Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

classical music

(23 Posts)
annodomini Fri 15-Feb-13 11:20:46

Why do some pieces stick in the memory? The first classical piece I remember from when I was very small is the final movement of Beethoven's Violin Concerto. Don't know why, but it's still there almost 70 years later.

lillian Fri 15-Feb-13 10:32:17

janeainsworth yes i agree with your choice, there are so many pieces of music used for tv and radio pragrammes which are beautiful,i am a great fan of listening to background music on tv while everyone else is absorbed in the dialogue i am straining to hear the music.how those people know what music to choose to suit which programme,atmosphere music for every occassion it is an amazing skill....i have found a wonderful web site for classical music called SINFINIMUSIC.com......you can search and learn about every composer listen to there music and buy the CDs if you want to.it is great for beginners wanting to learn about classical music....Lillian

janeainsworth Thu 14-Feb-13 16:29:37

Lillian the very first piece of music that I became aware of was the piece which was used at the end of 'Listen with Mother'.
I still love it - it's 'Berceuse' from the Dolly Suite by Faure.
Another favourite is Variations on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, by Vaughan Williams. It seems to me the essence of Englishness.

lillian Thu 14-Feb-13 16:11:17

Hi Gagagran i have recently bought a Shostakovitch cd and i love his music,it started with my buying one of his cd.s just to get a piece of music which makes me drool GADSFLY romantic, it is so beautiful,i enjoyed the rest of the cd and then went into CLASSIC FM on th internet and found so much information and and music by Shostacovitch. for people who enjoy classical music it is a wonderful web site with samples of the music to listen to......Lillian

Gagagran Sat 02-Feb-13 16:47:22

Hi Lillian (my late Mum was called Lilian - such a pretty name) Have you tried Waltz 2 by Shostakovitch? It's lovely and one of my favourites. Andre Rieu had a huge hit with it some years ago. I'd be interested to know what you think. sunshine

lillian Sat 02-Feb-13 16:36:36

recently i heard a beautiful piece of music and hurried into the room where it was playing on the radio, i tried to catch what the music was called, i just managed to hear the presenter say Gadsby by Shostacovitch...i typed in the information on Amazon in CDs and it came up as... not known... but try "Romance" THE GADFLY.....i then went on utube put in my information found a sample to listen to and there it was.......wonderful computer.....how did i live without it.i immediately ordered my CD from Amazon it arrived in 3 days and i sat in awe listening to this beautiful music...how would i have ever found this music so quick without a computer....i also discovered how much i enjoyed other music by Shostacovitch.my classical knowledge of music is gradually growing.lillian.

Elegran Sun 27-Jan-13 14:20:40

In 1993 I bought a CD of "Classic Commercials" which has 20 classical themes that were made into commercials - the Hamlet one, the Dulux dog, Hovis, and so on, with a bit about each piece of music and composer.

That is not up to date, but a quick look on Amazon showed that it is still on sale (photo of Dulux dog on cover) , and there are also more recent CDs available on the same lines.

MercedesYang Sun 27-Jan-13 14:02:36

Lillian, i have the same doubt as you ,some of my friends told me to settle this problem by insisting learning and learning some classic music knowledge that I can gugure out what circle a song belongs to at first sight when hearing about it, and even some software is used to settle that problem, I am sure you can try it as well.

Anne58 Sat 19-Jan-13 20:59:05

Just knew that my attempt would fail!

lillian Sat 19-Jan-13 17:10:06

thanks for all your replies, i will try Youtube but if i get stuck i will name the advert that has the great music and all you experts can advise me,i know car adverts use the classics, i found Classic FM online and have been searching that and educated myself at the same time....Lillian

Anne58 Fri 18-Jan-13 23:37:32

I think lillian that if you weren't able to find it on line, then you would need to name the advert. It could be a bit tricky sort of trying to type "dum de dee de dum de dee, dum de dee de dee dah (My attempt at Dance of the Knights grin )

POGS Fri 18-Jan-13 23:15:35

My husband googles the music played on a T.V. show, frequently. He seems to find it easy, I have never tried.

Movedalot Fri 18-Jan-13 09:56:05

No, please don't Flick grin I like it but not all the time in snatches.

FlicketyB Thu 17-Jan-13 21:32:30

Not to mention Vivaldi, The Seasons

Mishap Thu 17-Jan-13 19:44:29

The Youtube idea is the best I think - we always turn the TV down during the adverts, so even if I knew what the music was I would be no help at all!!

Ella46 Thu 17-Jan-13 18:51:27

If you look on Youtube, it usually tells you what the music is (I think)

Movedalot Thu 17-Jan-13 17:59:51

Definitely the Prokofiev. Don't think The apprentice though smile

Apart from Tchaikovsky, Carmina Burana gets used a lot too.

absent Thu 17-Jan-13 17:52:40

No idea about the Swan Lake, but I rarely watch television and don't like Tchaikovksy.

absent Thu 17-Jan-13 17:51:18

Movedalot I think you're talking about the Prokoviev music which was once called Tybalt's walk – so strutting, don't you think? Not necessarily inappropriate – Tybalt was very aggressive and the fight with Romeo was to the death. Tybalt was fired – big time – but then so was Romeo.

Ariadne Thu 17-Jan-13 17:45:38

Always worth Googling!

merlotgran Thu 17-Jan-13 17:44:05

You could give it a go, lillian but first we'd have to watch the advert!

Movedalot Thu 17-Jan-13 17:43:57

I find it very strange when a piece of ballet music that I know well is used totally inappropriatly on the television. I think it was The Apprentice which used the fight scene from Romeo and Juliet. Lately we seem to have had a lot of inapproriate Swan Lake!

lillian Thu 17-Jan-13 17:41:31

i love most classical music and so much is used in tv commercials and films also background music for documentories.and so ofton i think how beautiful that music is if only i knew what it was called i could buy it on a cd.is it possible by starting this site that any gransnet experts in classical music could reply with helpful answers to this querie. for myself and i am sure many others....for example if i asked what the music was in a certain advert and named it then the experts amongst us could reply....Lillian