Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Children's costumes for World Book Day

(39 Posts)
sofasogood Thu 28-Feb-13 20:15:38

Don't know if I'm on quite the forum for this question, but I'm in a panic because my daughter has asked me to make a costume for the 6 year-old GD for World Book Day next week. They have to go into school dressed as a character, apparently, and there's a prize. My daughter doesn't really care about this - she just doesn't want to have to do it herself! Granddaughter isn't bothered but may well be by the time the day comes around. Anybody done this or alternatively, got any ideas? I can use a sewing machine but I'm stumped about this. Ideas please?

vegasmags Thu 28-Feb-13 20:35:49

If you google World Book Day characters, you will find numerous ideas, ranging from the simple to the elaborate. There's no need to go overboard, although there are always those who like to!

LullyDully Thu 28-Feb-13 20:47:02

Where's Wally is easy with red stripes blue trousers and glasses.
Gruffalo dress in brown and make a mask printed on line.
Fairies and princesses usually abound or pirates.
Harry potter ot Hermoine quite easy too.

As long as the child is happy that's all that matters, can be overdone. It should be fun remember not a chore. Good luck

LullyDully Thu 28-Feb-13 21:03:29

Angelina Ballerina? ballet dress and mousy head thing.Witch in room on a Broom ...dead easy.

ninathenana Thu 28-Feb-13 22:38:11

DD had long blonde hair as a child and luckily possessed a blue dress. So white sheet a bit of sewing became an apron. Add hair band.

Alice in Wonderland smile

Dressed her brother as playing card. Two large sheets of cardboard painted. Joined over the shoulder with tape. Simple.

susieb755 Thu 28-Feb-13 22:40:28

My son won his, dressed like you would for a nativity shepherd, and carrying a first aid box - Good Samaritan from the Bible......

Deedaa Thu 28-Feb-13 23:03:24

My grandson has just informed us he is going to go as Aslan (Daddy's been reading the Narnia books with him) I foresee a busy weekend for Mummy smile

Gorki Fri 01-Mar-13 09:48:17

We are in the same position with 5 year old twins. My daughter has been scouring the charity shops. The girl is easy -a princess as somebody mentioned but we are struggling with ideas for the boy.

Lilygran Fri 01-Mar-13 10:43:41

Just an idea for a boy - hoods with ears and face paint? Would work even for Aslan or the Tiger who came to Tea. Most of the pattern firms sell patterns for hoods and there are probably some on the web. There are patterns for animal outfits if you have time and the result can be used as a onesie as well as for dressing-up. My DS won a prize once dressed as a purple mouse. His choice of colour.

kittylester Fri 01-Mar-13 10:48:46

DGS1 is having a pirate birthday party so I expect there will be lots of pirates in one form or another in his class. smile

annodomini Fri 01-Mar-13 11:26:17

One of my DSs was Dr Who last year with checked shirt and bow tie. Not difficult. However, on another occasion he was a Dalek. Luckily his mum has discovered a creative streak.

Humbertbear Fri 01-Mar-13 11:33:12

My grand- children's school has simplified the matter by telling everyone to go as princes and princesses. however the 4 year old also had pirates' day today.

LullyDully Fri 01-Mar-13 12:33:47

Remember it is World Book Day not World Telly day.smile

LullyDully Fri 01-Mar-13 12:36:58

I also think the lure of a prize takes away from the meaning a bit. A six year old just loves to dress up however simply. Just keep that in mind and you won't have any sleepless nights{knights}

nonnasusie Fri 01-Mar-13 12:55:41

My DD took part in that about 30 years ago!! She was Black Beauty!! Mask with ears, black leotard and tights and a tail!!

Gorki Fri 01-Mar-13 13:55:26

Some good ideas here.Many thanks.

LullyDully Fri 01-Mar-13 14:09:23

Please tell us what you eventually decided.

Gorki Fri 01-Mar-13 14:48:23

Will do.I'm not sure even what day it is and how long we've got to ponder it.

ninathenana Fri 01-Mar-13 16:11:47

Simple idea for a boy.....dark jacket n trousers white shirt with lace added bow tie on elastic =James Bond

Deedaa Sat 02-Mar-13 17:57:30

Further to my previous comment I have just been dragooned into helping
with the Aslan costume - I'm the one with the sewing machine! Looks like a busy weekend for Granny too.

seasider Sat 02-Mar-13 22:37:56

Dennis the Menace is quite easy for boys if you can get a stripey sweatshirt.

HildaW Sun 03-Mar-13 18:08:52

Ragged clothing and a small wooden bowl - Oliver Twist.
Fur fabric 'loin cloth' - Stig of the dump
1940's style clothing i.e. short trousers fro boys and cardigans and skirts for girls plus brown cardboard gas mask boxes and luggage labels with names on pinned to clothing - the children from Lion, Witch and Wardrobe.
Cat mask, black leotard or black tee shirt and leggings plus tail and wellington boots - Puss in Boots.
Ragged 'bridemaid' style dress with sooty marks and a bit of black face paint or dark eye shadow on face - Cinderella

nanaej Sun 03-Mar-13 18:23:09

I found it a bit depressing as a person working in school that so many children came as superheroes! As someone has said it is world book day and tere are so many loely books for kids nowadays! My DGD1 went as Percy the park keeper one year then Angelina Ballerina and this year is going as a mouse from brambly hedge stories! I have seen boys dressed as Bottomly Potts (dalmation from the Hairy McClary stories), dragons, captain Hook, Wally from Where's Wally, Rainbow fish, cat in the hat, tigger..so many ideas!

Deedaa Sun 03-Mar-13 21:06:30

Cheer up nanaej my GS made a super Cat in the Hat last year with a hat from the fancy dress shop and some drawn on whiskers the rest was mainly black clothes , a homemade tail and some gloves. He was very scornful about some of his friends who were just generic knights or pirates instead of actual characters.
The Aslan costume seems to be working. Brown top and trousers with one of those animal hats their all wearing and matching fur fabric made into a poncho and tail.

nanaej Sun 03-Mar-13 22:05:24

Sounds great! Deedaa