Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

World Wide Knit in Public Day

(11 Posts)
LullyDully Fri 03-May-13 16:50:30

I am lousy at knitting sorry.

MiceElf Fri 03-May-13 16:20:42

Eloethan, I sympathise. We were supposed to knit a pair socks on four needles. Then it had to inspected by Sister Mary Immaculata before we could turn the heel. I ended up, after a whole year, with a grubby tube of decreasing circumference, felted with tears of frustration. And zero marks for the knitting bit of the needlework exam. Never touched a knitting needle since.

Bags Fri 03-May-13 16:04:48

A friend of mine who worked as a child-minder in her own home was once asked what she was doing when she was knitting. The child who asked was eight and had never seen anyone knitting!!

Bags Fri 03-May-13 16:02:27

I took my knitting to the last parents' evening I went to at Minibags's school because there were long gaps between some of the appointments she's made for me. Sat in the main hall between times and did my knitting.

Next day she got: "Your mum brought her knitting! shock blush"

[evil mother chuckle]

DD1 knits everywhere, though I expect she has fewer chances now there is GS2 as well as 1.

Grannyknot Fri 03-May-13 15:05:52

Jess that's lovely. I took some home baked biscuits in to work the other day and a young Kiwi colleague said "Oh, these are proper Nana cookies" smile

JessM Fri 03-May-13 13:59:42

Ds1 said about an hour ago, on observing me crocheting a mitten "You look like a proper nana with your knitting" hmm

Eloethan Fri 03-May-13 13:03:26

Count me out!

I have horrible memories of a junior school in Wembley where we had knitting sessions which the headmistress, Miss Sharland, presided over (needless to say the boys weren't included). I spent the whole time trying to make a scarf, dropping stitches, starting again, dropping more stitches, and so on. Fortunately Miss S was a kindly lady and surprisingly didn't lose patience with my ineptitude - but it was very embarrassing. I don't understand why I was so useless - my mum was a brilliant knitter.

janeainsworth Fri 03-May-13 09:04:08

I'm on the train going to London for a meeting and actually considered bringing my knitting grin
Wish I had now! grin

Grannyknot Fri 03-May-13 08:48:48

I must confess I didn't look at the website properly, I suppose we could just knit in public anyway! I sat in the back row of a conference the other day and quietly pulled out my (small) knitting project. I got one or two funny looks but I was careful not to let the needles click - and guess what, I listened better! I got a few smiles too.

Notso Thu 02-May-13 22:36:42

I've just registered for this....there don't appear to be any KIP events at all in the UK.

Grannyknot Thu 02-May-13 21:53:05

Let's do it smile www.wwkipday.com/