Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Ravelry

(13 Posts)
margaretm74 Fri 07-Feb-14 19:19:37

And the different yarns:

www.theknittingsite.com/knitting-conversion-tables/

Although I bought some 8ply in Australia and it seems slightly thicker than UK DK.

Off to finish DD2'S scarf!

ginny Fri 07-Feb-14 11:10:13

Yes, I'm on it. Have used quite a few free patterns. They do tend to use a lot of circular needle which I am not to keen on. Please make sure you are using the right needles as many are USA sizes and it's easy to forget to convert. Well, it is for me !

Cerasus Fri 07-Feb-14 10:48:06

I love Ravelry for inspiration and ideas. Like especially the library feature to save things I stumble across and might just get around to one day!

sherish Fri 06-Dec-13 07:42:16

Yes I am. I download the free patterns. I have just been trying my hand at those cute amigurumi crocheted toys. Also the knitting patterns. I know they are an American site but it's easy enough to get to know the equivalent size hooks, wool etc if you Google it.

Versavisa Thu 05-Dec-13 08:33:20

Yes, love Ravelry.

It's been the only way to sort out my stash and make notes on all my projects. I like being organised. Also very good to check out what other people have done with a particular pattern or yarn. I've been put off a pattern by seeing other people's efforts before now.

There is also an iphone app which works with it which is quite useful. It's called Wooly and when I'm in a wool shop I can check what wool I've got before I buy the same thing again (not unknown!).

I don't get into the social side of Ravelry too much but that's the beauty of it - you use the aspects of it you need and ignore the ones you don't.

Is there a Gransnetters group on there, or do we need to start one?

penguinpaperback Wed 04-Dec-13 20:09:05

Yes I'm often on there. Great site and very friendly if anyone needs help or advice. smile

kalexie Wed 04-Dec-13 15:34:26

Wow, what a brilliant site. Only just discovered it through this thread, a huge thank you to ElsieJoy for sharing. Yes sook, the patterns by Frankie Brown are absolutely gorgeous as is the James C Brett yarn she uses in some of them. I've even learned some new knitting techniques that I've never come across before. Brilliant!

grannybuy Tue 05-Mar-13 21:40:49

I too am on Ravelry. Got a great pattern for a crochet baby blanket called the Wave blanket. Have done one in 'boy' colours, and now doing the 'girl' one. You can certainly spend a lot of time on the site. I was delighted to discover that I am not the only one with a large stash of yarn. I always say that I will have to have a long retirement to get through it all!

Sook Tue 09-Oct-12 10:23:50

Love Ravelry and in particular Frankie Brown who posts delightful patterns for all sorts of lovely items mostly for children. Her patterns are free but if you wish you can make a donation to the The Childrens Liver Foundation.

Just wish there were enough hours in the day ........sigh.

Bags Tue 09-Oct-12 10:10:34

smile. Wish I could spend more time knitting and crocheting than I do, but it affects my health. Still, I enjoy it when I can. I'm knitting a poncho at the moment and crocheting a granny-squares blanket. Slowly!

What are you making, elsiejoy?

ElsieJoy Tue 09-Oct-12 10:03:19

Absolutely!!... but very addictive too

Bags Tue 09-Oct-12 08:10:53

Yep. DD1 is a complete addict. It's a good site, isn't it?

ElsieJoy Tue 09-Oct-12 07:06:24

Are any of you knitters on 'Ravelry'? [[ www.ravelry.com/ ]]

It is Facebook for Knitters and a great source of information and patterns, I love it