Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Help!

(18 Posts)
Aka Sat 05-Oct-13 15:18:22

The pattern says 'continue knitting without decreasing until armhole measures 14cms.

Do I measure round the armhole or across the armhole or what? confused

Bez Sat 05-Oct-13 15:25:03

From where you cast off or started the armhole and measure straight up - easiest if you can put it on a flat surface to measure. I often push a knitting needle in a straight line across the work to have a base line and then you can measure up in a straight line more easily.

Aka Sat 05-Oct-13 15:31:52

Thank you Bez smile where else could I get this sort of help so quickly. None of my friends knit and when I tried to ask MiL (a great knitter in her time) she said to use a bigger needle!!!

Agus Sat 05-Oct-13 15:53:47

I'm almost finished knitting a sleeping bag for GD2s dolly. GD has asked me to have it finished for the wintergrin

Aka Sat 05-Oct-13 16:08:33

That's a lovely idea. Did you use a pattern or make it up yourself? I'm knitting one of those little crossover cardigans for GD's 4th birthday later this month as she's just started dancing class. She shows no aptitude at all but loves it hmm

Agus Sat 05-Oct-13 16:23:01

Aka' I made the mistake of showing both GDs aged 8 and 4,a Wendy pattern book full of patterns for dollies. They have asked me to knit everything in the book, outfits for each of their dollies!!

I am teaching the 8yr old to knit and the younger one has a small pair of needles, big ball of wool and what looks like spaghetti on her lapgrin

Doesn't matter if your GD has no aptitude for dancing per se, as long as she has fun.

Aka Sat 05-Oct-13 16:28:20

My 7-year old GS wants me to knit some clothes for his doll. OK I'm fine with that, aren't I?

At least GD1 will look the part Agus.

I did wonder about teaching her to knit when she's older, but wonder if I should offer GS1 the same oprtunity. Trouble is, if he says yes, my SiL may not be too happy. He wasn't overjoyed with the doll I bought him (he keeps it at my house) when his baby brother was born.

Agus Sat 05-Oct-13 20:28:44

My Granny taught me how to knit but we were also, aged 7, taught at school. Girls and boys. That was in the 50's! Knitting socks no less.
DH proudly did a couple of rows of DD1s first cardi. That was his limit.

My uncle took up knitting when he retired and made a beautiful shawl for our first born DD.

Tell SiL,knitting isn't a gender changing pastime.grin.

Maybe find out what your daughter thinks of the idea.

annodomini Sat 05-Oct-13 20:56:00

Aka, my DS1 knitted a stripey scarf for his teddy which was the limit of his achievement. He must have been about 5 at the time and as far as I know hasn't knitted since.

Stansgran Sat 05-Oct-13 21:01:57

My maternal GM disapproved of me wanting to knit. It's men's work. Her family was from the Shetlands.i doubt if it is the same now

Agus Sat 05-Oct-13 21:25:48

I've never heard about any Shetland men knitting. The men were always out at sea to make a living through fishing. The women cared for the crops, brought in the peat and started knitting when they had any free time with wool they took from the sheep they tended.

Hebs Sat 05-Oct-13 21:30:57

Men still knit in the hebrides

glassortwo Sat 05-Oct-13 23:02:47

I have just started DGD aged 5yrs French knitting, she is loving it, onto knitting next I think.

Hebs Sat 05-Oct-13 23:16:29

We used to use an old cotton reel with 4 nails knocked in, Its lovely that its still being done

glassortwo Sat 05-Oct-13 23:44:45

hebridean I bought a set from shhhhh that online store Am****, I got a set with a doll and a few small balls of wool for around £5.

Hebs Sat 05-Oct-13 23:54:11

That is so lovely, the joy of when it comes out the hole at the bottom with a bit of tugging, enjoy, and when you change colour and wait for it to appear, I have had a drink but Thanks for bring back lovely memories

glassortwo Sat 05-Oct-13 23:59:56

DGD dropped a few loops, but we soon had that sorted, and her face as to popped out of the bottom was priceless.

PRINTMISS Sun 06-Oct-13 07:55:59

When I was young (a long time ago!) I had a red 'pixie' hat which was my pride and joy, because my dad had knitted it for me. It was basically a scarf folded in half and stitched half way down, to form a hat. Quite a bit later than that I took part in a charity 'knit in' - we sat and knitted squares for 2 hours, and were asked to get sponsors for how many squares we knitted, the squares being used for blankets and the cash for charity. Sorry - wandered off the point there! A gentleman joined the ladies - much to everyone's amusement, but he did extremely well. Men shoud try it instead of kicking each other on the football pitch.