Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Embroidering on knitting

(10 Posts)
storynanny Thu 22-Nov-12 20:54:49

Ok so, I've nearly finished knitting red balaclava for a 2 year old which is going to double up as a Spider-Man hat! Before I sew it up I want to embroider a web in blue yarn over the knitted piece. What would be the best way/stitch to use?
Thanks in anticipation

Stansgran Thu 22-Nov-12 21:41:46

chain stitch looks good-a loopy thread stitch might catch and pull or perhaps stem stitch

Stansgran Fri 23-Nov-12 21:35:12

Also on the garnstudio.com website (interiors) there is a crochet spider's web+spider-very effective for 2 year old

storynanny Sat 24-Nov-12 00:49:49

Thanks very much, have gone with the chain stitch, looks very effective!

MargaretX Sat 24-Nov-12 11:01:20

This a thread for me... I am knitting a plain beige cardigan for my 9 yr old GD(her choice) and the plan is to embroider something on it. In the wool shop there were jackets with embroidered flowers on. Anybody know where
I can get ideas from?
Her mother seems to favour crocheted flowers which are sold on-line but I think they may be bit stiff.

storynanny Sat 24-Nov-12 13:00:02

Like stansgran says, I think crochet loops might get caught. Although if you crotchet 3d type corsages they would look very effective and highly individual. there are probably lots of free flower patterns online , just google free crochet/knitted flowers or corsage patterns. If you click google images you will be able to see loads of results and perhaps she could choose her own. Chain stitch on top of stocking stitch would look good also

artygran Sat 24-Nov-12 13:16:32

I did this earlier this year on a sweater I knitted for my grandson. He wanted a Star Wars storm trooper's helmet on it! AARgh! I used a system called swiss darning, which is very easy to do and, if carefully done, looks just like the design is knitted on, as you are overlaying and imitating the knitted stitch. The finished result looked good on the top, but there were too many loose ends on the back and I didn't know what to do with them. It would probably be very good for embroidering a web design as you wouldn't end up with all the loose ends I had. Do have a look at it on the internet - it is very effective. (He still hasn't worn the bloomin' sweater though!)

Stansgran Mon 26-Nov-12 18:15:33

Swiss darning always looks good on stocking stitch and looks as though you've knitted a pattern.I bookmark Coats sewing -their free patterns are excellent-also worth downloading straight away as they up date and something you thought you might do next week has disappeared when you look again

storynanny Tue 27-Nov-12 20:12:28

If you type Debbie bliss baby cashmerino on eBay, there are lots of beautiful ready made flowers to buy.
Just finished my spiderman balaclava, used a new yarn for me King Cole smooth, lovely to knit with and soft against a toddlers face. Will definitely use it again.

Mishap Tue 27-Nov-12 21:53:23

I have used the Swiss darning technique on stocking stitch and it really does look knitted in and it is very secure and does not snag. And you can do your own design - photocopy or print out from the net the design you want (I did Little Mermaid) onto a piece of graph paper and treat each square as a stitch so you know which colour to put in each space. It really isn't hard and wonderfully effective. The only thing you need to be careful is not to pull the stitches too tight or it will mis-shape the garment and allow the background colour to be seen.