Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Amazing ballpoint pen drawings

(4 Posts)
Nosila Sun 26-Aug-12 09:56:46

His skill is to be admired although I'm not a fan of photo realism. I feel it's rather cold and unemotional, I quite like daubs of paint if the end result 'speaks' to me.

Bags Sun 26-Aug-12 09:53:25

I agree, butty, that there's something about these drawings that is, to my eye, not quite right, and it is to do with the exactness and almost over-sharpness of details. However, I am truly amazed at the drawing skills. And ballpoint pen is not an easy medium, I should think. You can't paint over your mistakes or rub anything out.

I'd like to see what he could do in oils or watercolours or pastels or charcoal....

Butternut Sun 26-Aug-12 08:34:13

Yes, I can see what you mean about respecting Silva's skill, yet there's something about the realism and exactness of his work that I don't like. I wonder what his work is like when (if this is the case) he does not work purely from photos. I suppose I'm saying I like the originality of daubs of paint on canvas - whereas with these it's the medium used that has an originality, not the content. Too much like photos.

Think I'm having a grumpy Sunday morning. wink

Bags Sun 26-Aug-12 08:00:37

An artist called Samuel Silva does ballpoint pen drawings that are pretty amazing. Check out the link in the Huff Post. Even if I didn't want these on my walls, and however much one likes modern abstract 'art', something makes me think there is more skill involved in producing these drawings than there is in putting what look like daubs of paint on canvas, and for that the artist has my repsect. Can't seem to drum up the same respect for some more famous 'artists'.