Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Art or rubbish?

(45 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 21-Feb-14 00:09:17

Having seen similar contemporary 'art' works this did make me smile.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26270260

Tegan Fri 28-Mar-14 12:33:40

I'd love to hear what art does interest GilMaybe100. I'm always happy to be educated by people with a greater knowledge than my own.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 28-Mar-14 12:29:08

Please post some more. It could be hugely enjoyable. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 28-Mar-14 12:27:38

You a bit fed up with the lot of us GilMaybe100? grin I can understand that grin

Elegran Fri 28-Mar-14 11:59:58

What do you think of "Modern Art" then GilMaybe100? apart from finding anyone else's opinions or stories yawningly boring? Why don't you give us your view?

Ana Fri 28-Mar-14 11:52:32

confused

GilMaybe100 Fri 28-Mar-14 11:47:52

And so many thinks that this an extraordinarily insightful rather than ignorant thing to point out. Yawwwn

Deedaa Sun 23-Feb-14 20:00:19

I remember many years ago dragging taking my son to a David Hockney exhibition at either the Tate or the National. It must be nearly twenty years now but he's still never forgiven me. I don't know what his problem was - I thought it was all brilliant.

Maggiemaybe Sun 23-Feb-14 18:24:12

Salts Mill is wonderful, as is Saltaire itself. If you can, try to go either when the Festival is on, when there's loads of exhibitions, stalls, film shows etc, or during the Arts Trail, when all sorts of artists open their homes to the public and you can just walk in to someone's little kitchen and look at their original artwork on display. But the Mill itself is well worth a visit, and the Hockneys look just right in that superb setting. Plenty of quirky places to eat and drink too, to make a day of it.

I'm not sure about a Sooty exhibition though - there used to be a permanent one in Shipley years ago, but I don't think there is one now?

rosesarered Sun 23-Feb-14 17:55:15

I think the Hockney exhibition in Saltaire is housed in a former mill? I would like to go there sometime.I believe the Sooty exhibition is also in Saltaire?Or it could be Shipley, but somewhere there! Not that the two are as important [of course!]Still, as I like Sooty and also Hockney I could kill 2 birds with one stone. smile

Tegan Sun 23-Feb-14 17:38:53

I was going to go there but it turned out that, at that time the Hockneys were on a sort of world tour [so it would have been a wasted trip]. Still on my tick list of places to go, though [think they're all safely back home now] along with Port Sunlight. I rather liked Hursts 'spotty' picture that I saw the other week, although his chemist shop didn't do much for me [it was just like my dispensary at work]. Couldn't work out why my workplace had been installed in a gallery confused...

Oldgreymare Sun 23-Feb-14 10:31:31

I'm a huge Hockney fan too, spent hours at the RA exhibition. For anyone who hasn't been, Saltaire is a superb place to see a variety of Hockneys. (I'm sure I've raved about it before.... sorry!)
Do you think there will come a time when Emin's and Hurst's works are 'old hat' as newer even more shocking (imho) works are exhibited?

Tegan Sat 22-Feb-14 21:33:26

There was a Francis Bacon painting at the exhibition I went to last month. I absolutely hate his work but I must say that, standing up close to it, the brushwork is very impressive and quite beautiful. It's just that the overall effect is loathesome sad. There was a Hockney swimming pool one there; just a circle in a swimming pool, but, seeing it up close, the circle was very textured.

whitewave Sat 22-Feb-14 20:50:09

Yes I would happily have one of his pieces on my wall

Deedaa Sat 22-Feb-14 20:46:02

David Hockey is a wonderful draughtsman white wave his use of line is beautiful in some of his drawings.

JessM Sat 22-Feb-14 20:28:43

Thank you for another perceptive contribution mice
I was seriously lucky to see the big Hockney exhibition in Bilbao , I went twice. (not at all crowded! Unlike the RA which is always crushed.) And the building is absolutely stunning work of modern art itself.
I am not a fan of the imitation black rubbish bag school of art.
Or of Damien H, Half a pig only interesting for anatomical reasons.
Give me Anish Kappur any day of the week. Including that big twirly thing in the Olympic park.
I saw some Warhol portraits last year - they would not look much if copied in a magazine, but up close you could see the craft and thought.

Elegran Sat 22-Feb-14 19:59:24

Some is. Some is not. It is not all produced in one enormous factory with gallons of paint going in one end and finished canvases coming out at the other. Each artist paints what he/she wants to, in the style that suits them. You can't generalise about something which is made by thousands of different people.

If you look at all the images here I bet you could find a few that you liked.

cathybee Sat 22-Feb-14 19:50:57

GA I think that without a doubt it is Rubbish! How do they get away with it. Ridiculous.

dahlia Sat 22-Feb-14 16:52:48

I took my granddaughter to the Tate Modern at St Ives. We both agreed that one of the paintings was of an elephant, it was in fact a cityscape with not a Nelly in sight.
Sometimes I think it's possible to experience an emotional response to modern art, and I don't mean anger, it's just not always necessary to be able to identify what the artist has drawn/painted.
We have also been to the Baltic in Gateshead, but only to visit the wonderful restaurant at the top, which has a view of Newcastle which is an art work in itself! smile

Joan Sat 22-Feb-14 05:53:50

Tattynansmile

I like a lot of modern art: I certainly love the Impressionists and the Secessionists (eg Klimt), and I love some more modern stuff, but not all. For me, it has to have effective colour and balance, and look good or at least interesting. I went to an Andy Warhol exhibition once, when it came to GOMA (Gallery of Modern Art) in Brisbane. Only some of it impressed me, but of course, he's the one who said "Art is what you can get away with". I was most certainly not impressed with his pictures of soup tins.

At GOMA they have some seriously daft stuff on permanent exhibition. One wall is covered by little framed pictures of those stripy things on price tags - forgotten what they are called. And they have pictures that I wouldn't give house room to; just cheats imho, such as a single blob on a canvas.

I also once went to an exhibition of the Dutch masters in Brisbane. Not modern art of course, but very interesting. They were so very good at capturing light and shadow. No con jobs there - just huge talent.

tattynan Fri 21-Feb-14 20:26:23

Some art is called phoney art or phart for short.

whitewave Fri 21-Feb-14 19:15:29

I do like David Hockney though, if we are talking modern artists.

Elegran Fri 21-Feb-14 18:49:35

There is nothing new under the sun, Tegan and every new "movement" in art started with someone looking at what was being done already and wondering about a slight variation.

Tegan Fri 21-Feb-14 18:33:01

Sometimes I have a think about what I could do artistically that's new and never been thought of before and my mind is a complete blank [nothing new about that though sad].

Elegran Fri 21-Feb-14 18:30:46

The impressionists were condemned as inartistic rubbish at first.

Penstemmon Fri 21-Feb-14 18:26:49

I do find some contemporary art hard to fathom.

It must be quite hard to be a creative artist in 21C because photography has taken over so much..we do not need family portraits painted, or paintings of battles, or the stately home etc as they are all recorded easily by cameras.

Art has often been controversial e.g. contemporaries of Turner thought he was mad with his paintings of light etc etc.

I went to the Saatchi gallery a couple of years ago and joined a talk by one of the curators. Listening to her talk about the paintings , that with my first glance I might have said 'I /MyDGS could have done that', I began to appreciate the images more. Some might have otherwise dismissed as 'rubbish' were contexturalised for me and I could appreciate what the artist was trying to communicate/ achieve. others remained rubbish! grin