Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Sewing machine problem episode 2

(32 Posts)
Mishap Tue 05-Nov-13 19:08:04

I have worked out why my new sewing machine is causing problems and getting in a knot. The spool on the reel of thread that I am using sticks out above and below the thread and makes it impossible to put on the plastic cap that holds it on the top of the machine. Without that the thread jumps about and gets slack and causes it to twine around the arm that goes up and down - my old machine had a hole in the arm that goes up and down and you threaded the cotton through it - but the new one slots in and is not held in the hole.

I am sure this is as clear as mud! But, suffice to say, I will be buying the old-fashioned fat "reels" from now on.

Elegran Thu 13-Feb-14 19:42:04

nellie On the Folksy site there are a whole load of people making and selling bunting. You could make a fortune!

Soutra Thu 13-Feb-14 23:35:19

Oh Nelliemoser I made miles many metres of bunting for DD3's wedding too!! We used different colours of gingham and it looked lovely! SIL endeared himself to me for life when he said in his speech that they had bought all this gingham and shared it between 2 teams - Team A was DD2, himself,my niece,... about 4 other people and Team B was ....(pause) his MIL!! Modest blush emoticon!! It has been loaned out on at least 2 more occasions which is just as well as when I offered to help, I had forgotten that DD2 had my sewing machine (she uses it for costumes etc) so I had to go and buy myself a new one. Not the cheapest bunting ever produced!

Culag Fri 14-Feb-14 13:35:44

I've just given myself a pat on the back. I've serviced my mother's old treadle sewing machine, and in doing so realised what had gone wrong with my electric one and managed to fix it!

Maybe I should have a second career as a mechanic! Just need a lackey to carry the blessed things!

FlicketyB Fri 14-Feb-14 14:44:42

A good way to find a sewing machine repairman is to go into a local needle craft shop and ask. That is how I found one.

Nelliemoser Fri 14-Feb-14 15:46:25

Flickety* They are few and far between these days.

The nearest place to us worth going to apart from posh curtain fabric shops is 10 miles away.

It is a big fabric, haberdashery & knitting store. It only seems to have branches in Lancashire, Cheshire,Stoke and North Wales.
There is an excellent range of products. You can buy fabric measured by the yard and it's charged by weight.

It's not a pretty shop but very useful indeed and always busy.

For anyone in these areas try,
https://www.abakhan.co.uk/

FlicketyB Fri 14-Feb-14 19:42:47

We have Mason's of Abingdon, three shops 1) curtains and knitting, 2) fabrics and anything to do with sewing, 3) embroidery, woolwork crafts and ribbon.

As you say nelliemoser not pretty shops but very useful and always busy. I was in 1) today getting wool and needles to teach DGD how to knit and also buy some curtain tape. Last week I was in 1 & 2 buying materials and ribbon for a quilt.