Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

How to go larger??

(5 Posts)
Greatnan Thu 05-Apr-12 18:34:02

I haven't knitted for years but doesn't using a bigger needle make a bigger garment?

Bee99 Thu 05-Apr-12 18:31:29

Many thanks "bagitha" and "witchy" for the tips, I will attempt that next time I see a great pattern and let you know the results. Thank you.

witchy Tue 03-Apr-12 08:55:59

I agree with bagitha but would like to add one extra point. DO knit a tension square so you are sure your knitting will turn out the right size. If you add stitches as suggested and your tension is loose just imagine how HUGE the finished garment would be! By the same token if you knit too tight it will still be small. I knit a lot and still check my tension for each item. Don't forget to buy extra yarn too.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

bagitha Tue 03-Apr-12 07:51:59

Off the top of my head, bee99, I'd say have a look at the number of stitches that the pattern increases for each size and do the same from the beginning. So, if the pattern tells you to cast on, say, ten more stitches for each size that you go up, then do that for the size you want. Then follow the same shaping increases or decreases that the pattern uses for the smaller sizes. Hope that makes some kind of sense confused!

Bee99 Tue 03-Apr-12 07:25:06

I'm a tight size 24, comfortable size 26 and have frequently wanted to knit or crochet a smashing pattern in a magazine only to discover that larger ladies are not catered for? Does anybody know how to increase throughout the whole knitting pattern correctly please? hmm