Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

sewing pvc bibs and safety of 'phthalates'

(7 Posts)
MercedesYang Fri 22-Feb-13 01:57:31

Yeah, frida I agree to not use the fabric for safety's sake, it would be fine to have other alternation. Items for baby truly need to be paid as much attention to. I bear your information in mind as well, thanks for you share! smile

frida Sat 16-Feb-13 22:20:15

Cannot find the info re-PVC but decided not to use it while baby little. However, I did find and use some wonderful fabric for making bibs. It's called 'Minky' and can be used for all sorts of baby things. You can buy it on e-bay and a few internet sites. Google up 'minky fabric' and you'll find it.

MamaCaz Sat 16-Feb-13 15:30:36

Thanks for answering, frida. I'll bear those in mind. smile

frida Thu 14-Feb-13 22:01:16

MamaCaz, I will see if I can re-discover the 'links' and post them for you. The thing that 'stuck' in my mind was 'no PVC under 6 months of age, no sleeping wearing PVC bibs/garments due to risk of overheating.

MamaCaz Thu 14-Feb-13 13:37:24

I was thinking of using PVC myself to make bibs/aprons for my baby grandson, so I would be interested to know what information you found. smile

frida Thu 28-Jun-12 07:01:17

back again, have found out what i need to know so this post can be deleted by the moderator if neccessary

frida Wed 27-Jun-12 13:49:52

I have made a couple of bibs from pvc material for my finger-feeding grandaughter.
Her mummy thinks they're great and they keep the little one clean and not-too-sticky at mealtimes. I bought the material at a department store for one bib and some more from e-bay. The material was sold as'suitable for crafts, tablecloths etc' and I have seen similar material in used in cafes. I am now a bit confused about the safety of this material having read about 'phthalates' the chemicals used in producing pvc goods on a website about sewing this type of fabric. Apparently, these are harmful to babies. The department store was unhelpful and the e-bay seller hasn't replied to my query. Does anyone know anything about this sort of material ? DD would like some more bibs if it's safe.