Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Pininterest.com? Fasinating! Try it... Ah go on, go on, go on!

(29 Posts)
Newlife101 Mon 06-Feb-12 16:42:18

I only joined Gransnet last night and when posting a response to a 'New hobbies' message, I wondered if it might get lost in the myriad of other comments.
So - for what it is worth - I thought I would start this new thread about Pininterest which is so brilliant. Here is my original posting:

I have recently been forced to retire early (arthritis) and after having three new hips (yes, you did read that right) have also been trying to find something interesting... and I found Pininterest.com!
Its an electronic bulletin board which is seriously addictive. Members post photographs/humour/decor/crafts etc and it is like having a fresh, free, fasinating magazine delivered to your laptop/pc/iphone every few hours.
Not sure how popular it is in the UK as a lot of the users appear to be based in the US, but it really is endlessly fasinating - some of their cultural ideas are more than just a tad difficult to get used to (eg the feedback of 'I want one' when a pink and black handgun was posted!!!) but I guess that is why I find it so fascinating.
In an earlier life I was an anthropology lecturer, so dipping in and out of this site really educated me.
Check it out for yourself I really would love to hear how other British viewers react!

Ariadne Mon 06-Feb-12 17:35:11

I'll have a look! Thank you.

glassortwo Mon 06-Feb-12 19:05:42

My DD got me to join before Christmas, its like looking in peoples windows when the lights are on and their curtains are open grin

Jacey Mon 06-Feb-12 20:52:45

Thank you Newlife101 ...I'm not sure how it works ...but looks fun to dibble in and out of smile

littlemo Tue 07-Feb-12 19:48:08

Thanks Newlife, had a quick look and it seems so interesting I'll go back later when I have time for a good long time to browse. Glad you told us about it!

Stansgran Sun 03-Feb-13 19:02:35

A year later and I've joined Pinterest . I love the creativity and it gives me so many ideas. I'm making GD a bag out of the top part of some jeans which she grew out of before she had any wear out of. There is a demo on you tube in Spanish . Has anyone else done this? I don't know if she will use it

jennycockerspaniel Sun 03-Feb-13 19:08:23

I have looked on there I am looking for a pair of girls knitted slippers age 6 sorry if Ive gone off post

glassortwo Sun 03-Feb-13 19:19:12

I love looking at other peoples boards but I must admit I don't have very much on mine. jenny all the best threads wander smile

Stansgran Sun 03-Feb-13 19:19:18

Try coats website. I've made quilted pixie boots from their sewing patterns. I'm sure they have knitted slippers or maybe crochet just google.

baubles Sun 03-Feb-13 19:22:10

So glad we are back in my time zone, for a horrible few seconds I thought I'd blacked out & lost a day or two! Phew!

Hello Newlife101 and also jennycockerspaniel (I've got one of those smile)

I've vaguely heard of Pinterest but never looked, I'll do so soon.

jennycockerspaniel Mon 04-Feb-13 05:16:43

Thankyou will have a look.

j07 Mon 04-Feb-13 10:28:47

Cari joined that a few days back.

#nosegettinglongerallthetime

Stansgran Mon 04-Feb-13 11:50:36

JO7 why?

j07 Mon 04-Feb-13 12:05:53

Why wot?

ginny Mon 04-Feb-13 13:32:10

My name is Ginny and I'm a 'pinaholic'. This site should come with a warning. I love crafting and have used many of the brilliant ideas.

janthea Mon 04-Feb-13 15:12:51

I'm on Pinterest, but haven't found it madly exciting. Don't see the point of it.

Stansgran Mon 04-Feb-13 15:57:05

Why is your nose getting longer? Because Cari didn't join Pinterest ? Baffled

skybluepink Sun 17-Feb-13 12:29:03

It is great once you get the hang of it , it takes you on journeys via others with similar interests .It is inspiring.

soop Sun 17-Feb-13 12:46:21

I'm already seriously addicted to GN. Haven't time to do much else! wink

kittylester Sun 17-Feb-13 16:44:28

I'm with you soop

#fartoodangerous

soop Sun 17-Feb-13 16:46:43

Well, that makes two of us, kitty

Galen Sun 17-Feb-13 17:22:28

I've joined but I can't see how it works
I'm obviously thick!

MercedesYang Fri 22-Feb-13 02:06:20

I have an account there as well, in fact it is a picture website which is total different from our GN, so much fun would be found there, guess we can have a try there to widen our perception to the outside in fact. grin

JudyAdamson Sun 24-Feb-13 16:48:32

Hi -

I agree that Pinterest can be totally addictive! Especially if, like me, you can call it 'work' so don't feel at all guilty about 'wasting time' on there!

I've just completed an online Surface Pattern Design course and collecting patterns, colours and so on that we like on Pinterest was one of the way suggested for identifying our 'signature style'! The hours can just fly away . . .

Here's me: pinterest.com/judyadamson/

Ariadne Sun 24-Feb-13 17:51:39

I don't think I "get" it at all. My hours fly by anyway!