Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Pininterest.com? Fasinating! Try it... Ah go on, go on, go on!

(30 Posts)
Newlife101 Mon 06-Feb-12 16:42:18

I only joined Gransnet last night and when posting a response to a 'New hobbies' message, I wondered if it might get lost in the myriad of other comments.
So - for what it is worth - I thought I would start this new thread about Pininterest which is so brilliant. Here is my original posting:

I have recently been forced to retire early (arthritis) and after having three new hips (yes, you did read that right) have also been trying to find something interesting... and I found Pininterest.com!
Its an electronic bulletin board which is seriously addictive. Members post photographs/humour/decor/crafts etc and it is like having a fresh, free, fasinating magazine delivered to your laptop/pc/iphone every few hours.
Not sure how popular it is in the UK as a lot of the users appear to be based in the US, but it really is endlessly fasinating - some of their cultural ideas are more than just a tad difficult to get used to (eg the feedback of 'I want one' when a pink and black handgun was posted!!!) but I guess that is why I find it so fascinating.
In an earlier life I was an anthropology lecturer, so dipping in and out of this site really educated me.
Check it out for yourself I really would love to hear how other British viewers react!

JudyAdamson Mon 25-Feb-13 10:25:31

Ariadne - it's only like other social networks, all about sharing.

For instance, when you're online, you come across a fabric or piece of upcycled furniture you love, or a quote that seems to mean a lot, or even a joke that made you laugh - and you feel you'd like to share it, in case it would also appeal to others.

So you just 'pin' it smile - and then you notice that others are 'following' you - so you take a look at their boards to see if you want to follow them - and discover more fabrics, furniture, wise words and funnies etc . . .

janthea Mon 25-Feb-13 11:19:35

JudyAdamson Looked again and understand the point you are making about people following you and your interests in fabric, furniture, etc. But still don't see the point in it! Why would I be interested in strangers' boards? hmm

josephine Wed 10-Apr-13 13:54:42

I love pinterest my kids Do'nt seem to get it , then i'm a list person smile

jennyjay Wed 10-Apr-13 14:59:06

My daughter has recently got involved in card-making and we were told about pinterest not so long ago. There is so much talent out there! She found so many useful tips, and step-by-step guides and it changes every day too! We're never lost for ideas...