Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Just a thought..........wha t do you think?

(33 Posts)
Anne58 Sun 23-Mar-14 16:17:21

For longer than I care to remember I have been able to dash off daft rhymes, verse call it what you will.

In the past I have on occasion written them to order, best man's speeches, special birthdays, other events etc. (I remember a particularly poignant one for the funeral of a friends nephew)

Usually they are just standard verse stuff, but I did a couple of parodies of Shakespeare sonnets on the Pete's Sports Bar thread. I've also from time to time played around with alternative song lyrics (one on *Micelfs red ink thread) including a version of Waltzing Matilda for a work colleague who was emigrating and alternative words to Led Zeppelins "Stairway to Heaven" formed part of my work for English GCSE.

I have been able to produce something even if I don't know the person concerned, providing I'm given a bit of back ground and a couple of anecdotes.

So, if any Grans would like something written for whatever reason, I'd be happy to have a bash!

Anne58 Mon 24-Mar-14 16:56:06

Nonnie I think I would need to do a bit of research as to possible demand etc before taking that step.

HOWEVER thanks to some of the suggestions that have been made I've just had a bit of a light bulb moment! grin

WEDDING PLANNERS! I've just goggled it and there are quite a few in Devon & Cornwall, so I've already emailed one. I think I will put together an email and send it out to all of them. What do you think?

NfkDumpling Mon 24-Mar-14 16:59:10

Good idea. You could start a blog about all of this! (How exactly do people make money from blogs?)

kittylester Mon 24-Mar-14 17:42:15

Damn it, I thought that on my drive home this afternoon and you've beaten me to it!!

You could check out wedding fairs but I'm not sure how much they cost or wedding magazines?

Nfk if blogs get lots of people talking about them, and they are seen to be popular, then people advertise on them. Or you can use them as the basis for a book.

Go phoenix wine

penguinpaperback Mon 24-Mar-14 17:56:54

Ooh River Cottage is a wedding venue and wasn't Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall the founder or one of the founders of Gransnet? Sounds a great idea, Good Luck. smile

janerowena Mon 24-Mar-14 18:41:25

On here it may sound crass, but I went to the funeral of a friend a few weeks ago and his daughter read out a wonderful and very funny poem about him. Heaven only knows how you would advertise that - Poems for EVERY Occasion?

My father had a friend who had to give lots of after-dinner speeches, and he did many of them in rhyme. They are a great ice-breaker, I think it's a lovely idea.

Rhymes for all times?

Brainstorming session, people!

'If you can't say it - I can find the words for you'.

Reasons for Rhymes

Let me put words into your mouth.

In this day and age I think working for yourself is the best way to go, if you can.

Ana Mon 24-Mar-14 18:43:54

Lost for words? I can help!

Anne58 Mon 24-Mar-14 18:46:14

Wow jane some great ideas for names there! What about turning one of them around, "Rhymes for Reasons"?

Great minds, kitty great minds!

PPB will check that out, could be another good starting point.