Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Modern baby clothes

(33 Posts)
Speldnan Mon 01-Aug-11 16:02:26

Further to the knitting discussions. I knitted a couple of cardigans and hats for my new baby granddaughter, not really knowing if my daughter in law would like them or not. Having been out shopping with her to baby shops for the first time in about 25 years I find that the clothes are totally different! lovely but very colourful and trendy which I am not sure I like for new babies. My d in law actually loved the garments I knitted and agreed that the wool is softer than shop bought jumpers.
I am not old fashioned at all when it comes to clothes in general but do object to tiny babies dressed in denim and dark clothes what do other people think?

Carol Fri 18-Nov-11 14:43:02

I love the pastel colours and am in raptures when I see a baby dressed all in white, especially when it's a hand-knitted jacket and hat. My daughters both love really bright colours and stripes on babies, so they tend to buy things from places like Baby Gap and Next as I don't knit enough modern patterns that they really like. Our local wool shop does try to get patterns for funky designs, and if they don't have them in stock, I find what I want on the internet.

gracesmum Fri 18-Nov-11 18:24:47

Oh such nostalgia!! I have been looking out old pictures of youngest DD who is 30 tomorrow so that her sister could arrange to have badges and bunting made for her dinner tomorrow night and she is in Clothkits in nearly every single one!! 3 daughters all wore the cord pinafores or dungarees, the cotton "Paddington Bear" hats and those jacquard t shirt dresses with matching knickers , but my favourites were the little knitted dresses with matching/coordinating tights. They lasted forever, the colours were gorgeous - I remember there was always one sort of bright primary colour option, one pastel and one slightly funky colourway. I made things for myself too. I am slightly put off modern little girls' clothing - too much bright pink and mauve, but companies like Boden and White Company have some lovely things for little boys. I have always liked bright colours on my babies, eldest D had a stripey cardi when about 1 in stripes of crimson, beige, purple and brown - I know!! Perhaps because I never assumed all would be girls, I never went in for pastels or pink as all clothes were expected to do service as hand me downs for future babies - so all 3 girls had more than their fair share of dungarees (often made of Laura Ashley remnents!)

NannaAnna Fri 18-Nov-11 22:35:45

Love to see so many other Clothkit fans. My 2 older daughters lived in it, and my youngest then got what I'd made for both the older ones smile
I made 2 of the padded 'jungle' jackets with several pockets, each with their own stuffed animal. What a lovely idea that was.
I also made the clothkit dolls - one blond one and one dark one. They had whole wardrobes of their own Clothkit clothes!
We also had the knitted winter dresses with matching tights. Brilliant, hardwearing outfits.
I've uploaded pictures of my girls in some of their Clothkit outfits on their Facebook page. I didn't realise the website had such a page too. Will have to go and investigate smile

tanith Fri 18-Nov-11 22:54:39

Must admit I do prefer the bright colours used today for baby clothes , but do remember knitting loads of matinee jackets bootees and bonnets , things have much simpler designs nowadays I find..

Quiltinggran Sat 19-Nov-11 11:21:45

I also made lots of Clothkits clothes for both my children, including a hooded duffel coat and they were all then passed on to my niece and nephew. NanaAnna I also made a Clothkitty with sets of clothes too and when I offered to make one for my gorgeous GD my DD said she planned to give her the one she'd still got after all these years! But I'll certainly be making more clothes from their new site for the DGC.

FlicketyB Sat 19-Nov-11 20:47:01

I also loved Cloth Kits and found their clothes quite reasonable. In their current re-creation however they are very expensive. My daughter still remembers with great affection the lovely knitted dresses they sold. I bought two and they lasted her for years, finally being worn as a top over trousers.

Jorj, Like you I love to see children in bright colours. My children were born in the early 1970s when clothes those colours were Designer Labels only. As both Grandmas were expert knitters I used to get them to knit clothes for me in the colours I loved. I remember in particular a lovely cherry-red knitted jacket both my children wore. We had our disasters, one sweater that was meant to have been knitted in a soft gold was knitted in a colour closer to day-glo orange. It was only worn when the relevant Grandma visited.

Nannakate Sat 03-Dec-11 22:11:22

I've come upon this thread rather late but have just had the disconcerting experience of seeing my 12 week old first grandson's photo on facebook wearing a checked shirt, denim jeans and lace up shoes. My DIL is lovely and there have been few occasions when I haven't thought she is doing a brilliant job of looking after my gorgeous GS. I feel bad about feeling so disapproving and try to move with the times but these things seem so uncomfortable and restrictive as well as not very warm.

I know I will have to keep my mouth shut and be thankful it's not more serious, but it helps to know I'm not alone.

RE: clothkits - I too have many happy memories and used to get them posted to Hong Kong where I live for a while. I even kept a little dress as a happy reminder grin)