Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Patchwork toddler blanket!

(14 Posts)
houseforsale Fri 27-May-11 16:02:38

I would like some help please . I want to make a patchwork blanket for my GD who is emigrating next year so I have the time. I want it to be a memory of us and not too difficult , so what would be the best way to go about it ? I'm open to ideas! Books, ect....

Granieee Fri 27-May-11 18:40:01

Hello houseforsale
I have friends who do patchwork, sorry I aspire to, but dont.
Try this http://www.thebramblepatch.co.uk/shop/index.asp
it could be a good place to start. Enjoy doing whatever you choose and
please let us know how who get on.
love and hugs.

riclorian Fri 27-May-11 19:23:27

Hello Houseforsale- You dont say the age of your GD , or the size of the finished patchwork .One idea is to make it up of squares each square depicting a certain phase or interest in her life- a pony if she rides ,a tennis racquet if she plays etc.. Another would be to ask all the family and friends to sign or leave a message in each square , which could then be embroidered .Hope this will be of some help ---- GOOD LUCK !
PS a simple way would be to quilt over the drawing /writing .

houseforsale Sat 28-May-11 13:35:29

Thankyou Graniee and riclorian for your advice . I will look into the web sites you gave and I like the idea of each family member and friends signing a square . She is 2 by the way.

HildaW Sat 28-May-11 18:17:12

I saw some very beautiful Victorian patchwork today made from tiny little bits of this and that and was reminded of why the very first patchwork quilts I made mean so much to me...I did not make them by buying lots of expensive 'fat quarters'. I used odds and ends of collected fabric and cut up old dresses, blouses etc. So now when I look at them I find myself remembering who wore what and when....its so emotional and also they have a lovely faded beauty that is very difficult to fake.

Grandmaval Thu 02-Jun-11 22:08:40

There are many sites out there on the internet which could help! Try putting 'Toddler's Patchwork Quilt' into Google and go from there. Or look at the Project Linus website for some ideas of simple to make quilts.
Nowadays with a computer it is possible to print photos on to fabric and then incorporate them into the finished work. Good luck!
grandmaval

Stansgran Mon 18-Jul-11 18:56:40

another idea-get all the family to draw round their hand choose a material cut out the hand shape and applique onto a plain background. or what about a house with all the members of the family looking through the windows-printed onmaterial via the computer through family photos-I've seen this done

maisie Thu 25-Aug-11 16:47:21

Can anyone recommend the Janmome 525s sewing machine? need to purchase a new one and am not sure which to buy

jackyann Thu 25-Aug-11 17:01:38

Toddler blanket:
I would use different textures in squares and would include one or two of lovely cuddly minky: http://minkyfabrics.co.uk

Maisie: I don't know that Janome machine. I have a very good Brother sewing machine; my overlocker & embroidery machine are both Janome. I am still getting used to the embroidery machine ( a special birthday gift!) but the overlocker is fantastic and I am so impressed with the quality!
I think the 525 is lightweight, and I would consider that carefully - it's an advantage or disadvantage depending on what you want.
I would, if convenient, go to the shows: you get a range of machines to try and often special offers: http://www.ichf.co.uk/events_calendar.php
If not, I would go to a good shop, they know the models that last well, and sometimes do a good deal on refurbs.

maisie Fri 26-Aug-11 15:52:15

Thank you I will certainly look further into the machines

Grumpyoldwoman Fri 26-Aug-11 17:56:56

I would definitely use some fabrics or subjects which would mean something to you all as a family. You could include photographs.

When our darling Grand-daughter Maggie was born asleep I made a small patchwork quilt backed with pale pink fleece and included patches of fabric from
her sister and brother's favourite dress/T shirt
Mummy's wedding dress and favourite fabrics
a special baby gro
and photo graphs of all the family including the dog and cat (which my youngest daugter printed onto fabric)
We wanted her to have something in her casket which meant something to all the family..I stitched in some ribbon from Mummy & Daddy's wedding, + a few meaningful tiny tokens. The funeral director said he had never seen anything like it in all the years he had been in the business.
A friend asked if I would like to offer this as a service to other parents ..but I thought it was too personal.
Did you see the film 'StepMom' ..the mother who was dying made gorgeous quilts of memories.
A special quilt will become an heirloom.
I have been making a hand stitched quilt for years ..you have reminded me to get on with it !!!!

Twobabes Sun 11-Sep-11 01:27:16

G-o-w, that is such a beautiful, personal thing to have done. I feel so sad for the loss of your little Maggie. You gave her something very, very special.

les346 Sun 29-Jan-12 16:11:25

How beautiful but so sad. So much love in a quilt.

Jacey Sun 29-Jan-12 20:32:44

Oh ...that was lovely Grumpyoldwoman

houseforsale there is likely to be quilting groups/shops in your immediate area who would give you support and guidance ...the ones in my area, I know would be supportive.

I would suggest you trial out lots of ideas first ...to see which techniques you wish to use ...all those samples could then be put into a quilt for you to keep as a memory of what you made for her.

Enjoy sunshine