Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

glitter yarn

(5 Posts)
Rangimarie Sat 18-May-13 11:54:42

Thank you for your replies. Yes, I had wondered about washing it, but I am scared I will ruin the shawl, I had never made anything like it before, it was quite a challenge. My husband has done a bit of research and thinks the wool has 'nickel silver' in it and the green is the oxidation of the copper.

I will wear it a bit and see what happens!

Thank you again.

janerowena Sat 18-May-13 11:09:48

My mother recently gave me some quite scary looking black and silver ribbon-type yarn, I think I shall follow my own advice before deciding how to use it. My first thought was to knit my own robot, when I saw it.

janerowena Sat 18-May-13 11:08:14

I wonder if you could try washing it by hand, and see what happens to the water? Maybe whatever is causing the problem will be washed out of the yarn.

Mishap Fri 17-May-13 19:31:08

I am allergic to nickel and I cannot wear scarves with metallic thread without coming out in a rash - it definitely does not turn me green!!

Rangimarie Fri 17-May-13 17:41:27

I have been using a glitter yarn to crochet a shawl. The first ball was fine, the second one has turned my fingers green!! It is almost finished; I have only the neck to do and now I am worried that if I wear it I will have some reaction.

Any suggestions?