Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Old knitting pattern

(8 Posts)
Kiwibird Wed 29-May-13 09:08:12

I want to knit a jumper for my dh and have found a pattern, just an ordinary jumper, round neck, dropped shoulders, stocking stitch with stripes. The pattern is old, maybe 20 years, but is in no way old-fashioned. I wouldn't knit it if it was! But the wool it's made of doesn't exist any more. It's Crucci brand, and called Cezanne. My question is, can I go by the size of the needles on the pattern and work out which ply wool to buy from them? They are 4.50 and 5.50 (No's 7 and 5). Would that be for a double knitting ply? Can any of you knitting enthusiasts help me? Many thanks.

Bags Wed 29-May-13 09:11:38

Double knitting yarn is usually knitted on size 4mm needles. I would guess that the yarn in the pattern is slightly thicker than DK. What is the tension given on the pattern, and over what kind of stitch? (stocking stitch is best for judging yarn thickness).

Kiwibird Wed 29-May-13 09:23:19

Hello Bags. Thanks for your reply. The tension is 8 sts, 10 rows on No. 5 needles over stocking stitch.

Bags Wed 29-May-13 09:30:21

Just checked on Ravelry and it looks as if what you need is what is called "Worsted Weight" yarn. This is the American equivalent of DK I think, but it is slightly thicker than UK DK. If you google Worsted Weight Yarns you might find something helpful. Good luck.

Bags Wed 29-May-13 09:31:31

Crossed posts, kiwi! I'll just go back to Ravelry and look at the tensions it give for worsted weight....

Back in a tick.

Bags Wed 29-May-13 09:36:41

Worsted weight yarns seem to give a tension of 5 stitches per inch on 5.5mm needles. So I guess that's about 20 to four inches.

DK is usually given as about 22 stitches per four inches on 4mm needles.

Have you thought of joining Ravelry yourself, kiwi? I don't use it much but my daughter swears by it for helpful hints and lovely ideas.

Just google ravelry.com

Bags Wed 29-May-13 09:38:31

This reply came to my query: "Hard to say. My guess would be an Aran weight. Best thing would be to knit a couple of stocking stitch swatches on those needles and go from there."

You might have to play around a bit with some yarn samples.

Kiwibird Wed 29-May-13 10:54:17

I hadn't heard of Ravelry but will look it up. I phoned a knitting wool specialty shop the other day but the shop assistant was so disinterested and offhand. I think knitting a swatch on the needles the pattern states would be a very good idea. I don't post things on this forum very often but am pleased I did tonight. Thank you very much Bags for looking into it for me. Kiwibird