Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Embroidery

(12 Posts)
PRINTMISS Sun 22-Sep-13 09:54:54

Good morning everyone. I have decided to do a piece of embroidery for my grand-daughter for Christmas, and have been looking for a suitable material to embroider on. I don't want a pack, and I do not want to do cross-stitch, just a piece of canvas or cotton or linen that will take some light stitchwork. Does anyone have any ideas where I might buy this, please? Sewing threads are no problem.

annodomini Sun 22-Sep-13 09:59:59

Ebay has all kinds of fabrics.

Oldgreymare Sun 22-Sep-13 10:00:37

Mail order, Debbie Cripps I think, she used to have a shop here selling everything you would need but is now mail order.

Elegran Sun 22-Sep-13 10:03:42

What kind of threads will you use for it, Printmiss? If it stranded cotton, or a similar weight, I could send you a bit of Aida fabric to work on. It is the squared weave that cross-stitch is done on. I have lots of 11 threads to the inch, and some 14 and even a little 18 to the inch.

J52 Sun 22-Sep-13 10:54:50

How about a Christmas or other theme printed picture panel that you can personalise with stitchery and appliqué? Craft and sewing shops sell the panels for quilts and cushions. X

Hunt Sun 22-Sep-13 23:22:10

Good quality curtain lining is good and comes in a variety of suitably neutral colours. It is also nice and firm.I've used it for several projects.

PRINTMISS Mon 23-Sep-13 08:51:20

Thanks for all the suggestions, and youElegran for the offer. I think I am going to go for Hunt's idea and have a look at curtain lining, I had not thought of that, but I have an idea it might do very well. I intend to embroider my grand-daughters name and add a little cat, since she loves her 'BUZZ'. Thanks to you all again

Elegran Mon 23-Sep-13 09:17:47

Enjoy the project, Printmiss. When it is finished, can you take a photo and post it so that we can see?

Aspen Mon 23-Sep-13 10:24:46

If you are interested in embroidery have you Googled "The Great Scottish Tapestry" sound fantastic, Hope it comes south.

MargaretX Mon 23-Sep-13 10:51:03

As someone who does fine embroidery, I can recommend Willow Fabrics Knutsford, on line of course, in case you don't live in Manchester.
They have everything and you can buy just a small amount of fabric.Free patterns and charts for even simple designs.
The best are Zweigart linens and cottons.
You will only get the best result if you use a decent fabric.

Just out of interest. In 1998 they had a pen pals page for embroiderers and I made friends with my friend from California. We are stiill friends and we are meeting up next month for the fourth time in 15 years.
I know her so well I can hardly believe we are are internet friends from a time when Facebook and GN were not even thought of. I feel I have known her all my life.

PRINTMISS Mon 23-Sep-13 16:56:23

Thanks again for all the info, I will of course look at everything. Just put this on here in case anyone had any ideas, I should have known someone would. Not sure about photographing the finished article Elegran will see how it turns out. It is a long time since I did any embroidery - I remember in the first flush of marriage I initialled all our sheets and pillow cases, with a T and D entwined - ahhhhhh......., but f course I have done some since then.

PRINTMISS Mon 23-Sep-13 16:59:03

sorry MargaretX I had meant to say how nice it must be to have a friend in America who enjoys the same thing you do. Even better that you can meet up and chat. The Americans really enjoy their handicrafts don't they.