Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Free knitting patterns

(21 Posts)
ninnynanny Thu 17-May-12 15:28:30

Have a look at knittingpatterncentral.com lots of free patterns.

eGJ Thu 17-May-12 16:30:19

I've done just that ninnynanny and think the'll be lots of hours spent looking at the wide varity of patterns; nice to see the Novelty Easter Egg hats there which were on GN before Easter! smile flowers to you ninnynanny

ninnynanny Thu 17-May-12 18:25:07

You're welcome, I'm knitting baby blanket at the moment (the third time I've knitted it) www.tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/free-knitting-patterns-for-baby-blankets2.htm

pattieb Thu 17-May-12 18:42:57

There is also www.knittingparadise.com where you can sign up for the newsletter, there are loads of links to free patterns, a daily summary of the forum and lots of other interesting stuff.

ninnynanny Thu 17-May-12 19:31:45

Thanks pattieb I've just has a look and signed up and found link to http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/knitting/index2.php lots of free patterns

Jacey Fri 18-May-12 09:44:31

Hi ninnynanny and pattieb

Thanx for the web sites ...but if you click on the box "convert links automatically" (which is below the message box) ...all your web addresses become 'liv' and make it easier for us to access them smile

www.tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/free-knitting-patterns-for-baby-blankets2.htm

www.knittingparadise.com

www.canadianliving.com/crafts/knitting/index2.php

happytrish Sun 20-May-12 15:30:00

this site is also good for free patterns
http://www.garnstudio.com/index_lang.php

deebav Mon 06-Aug-12 18:21:01

I have been knitting socks. People say they are the most comfortable they have ever worn.
Does anybody live in Newbury and have an interest in knitting?

Sook Mon 06-Aug-12 19:19:52

deebav For my sins grin I also knit socks. My husband also says they are the most comfortable he has ever one. I have only managed to knit myself 1 pair so far but find them very comfy. I live in Cheshire but would be interested in talking knitting via email.

Siena Tue 04-Sep-12 18:38:06

I am looking for a free ladies double knitting gloves pattern can anyone recomend one please

Daisyanswerdo Wed 10-Oct-12 16:21:10

sook and deebav, I would like to knit some socks for my dil for Christmas. I saw some 'fair isle effect' socks in a pattern book but I couldn't see any of the yarn. Another shopper recommended another brand. Can you please recommend a pattern and/or yarn I could use? I'm a reasonably experienced knitter.

jeimuli Fri 26-Oct-12 11:05:00

I've just finished knitting two. covers for Kindles. My daughter had managed to download a picture of what she wanted but I had to work out how to knit it. First step was a tension square. I'm finding I have to do these often nowadays as that way I can use any yarn that I want rather than having to use expensive brands. I'm pleased with my progress as I can use wool from the Pound shops, which is often between 4 ply, double knitting and aran. A tip I picked up from when I did machine knitting is that the colour/dye of the wool can alter its thickness, something that is worth bearing in mind. Hope this helps others.

eGJ Fri 26-Oct-12 11:53:43

Daisyanswerdo Fairisle socks can be made using Regia - Self Patterned Sock Wool 4 Ply works very well. http://www.modernknitting.co.uk/shop/schoppel-wolle-4-ply-sock-yarn-26853-0.html is another brand. Happy knitting!

granjura Fri 26-Oct-12 18:19:41

Has anyone got a good pattern for a child's crocheted poncho, please? I used to have one with a great square hood, but I've lost it. Thanks.

Daisyanswerdo Wed 31-Oct-12 14:31:13

Thank you eGJ, I'll have a look at those.

Sook Wed 31-Oct-12 14:48:02

Daisyanswerdo just picked up this thread so sorry for the late reply. I have used Regia sock yarn which often comes with a free pattern.

There are lots of sock wools available. If you have an Abakhan (they tend to be mainly in the NW) near you they have various sock yarns to choose from they also have a website. Also Black Sheep Wools based in Cheshire also has a website both are on FB too. Wool can be ordered online too.

Daisyanswerdo Wed 31-Oct-12 18:11:30

Thank you Sook, there is a wool shop near me (I'm in the south) and I'll see if they stock Regia - free pattern sounds good! Failing that, I'll have a look at the other sites you mention.

Maniac Thu 01-Nov-12 18:35:59

DaisyanswerdoI also picked up a Regia sock pattern last winter and so far have knitted socks for DD,GD ans SIL.
I use multicolored Patons FAB DK wool which I bought from our local branch of Maynards newsagents!
Photo of last sock on my photo profile!

mrsmopp Wed 07-Nov-12 23:43:11

A suggestion for patterns in case you can't find what you want online- our library has several books of knitting patterns and you can just photocopy the page you want. I have also joined a knitting circle and we are always sharing our patterns.

I am so pleased that knitting is having a revival after being in the doldrums for years. I knitted a poppy this evening and stitched it to a safety pin as I have bought two from poppy sellers and they have fallen off my coat. Everyone commented on it. Just google knit a poppy and the pattern is there.

birdey Mon 08-Apr-13 16:10:39

yes, just love knitting paradise. i have been a member for a couple of years. such lovely work shown and so many patterns for free and loads of ideas. they have a monthly swap where you sent off a package to another member and receive one back. christmas every month. also international swaps (if you can afford the postage). i dropped out of that one as it was just too expensive. any problems (knitting/crochet/sewing of not) and someone on there will sort it for you. it's like talking to people all over the world.

birdey Mon 08-Apr-13 16:12:47

as the other person said - try knittingpatterncentral.com