Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

knitting on the tele.

(24 Posts)
penguinpaperback Sat 28-Sep-13 22:13:32

Oh I missed it, must try and catch it again. Just to see the Brandreth collection. smile
Does anyone else use the www.ravelry.com ? It's another great site for patterns and although I don't post I do enjoy reading the forums.
Very enthusiastic and dedicated knitters.

Lancashirelass Sat 28-Sep-13 20:22:56

I settled down expecting to enjoy this program, and stuck it out with growing horror.

Patronising comments, dodgy un-balanced history, silly 'dinky' music, excessive footage of the Prince's golfing jumper, and Brandreth's collection.

Just goes to show that TV doesn't 'get' knitting or knitters.

ElliMary Thu 19-Sep-13 19:57:51

I saw it and learned nothing new but then I knit most of the time. What surprised me was that it was presented as a British institution. Surely not? The whole of Europe have knitted where ever there were sheep or goats to provide wool- Even though they didn't have a crown prince who wore a knitted jumper.
We now knit on one round needle - at least i do - and that came from the continent.
Think of the wonderful patterns and colours from S. America.
I could have produced a more interesting programme than that collection of old newsreels.

FlicketyB Thu 19-Sep-13 19:37:55

DD watched the programme last night and phoned me today to complain bitterly about the institutional sexism in it (I was watching Who Do You Think You Are with Marian Faithful as I went to school with her).

According to her, other programmes in this series and other related ones all had presenters who are experts in their fields and could talk with authority. This programme, she said, only had a voiceover of the faintly patronising kind and dated knitting to the 1920s when royalty were seen wearing a fair isle sweater for golf and then she considered trivialised and patronised women and their knitting.

DD is an accomplished needlewoman, knitter with a deep knowledge about the history and cultural background of home crafts, she cited a whole series of other programmes and exhibitions where modern needlework and knitting craft has been completely ignored. Nowadays needlework and knitting are only acceptable if they are presented in the guise of art.

Did anyone see the programme and can they comment?

Zengran Thu 19-Sep-13 08:44:44

been knitting socks as Christmas presents for a few years now, they laughed at first, but now I get orders for them!!! grin

Zengran Thu 19-Sep-13 08:43:14

My local yarn shop sells sock wool and the pattern comes free with that particular brand, perhaps all shops selling that brand may do the same?

Marelli Wed 18-Sep-13 18:44:34

Brendawymms - you are a fount of information about knitting! I got lovely wool (much cheaper than even Ebay!) from a site you had suggested to me! I'd like to knit some socks, too - so I'll have a look at Garnstudio. smile

Maniac Wed 18-Sep-13 18:38:52

I've been experimenting with knitting tape from old videos which someone suggested on another thread.
I'll try to put a photo on the 'Photo' thread

thatbags Wed 18-Sep-13 18:22:56

Yes, Garnstudio is good, otherwise known as Drops Design. Loads of free patterns. I'm knitting a poncho at the moment from one of theirs.

thatbags Wed 18-Sep-13 18:21:47

kitty, I have similar thoughts whenever I see the thread title! Mine were more about the knitting draped over the telly though – half a sleeve covering the screen to block out someone you don't want to look at!

Sorry, Hunt! blush

Brendawymms Wed 18-Sep-13 17:19:04

Look on Garnstudio web page you will find sock patterns. The patterns are free to download.

Aka Wed 18-Sep-13 14:34:45

I'd like to try knitting socks with 3/4 needles but can't find a pattern. Can anyone help?

Hunt Wed 18-Sep-13 13:49:00

Time was when it was good economy to knit garments. Looked in a craft shop the other day. Window ful of lovely hand-knitted garments. Notice on one,'' you can knit this(rather small) garment fo £79'' I think not!

Hunt Wed 18-Sep-13 13:45:48

Kitty, when I had written that I KNEW some one would say that. I had a smile.

Tegan Wed 18-Sep-13 10:56:36

Not a knitter [always wanted to but never got the hang of it] but looking forward to this programme, but then there's very little on BBC4 that I don't love; even programmes that have a subject matter that doesn't appear interesting are very watchable. When I retire [not long now!] I'm going to spend every night lying on the sofa watching BBC4 and, when I nod off I can watch it when it's repeated at 2 in the morning when it's usually repeated smile.

Ariadne Wed 18-Sep-13 10:54:33

I can, but cannot think of anything that I would wear, or want to give to anyone, that I couldn't buy!

When we were posted to Northern Ireland in the early eighties, I didn't find a job straightaway, so I knitted Aran sweaters for the whole family. Suppose I could do some of that again? But again, I can only think of one person who would wear one.

annodomini Wed 18-Sep-13 10:50:27

kitty grin

kittylester Wed 18-Sep-13 10:41:14

When I see this thread title I'm tempted to say 'Wouldn't a chair be more comfy?' - sorry.

I wish I could knit. sad

betsysgran Wed 18-Sep-13 10:19:10

Thanks when out tonight but will record it.

whenim64 Wed 18-Sep-13 10:16:10

Found it! BBC4 'Fabric of Britain' at 9pm. It's series of 3 programmes.

Anniebach Wed 18-Sep-13 10:10:27

Should be interesting, I too would like to know which channel Hunt

Brendawymms Wed 18-Sep-13 10:06:16

Which channel and time please. Thanks very much.

whenim64 Wed 18-Sep-13 10:03:26

Thanks, Hunt will look out for that.

Hunt Wed 18-Sep-13 09:26:40

new programme about knitting on the tele tonight. Looks interesting.