Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Just a thought..........wha t do you think?

(32 Posts)
Charleygirl Sun 23-Mar-14 17:31:21

Also that ides about contacting Hallmark is excellent.

kittylester Sun 23-Mar-14 17:28:19

Do a blog phoenix and spread the word. We will too!

That's how Jack started, I think!

But I think offering to write specific poems is a brilliant idea! I tried to find someone to write one for DH for our 40th but was unsuccessful. Can you do calligraphy, or so you know someone who does? I would not have had the nerve to read out anything at our party but would have loved to have something to give him to tell him how mu h he means to me! A brilliant idea!!

Anne58 Sun 23-Mar-14 17:13:00

Thanks ladies.

I did try contacting the Western Morning News, but they said no. I also submitted a piece to The Oldie, but that was rejected too.

Bez Sun 23-Mar-14 16:47:21

We have said before Phoenix that maybe you should consider trying to be paid for writing a column or something. You could start maybe by writing an article in your inimitable style about trying to get back into the workforce. You could embellish it with tales from interviews etc and send it to magazines or newspapers and see how you get on. I for one would be pleased to read any of the things you write. flowers

Charleygirl Sun 23-Mar-14 16:43:10

I am sure that there is money in it. Why not make enquiries as suggested?

baubles Sun 23-Mar-14 16:41:18

That's an enviable talent Phoenix, I'd love to be able to write verse. Perhaps a job with Hallmark?...

Anne58 Sun 23-Mar-14 16:17:21

For longer than I care to remember I have been able to dash off daft rhymes, verse call it what you will.

In the past I have on occasion written them to order, best man's speeches, special birthdays, other events etc. (I remember a particularly poignant one for the funeral of a friends nephew)

Usually they are just standard verse stuff, but I did a couple of parodies of Shakespeare sonnets on the Pete's Sports Bar thread. I've also from time to time played around with alternative song lyrics (one on *Micelfs red ink thread) including a version of Waltzing Matilda for a work colleague who was emigrating and alternative words to Led Zeppelins "Stairway to Heaven" formed part of my work for English GCSE.

I have been able to produce something even if I don't know the person concerned, providing I'm given a bit of back ground and a couple of anecdotes.

So, if any Grans would like something written for whatever reason, I'd be happy to have a bash!