Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

How do I tell if my pompom is thick enough?

(27 Posts)
Aka Sun 29-Dec-13 15:06:28

Knitted myself a Tam O'Shanter but the pompom causing me a problem. Hiw will I know it's time to stop winding wool and it's ready to pompomate?

penguinpaperback Mon 30-Dec-13 23:38:54

Sorry I should have said you can get a teeny tiny pompom maker and with that one you can make smaller bobbles to add to lampshades, tie backs.

penguinpaperback Mon 30-Dec-13 23:01:37

I think they are worth the money because they are so quick and instant. And once you start looking you do seem to find pompoms everywhere. You can add them to the bottom of lampshades, on tiebacks for curtains, jolly up a tired cushion cover and my GC especially love pompom bunting.
I saw some in John Lewis as Christmas tree decorations.
Happy pompom making. smile

yogagran Mon 30-Dec-13 21:08:17

Just go to the Amazon website and type in "pom pom maker", there are lots and lots. I've learnt something new today, thanks GNetters

Thistledoo Mon 30-Dec-13 20:40:28

Off to see if I can find a pom pom maker tomorrow. Just spend ages making pom poms for DGD little hat. Patience running out .

Elegran Mon 30-Dec-13 17:18:22

Do you remember making pompoms with the cardboard tops that used to be on bottles of milk? They had press-out centres that left a hole just the right size.

jennycockerspaniel Mon 30-Dec-13 16:37:19

Thank you I wondered if they would be easier I will get some I just thought the postage was high I will look at others

penguinpaperback Mon 30-Dec-13 00:21:09

I use pompom makers and they are very quick. The GC love them. I even have a heart shaped pompom maker and an extra large pompom maker. All by Clover.

Tegan Sun 29-Dec-13 23:37:15

Blow me; just read in todays Observer how fashionable pom pom hats are. Now going to have a rumage through various drawers to see where all of mine are [I'm sure I haven't thrown any away!].

jennycockerspaniel Sun 29-Dec-13 23:01:10

i have checked these and thought postage expensive They look plastic and should not weigh much and its from England I thought Ebay monitored postage cost I Thought we could make chicks ect for Easter my GC and I

shysal Sun 29-Dec-13 17:26:28

I find pompom - making very tedious, so I was delighted to see on one of Kirstie Allsop's crafty TV programmes that you can buy a useful gadget to make them easily. Haven't received them yet.
pompom maker

Aka Sun 29-Dec-13 17:19:05

Only one pompom and one colour wool. Just finished it so thanks for all the help. Will post photo on Thought for the Day thread.
Kitty this is a knitting thread tchshock

glammanana Sun 29-Dec-13 16:36:38

Aka are you making it one colour or doing it multi-coloured ? tchgrin

Nonu Sun 29-Dec-13 16:32:26

Well Kitty time and time alone , will tell !!

tchgrin

kittylester Sun 29-Dec-13 16:25:41

I thought this might be a thread that had wandered from one of those x-rated ones -I'm still not sure! tchgrin

JessM Sun 29-Dec-13 16:15:44

some of the hats in today's Observer fashion section have two.

Aka Sun 29-Dec-13 15:56:40

Yes, aiming for perky pompom; floppy one not an option!

Soutra Sun 29-Dec-13 15:50:00

Less floppy is always good tchblush

tanith Sun 29-Dec-13 15:45:36

I used a darning needle to get the wool through the hole in the disc when it got really too small to feed the wool through, it makes the pom-pom much less floppy grin and much sturdier IFYSWIM grin

Aka Sun 29-Dec-13 15:31:27

tchsmile

Natsnan Sun 29-Dec-13 15:29:29

Aka, I really wish we had a "like" button smile. That made me laugh out loud, thank you !

Aka Sun 29-Dec-13 15:25:16

Talking of pompoms I've just bought a new bra and as I'm winding the wool through this donut thingy, I keep looking down and wondering what these two things are that sit so high instead of drooping!

Aka Sun 29-Dec-13 15:23:22

Too b****y right just the one Soutra hmm

Soutra Sun 29-Dec-13 15:21:38

Just the one pompom Aka? tchgrin

Aka Sun 29-Dec-13 15:18:41

Or I run out of wool and/or patience?

Thanks for telling me i'm now fashionable, that'll surprise my DD grin

JessM Sun 29-Dec-13 15:11:38

Incredibly fashionable apparently, hats with bobbles.
The diameter of your discs will be the approx diameter of the bobble and you keep winding until you are struggling to get the wool through. (It's amazing the things we learned in Brownies !)