Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Fair Isle effect wool

(18 Posts)
Bez Sun 24-Mar-13 17:24:39

I have only used the fair isle type wool making socks and there the patterns are consistent and varied - the early wool I bought had a wider range of patterns than the last few. I have looked in vain to find a sock pattern where you turn the heel the same as I remember my mother doing but have only been able to find what I would describe as the square variety - any ideas - I have looked online as well as in sock books etc. Hoping here that someone took more notice when their mum was turning the heel than I did and knows the secret!!

Mishap Sun 24-Mar-13 16:56:59

It looks to me as if the key is in the garment being knitted in fairlry "square" shapes. My GS has a jumper that someone kinitted for him and it looks passably like fairisle in the main part of the body, but as soon as you start decreasing the pattern goes AWOL. It is a bit like variegated wool that creates stripes which are narrower on large expanses and wider on for instance the sleeves.

I crochet jumpers for the children using plain rectangles and slash neck - I am hoping that fair isle effect wool and a tight stitch (like DC) will do the business - I will wait and see!!

Grannyknot Sun 24-Mar-13 16:55:10

Bez wink we must be!

Grannyknot Sun 24-Mar-13 16:53:39

Thanks Maniac. Here is the pattern, sorry there isn't a pic but they are knitted flat (apart from the thumb which is completed seperately) and then sown up. I am not a very experienced knitter but I found them easy:

FLIP TOP MITTS

MATERIALS
50gm ball DK yarn
Pair size 4mm needles [old size 8]
Pair size 5mm needles [old size 6]

SIZE
Pattern as set fits average lady’s hand
For larger or smaller sizes use different weights of yarn and appropriate needles

METHOD
Cast on 36 stitches
Work 16 rows rib in smaller needles

Change to larger needles
1st row – Knit to end
2nd row – Purl to end
3rd row –Knit 17, inc. once in next 2 stitches, knit 17
4th row – Purl to end
5th row – Knit 17, inc. once in next stitch,knit 2, inc. once in next stitch, knit 17
6th row – Purl to end
7th row – Knit 17, inc. once in next stitch,knit 4, inc. once in next stitch, knit 17
8th row – Purl to end
9th row – Knit 17, inc. once in next stitch,knit 6, inc. once in next stitch, knit 17
10th row – Purl to end
11th row – Knit 17, inc. once in next stitch,knit 8, inc. once in next stitch, knit 17
12th row – Purl to end

The Thumb

13th row - Knit 29 turn
12th row – Purl 12, turn
Work 14 rows stocking stitch on these 12 stitches
Shape top of thumb
Next row – (K2tog) 6 times
Sew up thumb seam

Continue main part – LEFT HAND

Rejoin wool to end of 13th row
Pick up and knit 2 stitches from base of thumb, knit to end
Beginning with a purl row work 9 rows in stocking stitch
Next row Rib 18, Knit to end
Next row Purl 18 rib to end
Repeat last 2 rows once
Next row Cast off 18, break yarn and leave the remaining 18 stitches on a spare needle
Begin flip top
Cast on 18 stitches and work 6 rows in rib
7th row Knit across these 18 stitches and continue across the 18 stitches on the spare needle
Work 7 rows in stocking stitch
Shape top of mitten

1st row - K2, sl1, k1, psso, K10, K2tog, K4, sl1, k1, psso, K10, K2tog, K2
2nd and every alt row- Purl to end
3rd row - K2, sl1, k1, psso, K8, K2tog, K4, sl1, k1, psso, K8, K2tog, K2
5th row - K2, sl1, k1, psso, K6, K2tog, K4, sl1, k1, psso, K6, K2tog, K2
7th row - K2, sl1,k4, psso, K1, K2tog, K4, sl1, k1, psso, k4, K2tog, K2
8th row- Purl to end
Cast off

Continue main part – RIGHT HAND

Rejoin wool to end of 13th row
Pick up and knit 2 stitches from base of thumb, knit to end
Beginning with a purl row work 9 rows in stocking stitch
Next row Knit 18, Rib to end
Next row Rib18, Purl to end
Repeat last 2 rows once
Next row Knit 18, Cast off 18, break yarn and leave the remaining 18 stitches on a spare needle
Begin flip top
Cast on 18 stitches and work 6 rows in rib
7th row Purl across these 18 stitches and continue across the 18 stitches on the spare needle
Work 6 rows in stocking stitch
Shape top of mitten

1st row - K2, sl1, k1, psso, K10, K2tog, K4, sl1, k1, psso, K10, K2tog, K2
2nd and every alt row- Purl to end
3rd row - K2, sl1, k1, psso, K8, K2tog, K4, sl1, k1, psso, K8, K2tog, K2
5th row - K2, sl1, k1, psso, K6, K2tog, K4, sl1, k1, psso, K6, K2tog, K2
7th row - K2, sl1,k4, psso, K1, K2tog, K4, sl1, k1, psso, k4, K2tog, K2
8th row- Purl to end
Cast off

Join top and side seams of flip top as far as top of ribbing.
Overlap the flip top ribbing over the palm ribbing and continue side seam taking in 3 layers including both sets of ribbing.
Attach a button loop to the top of the mitten and sew a corresponding button on the back of of the mitten.

Maniac Sun 24-Mar-13 16:19:47

grannyknot

Try googlingregia socks
Got it all up on my screen but not sure how to transmit.

I would like the fit/flop mitten pattern.They are very useful -especially for gardeners.
Happy knitting

Bez Sun 24-Mar-13 16:19:37

grannyknot I must be on the same wavelength as you as had understood perfectly your comment about the mittens! grin

Grannyknot Sun 24-Mar-13 15:55:22

Thanks Maniac! I'm losing it, I realised my post about the Flip Top Mittens seems totally random unless I add that I knitted them with Fair Isle wool.

Maniac Sun 24-Mar-13 15:53:02

Grannyknot
I got the leaflet (Regia yarns) from the wool shop.I'll try to find it and post the details.

NfkDumpling Sat 23-Mar-13 20:33:36

Tanith. I think your plan putting on the yoke will work very well. On a poncho the pattern would change with the length of row.

Grannyknot Sat 23-Mar-13 17:04:28

I knitted a vintage pattern of Flip Top Mittens - so you can get your fingers out - and they came out very pretty. Also immensely popular when I make them for family members.

Maniac are your boot socks perhaps a free pattern online?

Maniac Sat 23-Mar-13 10:50:43

Boot socks in Fair Isle effect wool knitted by me are very popular with all my family.Haven't tried crochet.There's a project for this cold wkend!

tanith Fri 22-Mar-13 21:27:22

Thanks for that NfkDumpling , I was thinking about knitting a poncho for my 8yr old granddaughter but I did wonder if the Fair Isle would show up so well on a bigger size.
I am going to try knitting a yoke down baby jacket with the yoke in the Fair Isle and the rest plain, thought that might show up the Fair Isle pattern nicely.

NfkDumpling Fri 22-Mar-13 21:19:31

Butting in - I've knitted several things with fair isle effect, haven't tried crochet, and just want to add that I've found it works best on small sizes. When I tried it on a generous size 16/18 (me) it didn't work as well. A nice effect, but not very fair isley.

tanith Fri 22-Mar-13 21:12:44

You are welcome, I used to crochet more but I've tended towards knitting again lately. There are some lovely colours they also do a Baby Fair Isle effect DK , but I prefer the ordinary Fair Isle effect I think the colours are nicer.. I knitted some fab little boots to match a beanie hat and cardy

Maybe post a pic when you complete..

Mishap Fri 22-Mar-13 20:11:12

Thank you for that tanith. Looking at the photos, it does seem that the fair isle effect is better where DC is used. I was going to try it out and just make up a pattern.

I think the reason it works so well with knitting stocking stitch is that the stitch pattern is unobtrusive and lets the fair isle effect predominate. Some of the crochet patterns are a bit too busy for that wool. I am dying to give it a try.

I much prefer to crochet than knit.

tanith Fri 22-Mar-13 19:53:20

Sorry here is the link

www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/sirdar-snuggly-crofter-baby-fair-isle-effect-dk/projects?status=&category=&craft=crochet&color=&photoless=0&search=

tanith Fri 22-Mar-13 19:52:28

Haven't crocheted with it but I've just finished knitting a baby cardy with it.. I love the effect . I went out today and bought another colour for my next project..
I found these crochet projects on Ravelry might give you some ideas

Mishap Fri 22-Mar-13 19:28:04

Has anyone ever crocheted with this and how did it turn out?

You would need a tight pattern - e.g. DC. Anyone tried it?