Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

knitting question for novice

(25 Posts)
ioyugjc Thu 03-Apr-14 08:17:59

Yes, some do-it-yourself knitted things will be much better than outside. Especially for a child to pay attention more. I also often weave some of the things in the right knitting class when dry.

margaretm74 Wed 08-Jan-14 12:12:48

ps when I was searching for the best way to "soften up" the garment I had knitted in baby wool (just handwash and fabric softener worked well, then blocked the garment) I found a site about knitting nappies in wool. That's a step too far surely!

margaretm74 Wed 08-Jan-14 12:09:54

girlracer - my DGDs wear knitted cardies and jumpers - velour is lovely and soft but not always warm enough, especially now that fuel prices are so high so perhaps houses are not kept as "hot". I tend to knit in a very soft baby yarn (patons fairytale or sirdar snuggly) and it washes well according to my DIL. I did knit one in baby DK wool for smaller DGD but it seemed a bit thick and heavy when I finished it. She wears it instead of a coat or perhaps in the car. But DIL always seems pleased when I knit for the DGDs, and they do wear them.

Nonny Tue 31-Dec-13 19:03:40

Deramores are an excellent site for both patterns and wool. I was able to have wool delivered the next day when a local shop here failed to provide a promised ball of yarn for me to finish a Christmas present. I will use them again.

Elegran Tue 31-Dec-13 15:30:32

Try this. www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/category.php?id=1

I think it must be a sub-section of Garnstudio.

mrsmopp Tue 31-Dec-13 14:23:36

Got it now. What a fabulous website!!! Thank you so much.
There are lots of lovely things on here to make. I'm delighted.

penguinpaperback Mon 30-Dec-13 23:56:17

I have tried www.DROPS.com but I managed to get an Italian Umbrella manufacturers site. confused

penguinpaperback Mon 30-Dec-13 23:46:36

I only know this one mrsmopp www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/kategori_oversikt.php

mrsmopp Mon 30-Dec-13 23:38:58

I can't get into the DROPS website. Possibly the autocorrect changes it to lower case and it's a different website.
Pity I cannot access it :-(

MargaretX Mon 14-Oct-13 19:58:49

No it is www.DROPS.com It could be - because it has hundreds of patterns- that you need a powerful computer to get them and download their stuff.

constance Mon 14-Oct-13 17:42:20

is Drops this one: http://www.garnstudio.com ?
Looks brilliant.
Aran patterns really take me back to when my mum would knit for all her grandkids. The patterns on drops look really lovely. Top Tip Thanks

MargaretX Sun 13-Oct-13 17:17:52

jeannie99 Its DROPS.com. You need the capital letters to get the right web page. Its in all languages.

Cressida Sun 13-Oct-13 15:23:09

www.deramores.com/jacket-cap-mittens-in-stylecraft-special-aran-4174

This is my favourite aran pattern. I've knitted it several times for my grandchildren & when my DIL's sister found out she was pregnant she wanted a jacket, hat & mitts set, too.

Gorki Fri 11-Oct-13 15:23:40

Welcome to Gransnet anntitchnernanny9. Intriguing name!!

petallus Fri 11-Oct-13 14:58:31

A quick way to knit a DK pattern in chunky and maintain the size would be to use smaller needles.

However, the garment would be quite thick and maybe unsuitable for a baby.

anntitchnernanny9 Fri 11-Oct-13 14:43:16

Message to Girlracer. I have just join the gransnet and read what you said about knitting for a baby. I have knitted some lovely things for my grandchild which is expected in November. There are some lovely patterns for blankets shawls and coats etc. there is nothing better than to see a new born baby in lovely hand knitted things. And also you get so
much joy in knitted them. My family and friends cant get enough of them.I also like knitted toys.{}

anntitchnernanny9 Fri 11-Oct-13 14:42:10

Message to Girlracer. I have just join the gransnet and read what you said about knitting for a baby. I have knitted some lovely things for my grandchild which is expected in November. There are some lovely patterns for blankets shawls and coats etc. there is nothing better than to see a new born baby in lovely hand knitted things. And also you get so
much joy in knitted them. My family and friends cant get enough of them.I also like knitted toys.{}

Smiter Thu 10-Oct-13 19:59:43

if you register on Ravelry.com you will find loads and loads of free patterns.

girlracer Thu 10-Oct-13 19:52:52

Do babies wear knitted stuff these days? Most things in the shops are easy-wash non-iron velour. Don't waste your time knitting something he or she will never wear. Knit toys instead, like I do!

Brendawymms Thu 10-Oct-13 19:00:11

Yes Drops for free patterns and Wool Warehouse for reasonable price yarns.

J52 Thu 10-Oct-13 18:06:45

Why not make a striped baby rug in the Aran wool with big needles. It could go on the pram or be put on the floor for the baby to lie on. I'm making one for anticipated March grandchild. The background is cream with a variety of purple/pinkish-blue stripes made with random wools that take my fancy. I will edge with pink or blue and add crochet decorations, after arrival, when we know!! Happy knitting x

jeanie99 Thu 10-Oct-13 17:10:20

Hi Margaret and Aka

I was thinking of knitting a little jacket with hood for a 6 to 12 month baby as I have knitted enough of the smaller sizes.

I hadn't thought about whether there could be a problem with a thicker wool.

Thank you so much for your advice, as you can imagine I wouldn't do anything to hurt this precious bungle we have waited so long for.

I'll have a look at the drops site, thank you.

Aka Thu 10-Oct-13 14:23:08

If you've knitted plenty for your first grandchild (incidentally congratulations) why not knit yourself something nice and cuddly in chunky so when you cuddle the little one you'll be all snuggly too?

MargaretX Thu 10-Oct-13 14:05:59

I would not use chunky aron wool for a baby or toddler until you are sure that they don't find wool scratchy.
I have knitted all life and even now knit for older GDs who love my cuddly real wool cardigans and over-jeans dresses.
I always knitted a little jacket in jeans colour wool- the pattern was in The Lady about 10 years ago when my GC were born.
Lots of patterns show children in thick knits but in my experience children prefer something thinner that they can move about in easily and don't get too hot in.

www.DROPS.com have patterns in all wools, all sizes 100s and 100s of patterns.

jeanie99 Thu 10-Oct-13 10:07:57

I've not knitted for years until my daughter told me she was having a baby.

I've been knitting baby clothes in DK wool for my first grandchild who is expected this month.

I have seen chunky and aron wool in a colour which I like but cannot find a pattern in this wool. We only have a couple of shops in our area so not much selection.

I don't know if this is something you can do or not but

I have a pattern in DK which I like is there a formula for converting DK stitch numbers to chunky or aron.

Thanks everybody.