I'm a careful shopper and buy very few new clothes, in fact I buy very few clothes at all, preferring to buy good quality clothes secondhand. Are you saying that I'm taking advantage of things that should only be for a particular section of the general public? I've never seen that stated as a rule in the many charity shops I visit.

Blondiescot Sun 04-Jun-23 20:09:14

Sago

I have said this before and will repeat.
If the donation I make means 1 child will go to bed with a full tummy then I will continue even though the feckless are benefiting.

I'm totally with you on this one.

Primrose53 Sun 04-Jun-23 20:19:24

I’ve said pretty much the same on here in the past. I take Tins and packets to our SA food bank and young Mums come out with carrier bags full of donated food and then go in the village shop for fags and cans of Red Bull! I also see them in the nail bar and that’s nearly £40 a throw!

Some people have their hand out all the time and it’s a very poor example to be setting to your kids. I firmly believe that the more some people are given, the more they expect. Like free school meals which is fine but then they want free meals for kids during holidays!!

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 04-Jun-23 20:50:17

Off to volunteer at foodbank tomorrow: I'm with Blondiescot , Sago and Mollygo.

Deedaa Sun 04-Jun-23 21:11:16

It's an attitude that has been around for years. Forty years ago my father in law was trying to give his prescription pain relief cream to my mother for her arthritis. "Go on take it! I get it for nothing from the doctor" Useless trying to make him see that handing out his meds was costing the NHS money, and the "What if we all did that?" argument cut no ice at all. All he saw was something he could get for nothing.

Dickens Sun 04-Jun-23 21:13:57

As others have said - there will always be those that abuse a system that offers them something for which they don't have to pay.

A few politicians do the same with their expenses - they are all of a type.

The answer of course is to tweak or tighten up the system that allows it to happen.

The worst aspect of this - apart from the fact that it happens - is that those in need are being tarnished by the actions of those who I assume are the minority.

I'd not like to see the cynicism that applies to politicians who fiddle their expenses - "they're all the same, these politicians" - levelled at those claimants who quite literally do not have enough money coming in to cover the very basics of living.

maddyone Sun 04-Jun-23 21:16:30

I always thought people had to be referred to food banks by a doctor or priest or some other reputable person, and I was reassured on Gransnet that this was the case. I did wonder how food banks had grown so exponentially since their inception, but the lack of referral would explain that. I have always refused to give to food banks. I prefer to give to reputable charities and that is what we do. I absolutely refuse to fund the life styles of drug addicts and thieves. My son ran the London Marathon for the London Parks and we supported him by donating. He’s running again next year and his charity will be Children’s Cancer and we will be donating again.

Doodledog Sun 04-Jun-23 21:17:22

Calipso

Forgive me if I'm being dim here BlueBelle but are charity shops only for those who have limited means? I've always understood their purpose as being a vehicle to generate profit for their ascribed charity. How does it make sense for them to only sell to the poor? I'm a careful shopper and buy very few new clothes, in fact I buy very few clothes at all, preferring to buy good quality clothes secondhand. Are you saying that I'm taking advantage of things that should only be for a particular section of the general public? I've never seen that stated as a rule in the many charity shops I visit.

Agreed. Not only that, but making them into places that only 'the poor' are supposed to use will give them a stigma that will put off a lot of people. I am not poor, but am happy to give to and buy from charity shops as a way of reusing items rather tan buying new every time.

rafichagran Sun 04-Jun-23 21:18:11

In the job I done before retiring I saw the abuse that went on at food banks. Its disgusting but there are always people that will abuse things like this. I would rather give as well, rather than see a child go hungry.
I don't see why posters say the volunteer job that OP does at the food bank is not for her/him you can be disgusted at the behavior of the minority and do a good job for the majority. I do judge people who misuse food banks, they are just greedy.
Carry on doing a good job OP

fancythat Sun 04-Jun-23 21:18:31

I knew the types of things you were going to say after I read the words "People can self refer".

Primrose53 Sun 04-Jun-23 21:19:55

Lest I also sound like an old meanie we have an elderly man in the village over for a meal every couple of weeks, I used to take plated up meals to another man with mental health problems whose family dumped him here and cleared off again.

I also take food to the local foodbank and pop in and have a chat with some old dears. I will help anybody who is really in need because that’s how I was brought up ….. when my Mum died so many people contacted me to say she had made them meals, scones, visited them in hospital, knitted socks, made baby clothes and other good deeds. However, my kindness extends only to those who genuinely need it.

fancythat Sun 04-Jun-23 21:24:48

Yes. There are more than enough people to help who are genuine.

BlueBelle Sun 04-Jun-23 21:27:27

No of course they are not ONLY for people on limited means but if you are selling (certainly in the kids section) to people who can’t afford the high prices of toys that’s who I like to sell to We keep out prices low to help families and no of course I m not saying anyone like yourself and myself shouldn’t be using it I m just saying it’s not for dealers to then go on and sell at a high price
Perhaps I didn’t express myself well I didn’t in any way say or mean that charity shops are for ‘the poor’ that’s not what was meant at all but truly some toys are out of the price range of many especially with more than one child in the family

Patsy70 Sun 04-Jun-23 21:49:27

No, you are not hard hearted, Whywhywhyohwhy. We like to help those who help themselves. Unfortunately, there are always dealers etc. who abuse the system. However, I will continue to donate to food banks and charity shops, as I am sure some people in need will benefit.

Oreo Sun 04-Jun-23 22:02:18

Food banks will continue to expand as more people realise they can self refer easily.It doesn’t mean that more people actually need it. Human nature means some will take advantage wherever they can.Asking for filter coffee and other requests shows this, they treat do-gooders as mugs.