Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting patterns

(16 Posts)
marshmarigold132 Fri 27-Sep-13 17:25:10

Does anyone know of a good site to find free knitting patterns? Thanks for any suggestions.

MrsSB Fri 27-Sep-13 17:35:13

You could try Knitting Pattern Central or Ravelry. Lots of free patterns on both. Sorry, no idea how to do links but if you Google them you should be able to find them both.

thatbags Fri 27-Sep-13 17:41:40

Also Drops Design (garnstudio).

tanith Fri 27-Sep-13 21:40:13

www.ravelry.com/

www.knittingpatterncentral.com/

Brendawymms Sat 28-Sep-13 17:11:58

Drops designs also known as garn studio. All their patterns are free. Revelry is also good but not all are free.

marshmarigold132 Wed 02-Oct-13 15:43:36

Thanks to everyone who answered my query about free knitting patterns.

Rosiebee Tue 15-Oct-13 09:34:18

There's a website www.yarnspirations.com where you'll find lots of patterns for knitting and crochet. A lot of them free. I've downloaded some crochet ones and have just had to remember to convert some of the stitches from American to UK. I don't know if that's the same with knitting. Some lovely ideas for knitting and crochet. I always struggle to find modern crochet patterns.

pattieb Sun 03-Nov-13 15:49:48

Knittingparadise.com

Is great for free patterns and chat

Grannyknot Sun 03-Nov-13 19:47:46

I've been hunting for a pattern for a shrug and found a wonderful vintage Vogue pattern today on Etsy www.etsy.com - it cost the princely sum of £2.90 so am happy and can't wait to get started on 2 of them for my daughter and new DIL for Christmas.

janeainsworth Sun 03-Nov-13 21:52:56

Which one is it Grannyknot?
www.etsy.com/uk/search/vintage?q=knitting%20patterns%20vintage%20shrug&order=most_relevant&view_type=gallery&ship_to=GB&ref=auto3

Grannyknot Mon 04-Nov-13 12:34:16

1950 Vogue shrug - second one along on the second row... smile

Gally Mon 04-Nov-13 13:15:48

Nice one GK. I'm sure your DD and DiL will love them. I also like the 60's one immediately beneath it. If only I could knit........(well, I can, I just get stuck!)

janeainsworth Mon 04-Nov-13 13:30:54

That looks lovely Grannyknot
Gally perhaps there's a knitting group somewhere near you that would help you out?

overthehill Mon 04-Nov-13 19:13:33

I am knitting again after not bothering for many years

This is because I joined a knitting club.

Not eveything has been a sucess but I am knitting a boys jumper at the.moment which looks very nice and this time I bought a pattern and the wool which went with it.

I am tempted always to go in Poundstretcher and buy their cheap stuff, but.for me anyway, it seems buying yarn and pattern to.match makes for a mor successful outcome.

Grannyknot Mon 04-Nov-13 19:26:07

oth part of the thrill for me is buying the best wool I can afford (but must be washable because most of the stuff I knit goes to people who will chuck it in the wash) - and I do hate knitting with acrylic wools. It is expensive but I feel happy to be supporting the wool industry. It's about the feel of the yran for me as much as the creative bit.

Brendawymms Mon 04-Nov-13 19:44:54

There are many on line wool providers but my favorite is the Wool Warehouse. My favorite yarns for price and quality iare all the Drops yarns. With the free patterns from Garns Studio the job is sewn up.
The crochet chain and Deramores are also good with similar costs but I have found the Wool Warehouse the most reliable for being able to supply what I want.