Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What are you knitting at the moment?

(321 Posts)
ninnynanny Sat 17-Sep-11 09:02:05

I am knitting a red cardigan for my grandaughter but I think it's a bit big, will have to put it away until next year. I often have this problem with sizes, can't be bothered with the size swatch. I have bought lots of wool, if I see a good buy try to get some. Have some lovely wool now she is out of the baby colours, red, lavender, pomegranet. Hate sewing up though!

Sook Sun 19-Jan-14 20:31:29

Marelli The pattern came free with the yarn (Regia). Plenty of sock patterns on the Ravelry site and videos on Youtube to help you get started. smile. Your cardigan sounds lovely I like the idea of using a belt instead of ribbon.

Maniac knits socks too.

Brendawymms Sun 19-Jan-14 21:10:55

At the moment I am knitting with Sirdar Crofter. This knits up in a sort of mock fair isle and looks quite good. The yarn goes a long way as well. The back just two balls for instance.
My sister also sent me two balls of yarn she was sent for Xmas that knit up into those frilly scarves. She could not work out what to do so they got sent to me to knit for her.
When these two projects are finished I have a möbius knit awaiting in two yarns together. It's ok once the cast on row is done.
When all that's done it's back to a crochet blanket that is doing my head in!
There are a couple of good craft shows coming up in the spring. One in Birmingham and two in London. They always inspire more craft and knitting.

Frannygranny Sun 19-Jan-14 23:51:27

I have just started knitting a Fairisle C.....mas stocking for my DGD for next C.....mas when she'll be three and just the right age to start hanging up her stocking. Not knitted something like this for a while. Give me a 2 ply shawl any day!!

Nelliemoser Mon 20-Jan-14 00:20:24

BrendaW

Well done your daughter! She has obviously got the knitting bug as well.

I have a pattern for a cabled side ways knitted jumper not the the one I am doing at present, (see my post below).

I did my first cable bolero last spring before my shoulder really started playing up and I had to go from May until December without knitting. At it's worst I could not even do squares. I am managing now, but not too much at a time. Its horribly addictive. I have just knitted through 3hrs of old (1991) Taggart on't tele .

petallus Mon 20-Jan-14 11:43:59

I am about to start knitting a colourful 'band' to go around a tree in our woods where a beloved dog's ashes were scattered a few years ago. The original one snapped and fell off.

It was my daughter's dog and she asked me to do it.

Elegran Mon 20-Jan-14 12:19:17

I am not knitting at the moment but I have reinstated the spinning wheel from the purely decorative position in the corner that it has occupied for the last 7 or 8 years (could be more).

About then I bought supplies of several colours of dyed merino tops which can be spun as they are or combined to mix your own solid colour or "stripy" yarn. When I restarted first I was so rusty that I produced very lumpy yarn, but I am improving with each batch. It takes longer than buying it readymade! and probably costs much the same, but it is very therapeutic and you can create lovely effects. The main problem is repeating the exact mix the next time round - my most successful project was a cardigan with stripes of various shades of the same mix alternated with the plain blue that was common to all of them.

I don't know yet what I will knit or crochet with it. I suspect it will be something rectangular, like cushion covers, which can be done without looking while watching TV.

ginny Fri 24-Jan-14 08:50:46

I am knitting some prem. baby hats and cardigans for a local charity. If you have small amount of wool left over ( 30 gms. will make a cardigan)
it's a way to use them up and do some good at the same time.

Petrapan Sun 26-Jan-14 14:45:07

I am knitting a shoulder bag. "say no more" grin.

Marelli Sun 26-Jan-14 15:07:00

Sook - thanks for that! I'll have a look on the Ravelry site. I'm just about finished my cardi. I fancy making thick, cosy, stripey socks that I can wear instead of slippers! smile

granjura Sun 26-Jan-14 16:13:24

Another curly wurly scarf for a young friend in the UK who loved mine.

(knit 18, purl 18- then knit 16 turn and purl 16, then knit 15 and purl 15, then 14, 13, etc- until you have 2, then knit 18, purl 18- and repeat. It takes about 3 to 4 triangles as above until it starts to twist). Of course adjust number and needles depending on yarn).

Frannygranny Sun 26-Jan-14 21:54:11

ginny I'm also knitting preemie hats and squares to make into preemie blankets. My DGD was in Aberdeen NICU when she was born and I feel it's a very small contribution to the ward and other babies. There is a charity called the Linus Project (after Linus in the Snoopy cartoons) and they help to coordinate with various hospitals.

Aurelia Sun 26-Jan-14 23:04:45

J52
If you are still following the thread, would you share your shawl pattern please?
It sounds exactly what I need, and not too difficult for me smile

Irene16 Sat 01-Feb-14 13:04:36

I've been knitting cowls in super chunky bright colours to give a lift on grey days. They manage to hold my attention and are quick and satisfying to knit. smile Easy to wear as well and you don't need to worry too much about size/tension.

granjura Sat 01-Feb-14 13:15:25

Got a sampler on the go to practise some of the more fancy stitches I'd forgotten about, cables, trinity, and many others.

sherish Sat 01-Feb-14 13:26:17

I have almost finished a shrug type cardigan and have just finished a pair of fingerless mittens. I find them useful for getting hold of things without taking them off. I'm now knitting a second pair for DD so she can use her iphone with them on. Useful too for finding door keys and unlocking doors with them.

margaretm74 Sat 01-Feb-14 18:34:57

Apart from other projects (scarf for Dd2, just finished jumper for DGD) I am struggling with Rose Fairy Doll, Patons pattern ..
Full of enthusiasm I decided to knit all of them, thank goodness I didn't buy all the yarn, not difficult but the sewing up is tedious. And her wings have had to be reknitted because I sewed them up wrong. She is sitting next to me, I would say looking reproachful except she hasn't got a face yet!

Icyalittle Sat 01-Feb-14 18:44:11

A scarf for DD in Rowan Kidsilk Haze. Utterly stunning Kaffe Fassett colours, but it is taking forever. It is so fine, even knitting on size 5 UK needles, it has taken 5 weeks so far. Never again! (But so beautiful).
granjura what sort of wool do you use for your curly wurly ones? Sounds fun.

Grannyknot Sat 01-Feb-14 18:50:40

granjura

(knit 18, purl 18- then knit 16 turn and purl 16, then knit 15 and purl 15, then 14, 13, etc- until you have 2, then knit 18, purl 18- and repeat. It takes about 3 to 4 triangles as above until it starts to twist).

I'd like to try your pattern but how do you get from the 2 stitches that you end up with, back to 18? And how do you get to 16 etc from 18 do you K2tog at the start and end of each row?

Sorry for being slow on the uptake!

craftygran1 Thu 01-May-14 15:35:09

Hi there knitters,

I want to start knitting but I was never taught as a child, can you recommend any where I can learn? I prefer to watch videos on how to.. If you could suggest some websites or videos, I would really appreciate this!

J52 Tue 06-May-14 17:27:04

Crafty gran: I would get some cheapish double knitting yarn and 4 mm needles. A charity shop might be a cheap source. Then a book showing techniques, also look on u tube. Some knitting shops have evening classes, or find a knitter who might help you.
Even for us experienced knitters it is never plain sailing. I have just undone a side of a baby jumper, it was completely a different size to the other side. I'd cast on 14 too few stitches!! How, I do not know! Good luck, happy knitting!