Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Can I pick your brains please?

(10 Posts)
Brendawymms Fri 30-Aug-13 21:22:54

Double knitting is also called 8 ply and Aran is 10ply. Two test squares would be the best to see what works size wise. 4.5cm knitting needles would work best I think. Can you compare the length of the suggested double knitting wool to the length per ball of the Aran and see what the difference is and work out how much yarn and therefore how many balls. It may work out that the number of stitches for a 44Dk will be very similar to the number needed for a 48 Aran.
Best of luck.

Bez Fri 30-Aug-13 16:13:13

It would probably come out a lot larger using Arran wool - you will need to do a test square and measure it and compare with what the pattern should tell you the DK and needle size should give .....,.if you see what I mean!
Good luck - is it unwashed Arran - that makes your hands beautifully soft while you are knitting.

bootie41 Fri 30-Aug-13 15:25:04

I need help my first time on knitting forum, hello to you all.
I have a pattern for men's dk 44in chest can I change it to aran wool and 48 in chest as it is a great pattern

Brendawymms Thu 01-Aug-13 20:53:52

What is the thickness of your yarn.? Double knitting is two four plays etc so it would depend. I often use two yarns together to get particular effects and can look great.
On a simple level how about knitting granny squares and make into a little blanket with alternate yarns. There are charities who love baby blankets to send out to needy people.

mrsmopp Thu 01-Aug-13 12:54:50

Oh Flick, good idea,I like that & could easily do it.
Just wanted to get away from stripes if poss and your idea would definitely work, cheers.

FlicketyB Thu 01-Aug-13 07:37:59

Difficult not to do stripes but how about edge of a hat in one colour and central part in other, bobbly edge, smooth centre.

Stansgran Wed 31-Jul-13 21:02:30

Could you knit bomb somewhere ?

glammanana Wed 31-Jul-13 20:38:19

Battersea dogs home have a pattern on their site for squares to be knitted for their Foster dogs to go into their beds when they go to new families it's a sort of comfort blanket which can go with them to a permanent home at a later date, a very worthwhile cause for old balls of wool.

henetha Wed 31-Jul-13 13:09:32

It's years ago since I was a knitting person. But, would twisting them together make it difficult to knit with? It might work though, and would make an interesting scarf. Stripes would be o.k. for a scarf though,
wouldn't it! - (or should it be 'wouldn't they?)

Some charities need baby blankets, so a patchwork pattern might be nice for those.

mrsmopp Wed 31-Jul-13 12:10:28

I have a few balls of wool left over from each of two jackets I have made. They are different shades of the same colour and one lot is a smooth yarn and the other is textured. Neither one is enough to do anything with, but I thought I could combine them to make a hat or scarf that would go with either jacket.
Any ideas how to do this? Trying to avoid stripes if possible, maybe twist them together on bigger needles? Any suggestions welcomed.