Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting a scarf in a cobwebby yarn

(5 Posts)
margaretm74 Thu 30-Jan-14 19:24:54

Found a picture of the pattern (how daft of me not to look before I posted!). It is growing quite quickly on 5.5mm needles, I bought 2 balls but may only need one I think, 100g in a ball.
It seems to be coming out in a set pattern, I cast on 30 stitches so it's fairly narrow like the one with the fringe in the pattern. I may not do the fringe. Am knitting it in black, which the lady in the local wool shop had used for knitting the cardigan and top.

Thank you again

Dragonfly1 Thu 30-Jan-14 19:15:47

Good luck, please post how it goes, I'd quite like to have a go with it!

margaretm74 Thu 30-Jan-14 14:15:28

Thanks Dragonfly. Have seen it made up into a cardigan in the local shop. It is cotton with acrylic, a bit strange to work with, but looking quite good. I think I'll carry on with it straight and make it very long to loop around. It's for DD2 who lives in Oz, it's only really cold at night in the winter where she is.

Dragonfly1 Thu 30-Jan-14 14:01:20

Haven't used this particular yarn but there are a couple of patterns online for scarves using it and they suggest 5 or 6mm straight needles. Looks lovely wool!

margaretm74 Thu 30-Jan-14 13:39:38

Has anyone knit anything in King Cole Opium? It is alternately fine and thick, knit on size 6mm and comes out in a "cobwebby" pattern. I started on straight needles, just a single thickness, but wondering whether to rip it all out and knit it like a tube on dpns (never used them before).