Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

WATERCOLOUR PAINTING

(34 Posts)
lucyjordan Tue 10-May-11 10:21:41

Does anybody else do this?

All my adult life i used to wish i could paint, and then when i was 53 i went along to my local community centre where classes were held I was amazed at what i produced, and so were the rest of my family and friends.

My teacher was wonderful, and it was down to him really and his methods of teaching and painting, i am going to download some pictures of my painting on to my profile, and wondered if any body else was interested in starting a gallery of their own

ScarlettandChasesgrandma Sun 17-Nov-13 10:42:08

Lucy, your paintings are amazing!!

Mishap Sun 16-Dec-12 18:29:51

Lucy - love your paintings - I wish I had your talent!

nanos8 Sun 16-Dec-12 17:59:01

lucyjordan you have some beautiful work. I've dabbled in the past and have so much kit but never seem to make the time to finish or begin anew.
I don't know about you Grandmacool but I'm going to make time and have another go now. smile

annodomini Sun 16-Dec-12 15:07:59

Spindrift (what a lovely name) have you looked for a U3A branch locally? Most of their activities take place by day.

Maniac Sun 16-Dec-12 14:39:04

Since moving here 5 yrs ago I go to a weekly morning art/craft gp in local methodist church hall .Not a class -just a sharing of knowledge and techniques. and chat!.From being a beginner I've improved my skills-mainly drawing and water colors.I'll put some on my profile
Am now running out of wallspace!!

Spindrift Sun 16-Dec-12 12:35:25

I wish there was a community centre near me, there is absolutely nothing in this village, I have enquired about classes for pottery etc in the town, but everything is evening, I don't go out alone after dark, you wouldn't want to go into town here after dark anyway smile, I don't like coming back to an empty house after dark either, I am quite a distance from the road so would be worried about being outside when it is pitch black.

tarotfool Wed 03-Aug-11 18:03:50

Thank you for that web address, Nono, what a good way to get started!

yogagran Sun 31-Jul-11 21:49:43

I'd love to be able to paint, it's a wonderful gift to have. But I tried a day course in watercolour painting and decided that I had absolutely no talent at all. What I came home with was a painting that a primary school child would hang on the fridge door!
I'd love to be able to sing as well - but again, no talent! There must be something that I'm good at but I'm still waiting to find out

Grandmacool Sun 31-Jul-11 12:24:19

I started painting with oils not long after my 50th Birthday. My hubby and I went to Hawaii and I was inspired by a class of painters there painting the landscape, some where brilliant and some not so good but they were all have a great time and really enjoying it.
We then went to San Francisco to a dear friend of mine who also started painting a number of years ago. She encouraged me to start by giving me a book on how to learn to paint. As soon as I got back home to Germany, I went out and spent a fortune on an easle, oil paints and expensive brushes etc. I really enjoy it, but haven`t had the time to start again, one painting is in my gallery since last year and is not finished yet.

elizabethjoan Sat 30-Jul-11 23:19:44

I need a little help.
Tried watercolours and had a great time. Went to classes run by an excellent tutor where I found out all the stuff I hadn't known, and now the joy has gone a bit, as anything I do I am never satisfied with.
How can I re-start without being so self-critical?

Squaredancer Fri 24-Jun-11 00:03:57

Hi lucyjordan
Have just had a look at your paintings, they are lovely. I did an art course about 10yrs ago with an over 50's group and suprised myself by gaining a certificate at the end of 3yrs, apparently O level standard!! Sadly since then due to family commitments I haven't touched a paint brush since, except the domestic kind. However having grandchildren I took up photography, joined a club and thoroughly enjoy it. My youngest Gchild starts nursery soon and I thought maybe I could dig out my brushes but I am now to have another Gchild in October so will have to wait approx another 3 years! The old oil pastels came out recently for the 3yr old to paint with, so I guess they are not wasted. Keep up your hobby and enjoy. smile

supernana Fri 10-Jun-11 14:01:34

lucyjordan and all arty Gransnetters, well done smile Since I was a little girl I've wanted to paint. My father objected to me going to art school and it wasn't until I picked up my husband's paint box 20 years ago [am approaching my 70th] did I rekindle the love of creativity. I have not been tutored but, thanks to my husband's encouragement, from that moment, I've produced art from my mind's eye...then I painted flowers, buildings and latterly, pet portraits. I've sold many paintings and have also produced and sold my own range of greetings cards depicting my artwork. I've posted a few examples of my work in my gallery. Haven't been able to continue though - the computer seems to be in a very funny mood!

Granieee Sat 04-Jun-11 18:44:49

Wow lucyjordan!!
I've just taken a peek at your watercolours, they are lovely. You really have a talent for painting. I've dabbled a little, but nothing to compare with your work. You have inspired me to try again.
Well done
Love and hugs

Valkyrie Fri 03-Jun-11 15:33:52

In my experience, art courses are quite expensive. I would advise anyone considering joining one to research the tutor. Just put the name into your search engine (e.g. Google) and see what comes up.
Personnally, I like to obtain a video to assess whether or not I like the tutor's style. Failing that, try to find an online gallery of the tutor's work and see if you think their style compliments yours.

oldblue Mon 23-May-11 23:00:24

The workshop I currently attend started as a small group of likeminded beginners who got together in one another's homes. Once a month, friends who taught art would give workshops, for a small fee. As we gained confidence, and numbers, we expanded to the villge hall for all day open workshops, (lunch in the pub) . This makes the workshops relatively cheap, and you can select different tutors, according to your collective wishes. good luck!

artygran Mon 23-May-11 13:12:05

Like Sixtiesgirl, I find that some tutors like to imprint their style on you. I had the opposite experience to you; a female tutor who only seemed to be interested in painting flowers, still life, etc. Frankly, landscapes were not her forte. I love painting boats and the sea! Perhaps we should have swapped! It is difficult to find the right teacher - there are many professional and semi-professional teachers where I live teaching just about every style imaginable; the biggest hurdle, now that I'm retired, is the price some of them charge for lessons.

oldblue Tue 17-May-11 12:45:19

I agree, it can be difficult to find a suitable tutor, some just want their egos boosted by showing off their prowess, others insist that you copy every brush stroke they have made. Fortunately I have found some classes run by a local resident, the tutor is a successful artist (his canvasses sell for £1000+ )who likes to teach, and is an inspiration.to all of us (average age 60+).
He teaches each of us at our own level, subjects may be his idea or ours, we have had recent topics such as "At the threshold" ,"Favourite holiday image", "Abstract that represents emotion", as well as basic subjects as transparecy, perspective, etc. It has taken me many years to find a really good tutor, don't give up, you will strike lucky one day!

sixtiesgirl Tue 17-May-11 00:03:00

I have produced some paintings since retiring as it was my first love as a schoolgirl. However, have given up on art classes as teachers were always men who wanted us to paint what I call 'mens' subjects i.e. boats, seascapes, landscapes etc. I like to paint animals, plants, portraits - anything but boats and sea.

deeps Mon 16-May-11 08:48:27

quite right, oldblue. I use them all the time and can't imagine why I forgot to mention them.

oldblue Sun 15-May-11 13:07:05

Hi, all try the Society for All Artists , www.saa.co.uk
and the painting and drawing channel on sky digital 195
great for beginners as well as the more experienced. Great discounts on materials, too.

grannyrosie Sat 14-May-11 13:57:17

Painting is so therapeutic. When I retired two years ago from working in the South I moved to Newcastle to live near my son and daughter-in-law - at their request!

I enrolled on a watercolour class and oil painting class at the local Adult Learning Centre in Gosforth. I had a marvellous teacher and learnt so much from him.

Last Summer I went on an outdoor waterclour class and each week we went to a different place, parks, seaside, etc. However bad you think you are - try it - you may be surprised at what you can achieve! I met some really nice people on the courses, too.

Kiwigran Fri 13-May-11 19:25:46

Thanks for that Mrs JamJam. I live in a village in Oxfordshire so will try googling a one day course. I'm 61 Mrs JamJam, you've inspired me to try acrylics - thanks.

MrsJamJam Fri 13-May-11 18:30:38

Try a bit of 'googling' and you might find an artist nearby who does the occasional one-off day course. Where I live (Devon) there are quite a few of these and I went along in trepidation as a complete novice aged 60 - have never looked back.

Now branched out into acrylics and water-mixable oils, which I find much more forgiving than watercolour. I can paint over my mistakes until I get it the way I want it!

Kiwigran Fri 13-May-11 18:22:48

Thanks for that encouragement Sloeginnie....you made my day. I've ALWAYS wanted to paint (watercolour), never thought I was much good at it - but hey, who cares, I just love putting paint on paper. It's fun for me. I haven't had the nerve to show anyone. Must admit I would love to go to a class, but there's non near me. It's just such a relaxing thing to do.

deeps Thu 12-May-11 11:47:28

Well done sloeginnie. I always wished I could draw and paint and, then when I reached retirement age and only worked part time, I joined a painting group and have since exhibited at the North East Open Studios exhibition. The only trouble is that now that I'm fully retired I have so little time to pursue my hobbies.