Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

allotment

(8 Posts)
ladybird9 Fri 06-Sep-13 17:48:59

hi everyone, have any of you ladies taken on the chore of an allotment, I have just obtained half of an allotment, just to keep active. Would be interested in your comments. I am 'past my sell by date' but have the energy and, thankfully my health to take on this new project, I suppose I am looking for encouragement, is there any out there ??????

Elegran Fri 06-Sep-13 17:54:11

My daughter has one. It is on a steep slope and was very overgrown when she took it on. Getting it into order was hard work - before it was all done she got very busy at work and the children filled a lot of her time, so she received a dreaded letter to say if she did not maintain it she would lose it.

However, a few pounds to a couple of students got the heavy work done, and she is now on top of it. She is very pleased with it.

merlotgran Fri 06-Sep-13 18:09:30

Who has the other half, ladybird9? You've taken it on at the right time of the year though as clearing any weeds and digging the plot over is the first priority.

Some of the other allotment holders should be able to give you advice about the soil and any plants that are not likely to thrive.

There is still time to plant crops for spring and there are some lovely books available to give you inspiration throughout the winter months.

Good Luck. I hope you enjoy your allotment. smile

tanith Fri 06-Sep-13 18:25:24

I'm jealous I'd love one but I'm not able to do the heavy work I've often thought I might find someone to share with as I'd be fine with planting, weeding, picking and eating its just the digging and clearing I couldn't cope with... lucky your.. as merlotgran says your best new friend is the other allotment holders.. at the one down our road they have a society on site run by the allotment holders and they bulk buy everything you might need and share goods and seeds too.. its usually all very friendly unless you let your allotment slip then its woe betide you..lol

tiggypiro Sat 07-Sep-13 09:46:31

Oh Tanith what a pity you don't live near me ! I just LOVE doing all the heavy work - the worse it is the more I like it. My lovely neighbours have a large garden which had been neglected for some time and I have just about cleared all the 'pockets of resistance'. My 'pay' is being able to pick anything I want and also a very valued friendship. I also help in 2 other friends gardens. You can keep the gentle weeding, dead-heading etc just give me my 'brute force and ignorance' fork and I am as happy as a pig in shit - and look like it too sometimes !

annodomini Sat 07-Sep-13 10:01:43

tiggy, if you lived in NE Cheshire, you would be the answer to my prayers! I have a jungle outside. The other day a tiger came prowling through the undergrowth - well, it was next door's cat, but he looked just like a small tiger and the undergrowth speaks for itself.

Nelliemoser Sat 07-Sep-13 10:12:23

tiggy That sounds like a lovely arrangement for all. smile

tanith Sat 07-Sep-13 11:28:43

That sure is a shame tiggy, I'd love to share an allotment and do all the 'nice' gentle stuff... what a lovely arrangement you have..