Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Crafts for children

(15 Posts)
granmac Wed 25-May-11 12:17:16

I searched for craft items for my three year old grandson and found the littleletter company. They send out varied materials every week and are not expensive. We have been delighted with the craft projects we have received from them. (I have no connection with the company but I think grans might like to know about such good projects for their grandchilden.)

HildaW Wed 25-May-11 15:33:16

I taught pre-schools....and many of the crafts we did had to be cheap and cheerful....we became masters of re-cycling by doing 'Junk Modelling'...this involves collecting all those small boxes and carton, egg boxes, bits of wrapping paper, silver foil, loo rolls...etc etc and then building mad models with cheap pre-school glue. Children love it...and if you can do it on a big scale with large boxes in the garden its great fun. It always helps if an adult is on hand to solve any little problems...also to ask open questions like...'and hows that going to fit'...but never ask...'whats it supposed to be?'

HildaW Wed 25-May-11 15:38:21

Just remembered...those 'Australian Womans weekly' range of books did a couple of really nice children's craft books full of great ideas - many of which were quite inexpensive to do.

Tipuna Thu 18-Aug-11 11:40:06

Ladies I am at a loss! I live 100 miles away form my two grandchildren - girl aged 4 and boy aged 2 1/2 and v. reduced income means I cannot get to see them often.

Too things then
1. How can I engage them on arrival at their home as they seem reluctant to speak to me and

2. How do I persuade my son - their father - that a trip here to my cottage would be wonderful. In four years they have been here about twice.

There must be something I am doing wrong! I knit for them and find inexpensive books for presents etc. but I am suffering greatly as they see their other granny so often - she looks after them on one day each week. I welcome the realationship she has with my son - they get on very well. But I am feeling a bit left out all round to be honest.

Have had a long chat with daughter-in-law who is a sensible woman and have now suggested a trip to the local seaside to visit the refurbished Grand Pier.
That was Monday and I have not heard a word!

Help, please.
Tipuna

granmac Sat 31-Dec-11 14:26:03

My grandchildren live abroad so we have limited contact.
Have you thought about Skype? It's free and easy to install on your computer. You may need to buy a camera with a microphone - these are not expensive. It is lovely to have a face-to-face chat with the grandchildren and it keeps you in mind.

glammanana Sat 31-Dec-11 14:35:15

Tipuna I would go down the Skype route myself as granmac said easy and cheap to set up and you would be such a "cool nana" as my DGCs used to say when I used it when DH and I lived abroad,I still use it now to chat to DGS5 when he is having an off day and causing his mum a headache!!

pattie Fri 06-Jan-12 16:34:05

Can anyone recommend a good learners crochet book? I can make granny squares but find it very difficult to follow patterns to move on as we all have quilts that look very samey. I have tried 201 crochet motifs, blocks projects and ideas and it is much too hard.
thanks pattie

Annobel Fri 06-Jan-12 17:07:07

I have one called Crochet Unravelled which I think I got on Amazon. It has instructions for both left and right handers. My family got me Crochet for Dummies for Christmas and I also have a children's crochet kit (called Crochet Art) with yarn and hooks, also from Amazon. You can see how useless I am. I am not good at following diagrams - including Ikea flatpacks, but that's another subject. grin

Stansgran Fri 06-Jan-12 18:49:30

It's all very well having skype if the DD or DSIL can't be bothered to turn it on.
As for crochet try coats website-I've mentioned it somewhere else and made lots of things from it including ridiculous pixie boots in the sewing part.

grannymoo Thu 19-Jan-12 19:00:01

Hi
has anyone got any suggestions for crafts for children over 5. The Little Letter Company looks great but a little too young for my grand daughter who is 6 going on 36

Carol Thu 19-Jan-12 19:28:35

Plate painting, puppet-making, knitting, crochet, sewing with plastic needles, card-making, papier mache, decoupage, flower pressing, cake making, water colour painting, clay modelling.................

cheelu Wed 09-Jan-13 22:21:25

Thank you granmac for that info I have x

nanaej Wed 09-Jan-13 22:30:49

My DGD (7) likes felt sewing. She has made all sorts of bits and bobs..not sure what they all are but she enjoys making them!! She cuts out shapes and sews them together, sometimes stuffs them, adds felt decoration by gluing (glue dots) other shapes on!

wanting Fri 25-Jan-13 09:27:05

Yes, you are right, I have mad ea lots of shoes and clothes for my grand son even though he is just one year old.

BonicaCook Fri 19-Apr-13 09:24:26

Children are so clever. While my sister (8 years old) is learning how to make bracelet by herself according to the course on pandahall's learning center. I can't wait to see her masterpiece^^