Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Corking?

(12 Posts)
grannycool Mon 27-Jun-11 13:04:02

Recently in a supermarket in France I saw a small kit for corking.

I spent many happy hours as a child producing yards of corking to be made into place mats and all sorts of other things that I'm sure my Mother used only out of the kindness of her heart!

I didn't buy the kit, at only 4euros I should have, but thought I would get a kit easily enough here in the UK. I've not been able to locate a company that stocks them and would like to introduce my Granddaughter to this hobby.
As a child we used wooden cotton reels but I don't seem to be able to buy those any more either!

Any ideas?

baggythecrust! Mon 27-Jun-11 13:15:05

What is corking, grannycool? i did google the term but that didn't help. When you mentioned wooden bobbins, I wondered if you meant what we used to call French knitting. You hammer four nails into a bobbin and knit a cord on these. Is that right?

grannycool Mon 27-Jun-11 13:56:02

Hi baggythecrust, yes you're right. I had forgotten that it was also called French knitting!
Many thanks.

grannycool Mon 27-Jun-11 13:59:32

Fantastic - thank you so much baggythecrust - I can get exactly what I want from Amazon.

Just shows - use the right terminology and hey presto! Success.

Granieee Sat 09-Jul-11 19:06:02

grannycool I have only just found your thread.
Lakeland did have some French Knitting dolls in their sale. If you haven't found one its worth taking a look

Nanban Mon 24-Sep-12 15:47:08

And I think, Early Learning.

jeni Mon 24-Sep-12 16:08:23

I saw somewhere a lovely picture of a crocheted waistcoat for a little girl! I want to crochet one for my DGD. I'm not sure if it was on gn or not? Can anyone remember it?

Bags Mon 24-Sep-12 16:41:27

You might get some help on ravelry.com, jeni. Someone is bound to have a suitable pattern on there.

Nelliemoser Mon 24-Sep-12 17:18:37

baggythecrust Unfortunately bobbins are all made of plastic nowadays so they don't take the nails like the wooden ones did. Anyway are there any Gransnetter out there who ever actually made anything with the inches of cord which came out of the end of their bobbins?
My guess it was just invented to keep little girls busy when there was nothing else to do and to stop them from getting under the adults feet.

Bags Mon 24-Sep-12 18:03:03

A good reason to invent something, don't you think? wink
Someone in the US (I think) has made some amazing tree decorations with giant versions of bobbin knitting. I'll see if I can find a link to a picture.

BTw, I still buy sewing thread on wooden bobbins – quilting thread. Anyone want one? Let me know if you do smile

whitewave Mon 24-Sep-12 19:25:13

I had one made for me using an empty cotton spool and 4 nails - I can remember all the different colours of the thread.

annodomini Mon 24-Sep-12 19:56:59

I still have a wooden bobbin with white cotton on it, inherited from my mum almost 30 years ago. Shows how much sewing I do.