Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting little Bobble hats for fun and to help AgeUK

(15 Posts)
shysal Tue 04-Oct-11 11:19:29

Just a reminder that the Innocent hats have to be sent by Oct 14th. My granddaughter and I have done about 30. I have to confess the novelty wore off after a while.
I decided to buy a single bottle of smoothie to test for size, and was shocked to find that in my local Co-op it cost me £1.99 , whereas in Asda 1 litre sells for £3. I bet they still make a hefty profit after donating 25p each to Age UK.

greenmossgiel Fri 26-Aug-11 17:15:55

nipsmum - I love knitting the hats etc! My neighbour and one of my other friends also knit them, and similarly, a really lovely letter is received quite quickly! I get a lot of my wools from charity shops so that means that two lots of people are being helped and my hands are kept supple! smile

nipsmum Fri 26-Aug-11 11:12:58

hi Greenmossgeil
I've been knitting hats for seamen for the past 8 years. My sister and a friend also knit them. They are always gratefully recieved by the Pastor in Aberdeen and I usually get a nice thank you letter too. Like you, when I see ships sitting in the bay waiting to get into the docks I wonder if any of the sailors are wearing one of my wooly hats.

Maniac Wed 24-Aug-11 09:15:34

I downloaded instructions for these diddy hats, have so far produced 10 of them.I'm using all my wool leftovers and have become quite creative.Such fun!
BUT
I reckon that the cost of posting to nearest collection point may be almost as much as the 25p per hat that the promoters 'Innocence' have promised to donate to the Ageuk Winter warmth fund

shysal Wed 24-Aug-11 08:32:45

I started my granddaughter off yesterday and she completed her first hat. She is very proud of herself. I managed 5 yesterday evening just at odd moments. They only take a few minutes each, very satisfying. I am doing basic shapes so far with a ball of random-coloured wool, but watching e-bay for oddments so that I can experiment a bit. On the Big Knit website there are some amazing creations, especially a granny sitting knitting - way beyond my capabilities!

jogginggirl Tue 23-Aug-11 09:01:15

I would if I could knit!! I tried when I had my children many years ago and then again recently when my grandchildren arrived -- complete disasters sad
I packed up all my wools,needles and pattern books recently and sent them to a friend who is a brilliant knitter. She was delighted to receive the surprise parcel, I'll mention Big Knit website to her smile

eGJ Mon 22-Aug-11 21:50:19

Share your good ideas for bobble hats with the rest of us please shysal. Anyone lelse taken up the challenge??

shysal Sun 21-Aug-11 07:58:45

I have e-mailed the pattern to my granddaughter, who has learnt to knit this summer. She seems keen to give the hats a try, and she will have the satisfaction of finishing something quickly. I am going to do a few too. Will have to get my thinking (bobble) hat on for novel ideas.

eGJ Sat 20-Aug-11 22:09:52

You could do lots Jangly, they take a very short time and use up all those odd bits of wool. The strawberry hat is particularly appealing! [the pineapple one too much effort] Let me know when you've given it a try!!

greenmossgiel Sat 20-Aug-11 18:13:18

I don't think I'll be knitting these wee hat things, although I'm sure they're in a good cause. I knit hats, scarves and mittens for seafarers, and send them to the Mission for Seafarers in South-West Scotland. So many young men leave their homes all over the world to work on tankers etc., and sometimes these are the only homes they have for years. When they join the ships in their own, often hot countries, they often do so with the clothes they stand up in and no warm clothing for when the ships sail in northern seas. When they dock in Britain, they can visit The Seafarers' Mission and be given warm hats, scarves and gloves for the rest of their journeys! I like doing these bits of knitting - keeps my hands supple and uses up bits of wool! However, sometimes when I see a tanker passing by on our coast here, I do wonder if one of the lads on it is perhaps wearing that lilac striped fluffy hat that I did last year....!smile

jangly Sat 20-Aug-11 17:58:44

Only got till the 10th October!

I suppose they are quite small though.

jangly Sat 20-Aug-11 17:54:33

The devil definitely makes work for idle hands round here.

jangly Sat 20-Aug-11 17:53:52

Oh! I could do some, couldn't I!

Will look at website.

Might start me knitting again. That could be a good thing.

jangly Sat 20-Aug-11 17:52:24

Why haven't I seen these?! They are so cute.

I wonder if I could teach the grandsons to knit.

eGJ Sat 20-Aug-11 12:55:54

Have you seen those little bobble hats on Innocent Smoothies in November and December each year and wondered about them? They're knitted by all sorts of people (particularly Grans!) and raise money for ageUK in your own locality. How many could we collectively try to knit for fun and to help them hit their target of 650,000 hats. See The Big Knit 2011 website. Anyone willing to join me?