Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Learning to crochet.

(10 Posts)
baubles Tue 02-Apr-13 21:52:59

YouTube is a truly marvellous thing. Over the last couple of evenings I've learned how to do some basic crochet stitches. So far I've made two 7" squares in double crochet and a granny square. Give me a year and I may just manage a pram rug grin

JessM Tue 02-Apr-13 22:13:52

Got a good book on it called The Happy Hooker. Bit confusing though as americans and uk call the stitches different names.

Mishap Tue 02-Apr-13 22:12:10

Crochet is great - very easy to pick it up and put it down without too much brainpower needing to be engaged. And you cannot really drop stitches as you only ever have one on the go at any time (unlike knitting).

I love it and have made wonderful lace shawls for the GC.

Enjoy!

MissMolly Tue 09-Apr-13 16:52:01

I am also new to crochet and agree that YouTube is great, don't know if you have already found her but there is a lady named Theresa aka Crochet Geek, she is really good.

granjura Tue 09-Apr-13 19:28:02

At least crochet is done the same all over the world. Unlike knitting - I knit the German way - very very different to the UK one, which is a bit similar to the Italian, which is different to the .....

baubles Tue 09-Apr-13 19:39:15

MissMolly I haven't come across her but will look her up, thanks. Granjura I had no idea confused

granjura Tue 09-Apr-13 19:47:07

Basically you Brits (affectionately said) wrap the wool around the needle, we wrap the needle around the wool. We used to have 'arguments' with my mil, she saying the Brits way is better and me t'other way round...

The result is the same, although if using a British pattern, it always knitted a bit wider 'my' method so I had to adjust a bit.

janthea Tue 16-Apr-13 13:17:52

I was taught to crochet by my grandmother when I was a child. When I had children of my own I made them ponchos and pull on hats. When those children had children of their own, I made (you've guessed it!) ponchos and pull on hats.

My younger daughter now wants me to teach her how to crochet. So it's out with the hooks and wool again. grin

Galen Tue 16-Apr-13 13:41:50

Has anyone tried afghan crochet?

elizabethsbarefoot Tue 16-Apr-13 14:06:33

I have it in mind to try afghan crochet one day, at the moment i make granny square blankets,they are amazing colours and look beautiful. I have made three but they have all disapear to the Grand children in Yorkshire. They call them nanny blankets and love them when they are feeling poorly or cold. I look at this site for ideas www.attic24.typepad.com my blankets are like hers. I love making the ripple blankets thay are easy and grow quick.