Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Does anyone else think the no knitting needle rule on airlines is stupid

(83 Posts)
NanaChrissie Wed 02-May-12 21:22:00

Hi all knitters and crocheters. Just travelled back on a turkish airline. I was happily crocheting in the depart lounge and for 3 hours on airline when a young male trolley dolly tried to take my 2.50 hook off me. The female dollies were amazed and took my side. I kept my hook! The border controls allow these and wooden needles thro. I spoke with a stewardess and she has told me to lobby relevant aviation authorities - which I shall do

Joan Sun 03-Jun-12 23:16:14

Only just seen this thread. I reckon a knitting needle ban is a dastardly plot by militant crochet advocates, to ban their main rival, and keep all wool craft women hooked.

gracesmum Tue 05-Jun-12 15:05:42

Years ago my FIL and MIL flew to Israel at the invitation of the Israeli government where my FILwas due to present a ceremonial Commando knife to the President(?)?Prime Minister on behalf of the Commando association. They were in the same party as a group form St Dunstans (blind ex-servicemen) and check in was at least 2 hours more than usual. We were fulsome in the praise of El AL security until......unfortunately my FIL had the knife in his hand luggage (too risky to trust to hold luggage, might get left behind) and said so. It nearly caused a diplomatic incident as not only were they not prepared to let him take it on board, they nearly banned him from flying at all. It was resolved, but after a long "conversation".

NanaChrissie Fri 08-Jun-12 07:56:40

Hi Joan. I should have qualified the thread (pardon the pun) more. I stopped taking knitting needles due to the hassle on the plane. So take crochet instead to while away the hours. Always male trolley dolly who gets uppity, too. Females have no problem as they are crafters themselves or their relatives are and they are used to seeing needles and hooks whizzing away. I always declared them and they always passed through passport control no problem - unlike the flour I took for baking whilst on holiday. That was quite funny when the Waitrose shopping bag with 5 kilos of flour was detoured to the examination area. You live and learn. You can take flour but you have to seal it in either a zip plastic pouch or wrap it in cling film and place it in the tray so that it can be seen. You can take cheese too. Until this moment, I have never thought about Snow White and the Poisoned Apple. But I suppose the air crew are told not to accept food from passengers - just in case! Having said that. I might bake a cake and offer it to the crew just to see.

NanaChrissie Fri 08-Jun-12 08:07:17

Hi Gracesmum. I heard a similar story about a Ghurka kukri some years ago. The military passenger/owner didn't class it as a weapon but as an ornament. The story of the kukri being every time it is drawn out of its sheath it must draw blood. Everyone in the Army knew the legend and this particular passenger had no wish to cut himself each time he unsheathed his kukri. He also actually convinced the security at Heathrow after an hour or so. But this was long before the current restrictions.

RINKY Tue 30-Oct-12 00:02:12

It would be nice if you could see a friendly face on a security guard occasionally.
Surely it can't be too hard to be professional with a smile on your face. I almost feel like a criminal just by going through the gate. I always smile and say good morning or what ever but rarely get a good reaction.

storynanny Sun 11-Nov-12 13:18:46

You can take knitting needles of any material from London to the USA and back in hand luggage, I did it this week. Not sure if you are allowed to use them on the plane though, not very easy anyway with limited arm space.

BlueSky Sun 11-Nov-12 15:23:59

I find it strange that knitting needles are allowed on board, what I find weird is that make up items like lipstick, foundation and face cream are still classed as liquids. I know they can be taken on board in a separate plastic bag but it's still a nuisance. When I transited through Singapore I binned all my chewing gums and codeine tablets as I was told they were illegal! confused