Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Classical composers. Who for you are the best?

(147 Posts)
isthisallthereis Fri 19-Oct-12 13:18:12

OK this is tough.

I love classical music (also other music) and the SO and I much enjoy going to concerts.

This is an entirely shallow and pointless exercise (probably!) but who are your top five composers? Yes, I'm suggesting an entirely arbitrary cap at 5. Just to make it interesting!

Who's work would you always make an effort to go and hear??

Here goes, (in no particular order):

Shostakovich
Dvorak
Jana?ek
Haydn
Tippett

I found that very, very difficult! confused I could easily put up a second five, but that's not the point. smile

On the other side of the coin, I rarely enjoy Brahms!

Over to you.

isthisallthereis Thu 13-Dec-12 22:41:50

Can you remember what pieces the Tallis Scholars performed last night?

Maniac Fri 14-Dec-12 22:30:22

I sent reply but it's disappeared.Off to bed .more tomorrow.

jeni Fri 14-Dec-12 23:20:49

Palestrina miss ave Maria

Tallis te drum 'for meanies'

Byrd Magnificat

Byrd lullaby

Hieronynymus Praetorius magnificat

jeni Fri 14-Dec-12 23:22:34

They also sang an encore which maniac knows!

isthisallthereis Sat 15-Dec-12 02:57:45

The Palestrina alone would have thrilled me! I don't know Praetorius, will investigate .....

isthisallthereis Sat 15-Dec-12 03:08:15

Wow - look what I've found grin:

youtu.be/a6Iot26q11s

Eighty minutes of the Tallis Scholars in a gorgeous location! The sound is wonderful too, not like what's often on YouTube.

Starts with Palestrina, then Aavo Part. gringringringringrin

isthisallthereis Sat 15-Dec-12 03:40:07

The Allegri Miserere is truly beautiful starting at 32 mins in (on the Tallis Scholars concert two posts above!)

Time I was asleep! hmm

Maniac Sat 15-Dec-12 07:48:58

Last night's message has now re-appeared!!

isthis sorry I didn't get a programme -deliberately so that I could experience the pure sound.I believe their Christmas programme is on their website.jeni may have a programme.
The last encore was 'Es ist ein ros entsprungen'
(A Great and Mighty Wonder) is an English version I have sung.

The evening was magical.Thanks for youtube link -brings it all back.
I've ordered CD of their Christmas music from Gimmel.

Butty Sat 15-Dec-12 08:04:22

Allegri Miserere - Beautiful.

crimson Sat 15-Dec-12 16:17:10

Checked it out on utube; beautiful. Also looked to see where they were performing..seem to travel all over the world [but not Derby sad]. Going to look out for their Christmas music. Also must buy my Pilgrimage to Santiago by Phil Pickett..have it on tape but must get it on cd.

Goose Thu 17-Jan-13 22:10:57

Tchaikovsky - he's piano concerto's take me to another planet..

Goose Thu 17-Jan-13 22:11:34

(ooops, sorry, got carried away there, I should have said 'his' :-(

annodomini Thu 17-Jan-13 22:25:43

Love his violin concerto, Goose - the violin speaks to me. Same goes for Mendelssohn's and Bruch's.

cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 23:21:30

what exactly does it tell you when it speaks to you anno and have you gone to speak to a Doctor about this smile

gracesmum Thu 17-Jan-13 23:29:13

I think the Bruch is out of this world. There was a radio programme a few weeks ago about why music affects us (well, most of us) the way it does. Is it the harmonies, the range of expression? I wish I could remember what conclusion they came to! (typical) Did anybody hear it? Who does it soothe the savage breast - or indeed inflame passions?

annodomini Thu 17-Jan-13 23:42:00

I wish I had heard that gracesmum. Can you remember the programme's name? Might get it in i-player. Dvorak's cello concerto is possibly my favourite concerto of all.

Maniac Fri 18-Jan-13 14:41:14

Aah Yes Bruch!.I still have a tape of his violin concerto played by Nigel Kennedy recorded in 1987.Still heart rending.Must replace with a CD.
Mendelssohn violin concerto on Side Two.

Deedaa Sun 20-Jan-13 21:22:10

Years ago Nigel Kennedy played the Elgar concerto in Truro cathedral. The first note on the violin just sang across the cathedral and I can still remember how the hairs rose on the back of my neck! Magic!

lillian Thu 24-Jan-13 15:36:02

i asked recently if any of gransnet followers found the classical music used for tv commercials and documentries to be a bit of a torment as it can be so beautiful and so lovely and yet not know what the music is called,well i had some luck as i passed by ..hmv...i noticed how busy they were with people getting bargains as they were due to close down,i went in to look at the classical cd's and within minutes i found.... FM Classics..."classics used for commercials" such as Hovis, car commercials etc.....wonderful now i know what symphonies the music is taken from....Lillian

lillian Thu 24-Jan-13 15:53:12

anyone interested in classical music there is an interesting site on the internet called " SINFINI cutting through the classics"lots to look at and listen to i thought it was great. Lillian

Ariadne Thu 24-Jan-13 16:30:15

Bach first above all.
Chopin (my mother was an excellent pianist and I was brought up with etudes in the background)
Dvorak
Some Verdi
Scarlatti
Tchaikovsky

Memories - imagine learning the viola, as I did, with someone (mother) in the other room who had perfect pitch!