Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

headache

(9 Posts)
jeanie99 Tue 17-Sep-13 10:46:39

Just wondering if knitting causes headaches.

Since I started knitting some 5 weeks ago (not knitted for years) I have continually had a headache on one side and down the back of my head. I knit everyday as I am trying to make a number of cardies hats boodees for my first grandchild expected in October.

It's not severe and I don't feel I can bother the doc about it but I wake up with it in the morning and it comes on and off during the day.

I am not a person who has headaches and I can't remember when my last headache was before this.

Could it be some sort of eye strain.

Anniebach Tue 17-Sep-13 11:11:40

Jeanie99. One possibility is tension, if you knit for quite length of time then this could affect your neck, try pausing and shrugging your shoulders and turning your head right to left , releasing the knotty muscles , worth a try

janerowena Tue 17-Sep-13 11:18:05

I'd say it's your eyes, you probably need to wear glasses while you knit. A cheap pair of mild reading glasses may fix it. It was how I first discovered that my long sight was getting worse. However, if you can't see using the reading glasses when you try them out you will need to go to an optician. They should act like a magnifying glass, not make things look all blurry (until you look up and away from the knitting).

Iam64 Tue 17-Sep-13 13:06:07

being in a position like one when knitting can get to the neck I think - do some stretching, and also, use bamboo needles which I think are gentler on the shoulders, neck and wrists, as well as the hands which is what they're recommended for

janeainsworth Tue 17-Sep-13 14:07:46

I think you should stop knitting for a week and if your headache persists go straight to the doctor.
I am a bit dubious that a headache caused by bad posture or eyestrain would be there when you woke up in the morning.

kittylester Tue 17-Sep-13 16:39:14

I'd go with it being linked to sitting in a 'tense' position. When I've been tense while volunteering my neck/shoulders are awful for a few days after - quite often with a headache. I try to remember to take nurofen at bedtime and that seems to help. brew

Granny23 Tue 17-Sep-13 17:24:58

I can only knit in short bursts until my arthritic hands seize up, but nonetheless I develop a pain in my right shoulder and neck. Thinking that it was linked to maintaining an elbows bent, hands out posture while knitting, I started squashing a large cushion under my right arm with left elbow resting on the arm of the settee. Result! No more pain and none in my hands if I only do half an hour, then a break to do something else and then another half hour.

I think JaneA is right. The only way to find out if knitting is causing your pain is to give it a rest for a week.

jeanie99 Sat 21-Sep-13 10:44:54

You are right about the strain on my eyes , I wear varifocals but haven't been able to see the stitches clearly so have been looking over the specs and my posture as been awful to say the least.

For the last few days I've had a very bad stiff neck, based on what you all are saying it's definitely the knitting so I am laying off it for a few days to see what happens.

I would never have thought that knitting would cause so many problems.

Thanks everybody for your comments it's very much appreciated.

annodomini Sat 21-Sep-13 11:05:40

jeannie99, it would be a good idea to discuss this with your optometrist when you next go for an eye test and see if he/she could adjust your varifocals to accommodate your knitting. Even adjusting the fit of your glasses might help.