Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Ilfracombe. Angel of the West? - Public Art

(59 Posts)
isthisallthereis Tue 16-Oct-12 14:04:56

Wow!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19881524

I had no idea this was going up in Ilfracombe! Anyone live there or know it?

It's worked for me, I might actually go there now next time I'm in the West Country (and buy a cup of tea, a fish & chips or hotel accom ie put some money into the local economy), and it'd be for the first time. Even though the place seems more than a bit rough in the BBC report. I love the woman saying "We've got enough pregnant women in this town already". It all reads like an episode of Shameless, with fish!

btw I think Hirst is an appalling artist and it's a very poor sculpture**. But that's not the point. It's not permanent, it can always be removed, it's only a loan anyway. I went to Damien Hirst's exhibition recently at Tate Modern and it was garbage, imo. I couldn't wait to get out. He's a brilliant self-publicist, hence the absurd diamond-encrusted skull (made by Hatton Garden craftsmen, he can't actually make any of this stuff!) No doubt this giant figure is more self-publicity. You can always shut your eyes as you walk past it if you don't like it.

But should the Council have given it planning permission? I say a big Yes.

** of course it would be great if all public sculpture was of the standard of Michelangelo's David or of Barbara Hepworth or Alexander Calder. But this is the real world. And there was an article (in the Guardian?) about why all recent public art in this country is cr@p and always will be. Dancing to too many irreconcilable tunes. Prompted by the cancellation of Mark Wallinger's White Horse project in Ebbsfleet, Kent.

** many thanks, Professor Google, here's the Wallinger article:

www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2011/jul/05/public-art-cannot-be-good-art

Now that would indeed have been a superb piece, imo. His work I saw recently at the Baltic in Newcastle was thrilling, wonderful, bliss!

Here are some of the public sculptures we have/have to endure round here (a-f) for any of your thoughts or comments and four from London, all of which I adore, especially (j). I'll say now that (a) in Loughborough is massively popular with everyone I hear speak about it, so that must rate it a success ..... mustn't it? Humour seems to help. The Oadby one, (d), has always been a total mystery to me. What it is and even why it is! I think it's something to do with the local textile industry and it's supposed to help give Oadby some identity, heehee ... it's not worked on that score then:

a) empedia.info/resource/124?set=empedia%3Amaps%2F7

b) www.flickr.com/photos/historyanorak/3034691604/

c) www.leicester.gov.uk/your-council-services/lc/growth-and-history/statuesandsculpture/southafricanwarmemorial/

d) www.flickr.com/photos/mistdog/6110773982/

e) www.crosbyheritage.co.uk/location/leicester/thomas-cook-statue/

f) www.leicester.gov.uk/your-council-services/lc/growth-and-history/statuesandsculpture/seamstress/

g) www.flickr.com/photos/normko/1338558748/

h) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArcelorMittal_Orbit

i) www.timeout.com/london/art/event/56072/anish-kapoor

j) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sculpture_Of_Boy_With_A_Dolphin-Chelsea.JPG

crimson Thu 18-Oct-12 16:38:46

Oh, I thought for a moment you hated the Betjeman statue, isthis sad. I agree; the other one is horrid. We were in Cornwall when Betjeman was buried at the church in the sand at Trebetherick. He and Dan Cruickshank were instrumental in saving Spitalfields from the developpers as well, were they not?

Beachee Thu 18-Oct-12 22:48:17

I saw Verity on Sunday. She's big. And that's all I can find to say.
She was having a lie down after her long journey - lying flat on her back with her big bronze foot up in the air and a tent over her head. The seagulls appreciated somewhere new to leave their "messages" smile

isthisallthereis Fri 19-Oct-12 13:00:42

oldgreymare: Can't imagine how such a lovely woman was attracted to such a dishevelled, overweight man, it must have been his way with words

Excellent point, but maybe talent, like power, is a great aphrodisiac. I think Betjeman's poetry is superb, much under-rated. Imagine if he was muttering it newly-minted into yr ear, might you not forgive an unironed shirt and a few extra pounds round his middle? smile

And he might always write a total classic like "Joan Hunter Dunn" in yr memory! Irresistible I'd say. Certainly the incredibly beautiful woman Margie Geddes in that D Telegraph article thought so!

crimson Fri 19-Oct-12 17:13:19

One of the first loves of my life was a journalist/poet. I asked him to write me a poem; he thought about it for ages and wrote 'twinkle, twinkle, little star....'. His journalism turned out to be writing obituaries for a local newspaper in Launceston.

isthisallthereis Sat 20-Oct-12 08:51:49

That sounds like the fuzzy end of the lollipop crimson.

Did he "like a drink" as well, that'd be a Full House! Bl**dy journalists.

annodomini Sat 20-Oct-12 09:25:19

isthis -one of my favourite quotes from one of my favourite films! Never heard anyone else using it. wink

isthisallthereis Sat 20-Oct-12 09:31:10

Well I have! And it's a wonderful movie.

Except I once sat my younger son down to watch it on the telly, he was, I guess, 14/15 yrs old. He must have been too young for it. He didn't laugh at all and afterwards said he "didn't see the point".

Oh dear, youth is wasted on the young! We're a long way from public sculpture in Ilfracombe.

annodomini Sat 20-Oct-12 09:37:17

More entertaining than Damien Hirst, however.