Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

British Wool

(6 Posts)
glammanana Sun 04-Mar-12 11:45:14

operacat how lucky you are to have such a gift at your fingertips I bet you make some beautiful garments,personally I have never past the stage of baby knitting for my own and my DGCs when they where in their prams,the most adventurious being a blanket for the high pram which lasted through all the DGCs and is still part of the family,that is the height of my knitting achievements sadly.

operacat Sun 04-Mar-12 11:13:58

I knit professionally....I make Shetland Lace, and Fair Isle garments, and the yarn is produced in Shetland and Fair Isle, it's now an 'appelation controllee', sorry I don't know what the correct term is in English it means that anything labelled Shetland or Fair Isle actually HAS to be made with Shetland yarn, otherwise it has to be called "Shetland -type".

HildaW Fri 09-Sep-11 13:02:52

In this part of Herefordshire they are very keen on supporting British Wool, we even have a little shop in Leominster that sells everything related to spinning, feeces and crafts that involve wool - its a delight.

Granieee Tue 06-Sep-11 12:23:01

Its surprising how many things are made from British Wool, my daughter bought a wool duvet, there are also pillows stuffed with washed fleece. All are covered in 100% cotton.
British Wool is available and is mostly sold in skeins! You just need another pair of helping hands before you can get started! smile

susiecb Tue 06-Sep-11 09:30:22

Yes I have got the knitting bug and go to a knitting group in the pub and library its such a relaxing thing to do. I am mostly doing plain patterns with many coloured wools and am about to start some nice handwarmer thingys for the winter. Will be looking out for British wool. Did you know you can get loft insulation made from fleeces?

Granieee Mon 05-Sep-11 16:33:10

Any one out there knit?
http://www.woolsack.org/
My daugher and I went to the Harrogate on Sunday to the Yorkshire Showground to an exhibition promoting British Wool. Yes we bought wool and yes we will be sending a cushion. I think its lovely that cushions made with British Wool will be winging their way all over the world.